ADVERTISEMENT

Manning Camp & 2 Deep @ QB this week

Oct 14, 2019
Sorry if this has been posted previously........

So Petrus attended the Manning QB camp with zero improvement. I read that besides dropping 10 pounds to become more mobile/athletic, they identified and fixed fundamental flaws that should help accuracy. When he's had time he's demonstrated he couldn't hit a fat girl at an Ames sorority pancake buffet. I have to believe that he got some outstanding coaching at the camp but it obviously hasn't translated. To me this reinforces that he can only perform in a practice environment and that the games too fast for him, at least in a P5 environment.

As far as the two-deeps this week, KF said in his press conference that (I'll paraphrase) they'd observe this week and make a decision as to who starts Saturday. Rhetorically, how long could they "observe" when the two-deeps are posted likely before practice ended on Monday?

you can’t coach the ability to see the field, check off to secondary receivers, or feel the pass rush. then of course there is also the fact he overthrows receivers when he does have one open. most likely why he supposedly looks so good in practise.

Reactions: hexumhawk
you can’t coach the ability to see the field, check off to secondary receivers, or feel the pass rush. then of course there is also the fact he overthrows receivers when he does have one open. most likely why he supposedly looks so good in practise.
This

what he is missing is the "gamer" aspect. I am sure he can make all the throws when it is practice and it isn't real. When the lights come on he just simply panics and presses.

Reactions: uihawk82
I certainly don’t blame Petras, he clearly is dedicated and has invested a lot to be the best he can. I don’t question his effort or passion, but at the end of the day he just just have “it”. Nothing to be ashamed of, very few do. He seems like a great young man that’s doing his best, but is clearly over his head during games, and it’s ALL on the staff.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
If you've been to an Iowa game the last 2 years you've seen Petras throw a record number of times in the stadium. He literally throws 25 to 35 passes in between each series. Rocketing fast balls at someone assigned to catch them. It's a clear sign of a guy with absolutely 0 confidence in his feel. It's like a golfer taking 15 practice swings before he has to go hit it. I don't see any other quarterback taking nearly as many warm up throws between every series.

If you've been to an Iowa game the last 2 years you've seen Petras throw a record number of times in the stadium. He literally throws 25 to 35 passes in between each series. Rocketing fast balls at someone assigned to catch them. It's a clear sign of a guy with absolutely 0 confidence in his feel. It's like a golfer taking 15 practice swings before he has to go hit it. I don't see any other quarterback taking nearly as many warm up throws between every series.
Did you notice 80-90% of those warm up passes the guy catching them has to reach above his head to catch them? Rarely hits a guy in the numbers even while warming up….I watched closely last game.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Yep. But just the fact he needs 20 warm up throws every change of possession shows how uncomfortable he is with his feel and mechanics. I do feel awful for him because his head coach won't protect him apparently.

So Petrus attended the Manning QB camp with zero improvement. I read that besides dropping 10 pounds to become more mobile/athletic, they identified and fixed fundamental flaws that should help accuracy. . . I have to believe that he got some outstanding coaching at the camp but it obviously hasn't translated.
If going to a camp and losing weight could make a player a star, we'd all be stars. Elite coaching, strenuous weight training, focused film study . . . none of it will take you further than your mental and physical skill set will allow. Great coaching can't turn a .200 hitter into a .300 hitter. If it could, we'd all be in the Hall of Fame.

You can't get out of a player what isn't there to begin with. Usain Bolt could coach me for a year, but I'd never become a world class sprinter.

It shouldn't take years to figure out a kid simply isn't good enough to play QB at the D-1 level.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT