ADVERTISEMENT

Manock Draft Position Rankings

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
In the newest edition, Kittle is listed as the number 5 TE overall in the draft. Desmond King is listed number 4 at nickel back (weird). Those are the only two Hawkeyes ranked in the top 5 of the position groups on O, D, and ST.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings-20

EDIT: Post title should read "Mayock," but spellcheck screwed me and HR doesn't allow editing of the title. Anyway...

In the newest edition, Kittle is listed as the number 5 TE overall in the draft. Desmond King is listed number 4 at nickel back (weird). Those are the only two Hawkeyes ranked in the top 5 of the position groups on O, D, and ST.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mayocks-2017-nfl-draft-position-rankings-20

EDIT: Post title should read "Mayock," but spellcheck screwed me and HR doesn't allow editing of the title. Anyway...
Certainly the combine, helped Kittle's draft status, King not so much. Both will play in the league, no doubt.

I think the media and the people doing these mock drafts over-value the combine, unless something significant is discovered during the poking and prodding of the medical exams or a player bombs in the interview room or fails a drug test... draft boards don't usually change all that much because a guy ran a faster or slower 40, or could rip off 30 reps on the bench.

the game film will usually tell the tale... can a QB make all the throws? They know that before the combine... Can a RB make a cut? Does a guy mind contact? is he willing to tackle?

There are a few work out warriors who's combine opens some eyes, but there's enough film on a guy like to know who he is and what he can do.

I think the media and the people doing these mock drafts over-value the combine, unless something significant is discovered during the poking and prodding of the medical exams or a player bombs in the interview room or fails a drug test... draft boards don't usually change all that much because a guy ran a faster or slower 40, or could rip off 30 reps on the bench.

the game film will usually tell the tale... can a QB make all the throws? They know that before the combine... Can a RB make a cut? Does a guy mind contact? is he willing to tackle?

There are a few work out warriors who's combine opens some eyes, but there's enough film on a guy like to know who he is and what he can do.
For the most part I'd agree. It did seem like Kittle suprised a lot of the "experts", with his work at the combine. At the same time, Iowa has a history of rolling out tight ends who can play in the league, so there's that.

I think what really helped Kittle, was the fact he was known as one of if not the best blocking TE, who also had great hands. His athleticism and speed at the combine certainly added some "gravy" to his profile. Now, he did have some durability issues and a limited body of work, I would say late 3rd round.

Reactions: 5Fan5
I think what really helped Kittle, was the fact he was known as one of if not the best blocking TE, who also had great hands. His athleticism and speed at the combine certainly added some "gravy" to his profile. Now, he did have some durability issues and a limited body of work, I would say late 3rd round.

Don't be surprised if Kittle ends up in Pittsburgh.
They value TE who can block.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Kittle to Dallas, They need to replace the long in the tooth Witten and love the blocking TE

Don't be surprised if Kittle ends up in Pittsburgh.
They value TE who can block.
Thx captain obvious, no wonder Pittsburgh is consistently good. They value football players who are good at obvious elements of the game that are important to specific to their position. I hope the bears get a GM who values a QB who can throw or a DE that can pass rush

Thx captain obvious, no wonder Pittsburgh is consistently good. They value football players who are good at obvious elements of the game that are important to specific to their position. I hope the bears get a GM who values a QB who can throw or a DE that can pass rush

My point was Mr. Smartguy that some teams use the TE position differently.
Some want the explosive playmaker to spread the field, other like the Steelers value the TE more if they are a good blocker.
I get what you're saying but maybe you don't get my point.....

Some want the explosive playmaker to spread the field, other like the Steelers value the TE more if they are a good blocker.
Lol, I was just being a smart ass. My bad, I made myself laugh though

Please give me the list of NFL teams not looking for an explosive play making TE that can spread the field. You know who the Stealers were expecting to be their starting TE this year and what his profile is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT