ADVERTISEMENT

Manchin says he'll back Jackson for Supreme Court, likely assuring her confirmation

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
McConnell is such an asshole!:

Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin announced Friday that he plans to vote for Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to serve on the Supreme Court, likely assuring the confirmation of President Joe Biden's nominee.
Manchin was a key vote to watch because he has bucked his party on some of its top domestic priorities. But Manchin has backed all of Biden's judicial nominees so far, and he said he would continue to do so in the case of Jackson, who would become the first Black woman to serve on the Supreme Court.
Keep scrolling for a gallery of photos from Ketanji Brown Jackson's historic confirmation hearings

"I am confident Judge Jackson is supremely qualified and has the disposition necessary to serve as our nation's next Supreme Court Justice," Manchin said in a statement.

Manchin's announcement indicates that Jackson will have the support of all 50 Senate Democrats. That would guarantee her confirmation, as Vice President Kamala Harris could break a tie.

Even as the path clears for Jackson to join the court, Democratic hopes of securing significant Republican support for her nomination appear to be fading.
On Thursday, just hours after the hearings came to a close, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell announced he will vote against Jackson's confirmation. He said in a Senate floor speech that he "cannot and will not" support her for a lifetime appointment. Full story and more coverage here:

That's a relief. Or is it? Does that mean she isn't very liberal?

I couldn't stand to watch more than a few minutes of the hearings. I guess the Rs failed to make her out as a tree hugger who would jeopardize fossil energy profits?

That's a relief. Or is it? Does that mean she isn't very liberal?

I couldn't stand to watch more than a few minutes of the hearings. I guess the Rs failed to make her out as a tree hugger who would jeopardize fossil energy profits?
They went with the pedophile angle while peacocking around that we should reconsider interracial marriage.

As annoying as Manchin is, as full of himself he is, and as sooty as he is, he is all that stands in between judges getting through and most legislation, and having Senator Cletus Von Ivermectin representing West Virginia.

I do hold out a small amount of hope that Collins and maybe Murkowski will vote yes. She is in a tough primary, and nothing inflames the GOP core like a black woman not being struck abused. It isn't Romney's time of the month to be rational, so I don't have high hopes when it comes to him. Sasse will vote no, and then crank out another book next year about how it's a dirty shame that America is so divided.

It would have been interesting if Manchin voted no and Romney voted yes.

It isn't Romney's time of the month to be rational, so I don't have high hopes when it comes to him.
What are some examples of Romney being irrational when it’s not his “time of the month”?

They went with the pedophile angle while peacocking around that we should reconsider interracial marriage.
Gee, I wonder why?...

FOlHss4X0Ag1_DT

FOqCD0SXsAYeypa

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT