ADVERTISEMENT

Maquoketa Caves Campground Shooting

70609228.jpg

You can’t go to school, you can’t go to a parade, you can’t go to church in Ames Iowa, you can’t go to a family campground in Iowa, and just have any reassurance that you can be safe. And then you have people on these boards talking about how awesome A.R. 15’s are, how everybody needs more guns to protect themselves and each other, all the same insanity.

The gun cult is the Trump cult is the racist white supremacist and Christian fundamentalist cult is the death cult, by and large.

This was a tragedy for all who have died, and everyone who was just trying to have a little vacation in a beautiful park. It just makes me sick.

You can’t go to school, you can’t go to a parade, you can’t go to church in Ames Iowa, you can’t go to a family campground in Iowa, and just have any reassurance that you can be safe. And then you have people on these boards talking about how awesome A.R. 15’s are, how everybody needs more guns to protect themselves and each other, all the same insanity.

The gun cult is the Trump cult is the racist white supremacist and Christian fundamentalist cult is the death cult, by and large.

This was a tragedy for all who have died, and everyone who was just trying to have a little vacation in a beautiful park. It just makes me sick.
We've let this happen and it's only going to get worse.

Ames was a domestic situation with a handgun, pretty sure this is going to be a domestic situation with a handgun. At least both of those ended with the @$$hole off the face of the earth.

Ames was a domestic situation with a handgun, pretty sure this is going to be a domestic situation with a handgun. At least both of those ended with the @$$hole off the face of the earth.
I have the same feeling, I don't believe this was a random act of violence but the bodies are still warm so I'd imagine it might be a few days until we get a better picture.

Three people were killed in an early-morning shooting at an Iowa state park on Friday before the apparent gunman killed himself, according to authorities.
Mike Krapfl, special agent in charge of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said at a news conference that authorities responded to reports of a shooting at the Maquoketa Caves State Park Campground in eastern Iowa shortly before 6:30 a.m. When officers arrived at the scene, they found three people dead, Krapfl said. Authorities have yet to release the names of the victims or specify how they died.

As officials searched the 370-acre state park, Krapfl said they found the body of a camper with a self-inflicted gunshot wound who they believe was the gunman. Authorities identified him as Anthony Sherwin, a 23-year-old man from Nebraska. Investigators had not named a motive in the shooting as of Friday afternoon.

Officials noted there is no ongoing threat to the public. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources announced the park has been shut down.
“The entire park is closed until further notice,” the campground wrote in a notice on its website.
The campground was evacuated early Friday, including a children’s summer camp that was faced with the “emergency situation.”
“We evacuated camp as soon as we learned about it,” Camp Shalom wrote on its Facebook page.
Known as a destination for spelunkers and hikers, Maquoketa Caves State Park has more caves than any other state park in Iowa. Located about 61 miles northeast of Cedar Rapids, Maquoketa Caves State Park features 13 caves, including Dancehall Cave, which is approximately 800 feet long, according to its website.

Friday’s shooting comes more than a month after a man shot and killed two women before killing himself in a church parking lot in Ames, Iowa. Jonathan Lee Whitlatch, 33, had shot two women from the congregation — 22-year-old Eden Mariah Montang and 21-year-old Vivian Renee Flores — while a program was going on inside the church on June 2, according to the Story County Sheriff’s Office. When police arrived, the gunman appeared to have died of a self-inflicted wound, Story County Sheriff Capt. Nicholas Lennie told reporters.
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) said in a statement that she was “horrified by the shooting this morning at Maquoketa Caves State Park and devastated by the loss of three innocent lives.”
“As we grieve this unimaginable tragedy, Kevin and I pray for the victims’ family members and the law enforcement officers who responded to the scene,” she said on Twitter. “We ask Iowans to do the same.”

This was a tragedy for all who have died, and everyone who was just trying to have a little vacation in a beautiful park. It just makes me

More than likely the guy comes from a dysfunctional family. The traditional family structure continues to be weakened. I guess we will find out.

Not sure yet if it was a domestic situation but police have implied that the shooter and his three victims were camping together before the killings.

Maybe they sent him snipe hunting last night and he was humiliated to the point of wanting revenge.

Not sure yet if it was a domestic situation but police have implied that the shooter and his three victims were camping together before the killings.

Maybe they sent him snipe hunting last night and he was humiliated to the point of wanting revenge.
I'm guessing someone took the last beer, or pissed in his. Or burned his marshmallow.

OMFG.

Domestic situation + guns = TRAGEDY

without the guns, much less suicide, homocide, mass shootings
Thank God this mom didn't have a gun, TRAGEDY averted. Dumbass.
Most likely neither of those two situations change even if guns aren't involved. Sick people are going to kill others.

Three people were killed in an early-morning shooting at an Iowa state park on Friday before the apparent gunman killed himself, according to authorities.
Mike Krapfl, special agent in charge of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said at a news conference that authorities responded to reports of a shooting at the Maquoketa Caves State Park Campground in eastern Iowa shortly before 6:30 a.m. When officers arrived at the scene, they found three people dead, Krapfl said. Authorities have yet to release the names of the victims or specify how they died.

As officials searched the 370-acre state park, Krapfl said they found the body of a camper with a self-inflicted gunshot wound who they believe was the gunman. Authorities identified him as Anthony Sherwin, a 23-year-old man from Nebraska. Investigators had not named a motive in the shooting as of Friday afternoon.

Officials noted there is no ongoing threat to the public. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources announced the park has been shut down.
“The entire park is closed until further notice,” the campground wrote in a notice on its website.
The campground was evacuated early Friday, including a children’s summer camp that was faced with the “emergency situation.”
“We evacuated camp as soon as we learned about it,” Camp Shalom wrote on its Facebook page.
Known as a destination for spelunkers and hikers, Maquoketa Caves State Park has more caves than any other state park in Iowa. Located about 61 miles northeast of Cedar Rapids, Maquoketa Caves State Park features 13 caves, including Dancehall Cave, which is approximately 800 feet long, according to its website.

Friday’s shooting comes more than a month after a man shot and killed two women before killing himself in a church parking lot in Ames, Iowa. Jonathan Lee Whitlatch, 33, had shot two women from the congregation — 22-year-old Eden Mariah Montang and 21-year-old Vivian Renee Flores — while a program was going on inside the church on June 2, according to the Story County Sheriff’s Office. When police arrived, the gunman appeared to have died of a self-inflicted wound, Story County Sheriff Capt. Nicholas Lennie told reporters.
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) said in a statement that she was “horrified by the shooting this morning at Maquoketa Caves State Park and devastated by the loss of three innocent lives.”
“As we grieve this unimaginable tragedy, Kevin and I pray for the victims’ family members and the law enforcement officers who responded to the scene,” she said on Twitter. “We ask Iowans to do the same.”

And the kids in a summer camp called SHALOM, ruined, scarred mentally.

Do all the gun cultists just think of this as “collateral damage “so they can have their “freedom “?

with all these guns and all these policies that make buying them so easily, it is a situation that by design is sanctioned constant threat of violence, the exact opposite of shalom.

and you would think that super religious people who hate abortion and love guns would want peace and want to beat swords into plowshares, but no, they want plowshares melted and cast into AR 15s.

Thank God this mom didn't have a gun, TRAGEDY averted. Dumbass.
Most likely neither of those two situations change even if guns aren't involved. Sick people are going to kill others.

A truly sick and twisted and delusional take.

You think a mother or another family member would’ve been able to defend themselves at that point?

They were in a CAMPGROUND. kids and families all over. And you want a shootout at the OK corral?

by your logic everyone should be packing heat at all times and ready to defend themselves by firing away, assuming that they know exactly when and whom and where they should shoot. Studies have shown that in muggings and stick up situation, for example, it is so much more dangerous to you, the victim, to pull out a gun. The more guns the more violence. The good guy with a gun thing is an extreme tiny small percentage of the situations.

Absolutely sick. Absolutely Brutish and monstrous take you have here sir. You don’t want to live in a society or in a civilization. Would you want is an entire country either playing Russian roulette or a Mexican standoff or both 24/7/365.

A country that has a constant state of threat and violence at all times is by definition totalitarian. It is the opposite of free. It is sanctioned terrorism. it is nazi Germany and North Korea.

We've let this happen and it's only going to get
Hand gun, assault rifles, it doesn't matter. Too many in circulation and way too easy to get.
What if it was a 12 gauge pump? Should we get rid of all guns? Is that what you are saying? I have two 12 gauges and a 22 caliber semi auto rifle. Should we ban those with the AR’s?

Reactions: TheUniversalVictim
A truly sick and twisted and delusional take.

You think a mother or another family member would’ve been able to defend themselves at that point?

They were in a CAMPGROUND. kids and families all over. And you want a shootout at the OK corral?

by your logic everyone should be packing heat at all times and ready to defend themselves by firing away, assuming that they know exactly when and whom and where they should shoot. Studies have shown that in muggings and stick up situation, for example, it is so much more dangerous to you, the victim, to pull out a gun. The more guns the more violence. The good guy with a gun thing is an extreme tiny small percentage of the situations.

Absolutely sick. Absolutely Brutish and monstrous take you have here sir. You don’t want to live in a society or in a civilization. Would you want is an entire country either playing Russian roulette or a Mexican standoff or both 24/7/365.

A country that has a constant state of threat and violence at all times is by definition totalitarian. It is the opposite of free. It is sanctioned terrorism. it is nazi Germany and North Korea.
I think you missed my point. You said that a domestic situation + gun = Tragedy. I posted a link to a domestic situation that didn't involve a gun yet three children died so in your mind it must not have been a tragedy. Then I said that at least in the Ames situation, it would probably have ended the same way without a gun at some point as a sick individual wanted to harm another individual, but maybe the other lady survives. I don't know what happened today so I don't know how a lack of gun would have changed things there. Maybe only one of the three people dies?

ADVERTISEMENT