ADVERTISEMENT

Maquoketa Caves Campground Shooting

Perhaps every State having Red Flag laws?

We don't know if there was some kind of confrontation the night before, but the shooter clearly should not have possessed a gun.

But the NRA doesn't want that and those political campaigns don't fund themselves.
Do we even know if red flag laws would have prevented him from getting a gun?

I haven’t been able to find any information on his background, criminal or psychological, and I haven’t even heard yet what type of gun be used or when/where/how he obtained it.

I haven’t been able to find any information on his background, criminal or psychological, and I haven’t even heard yet what type of gun be used or when/where/how he obtained it.
And we will never know for certain. We can surmise, however, that they could have possibly prevented this which is obviously the point.

Reactions: MitchLL

I will wait, but I have a pretty good idea what we'll learn about his background.

And we will never know for certain. We can surmise, however, that they could have possibly prevented this which is obviously the point.
It seems pretty reasonable to blame Kim before we know any facts at all.

We don't know if he has a criminal background.
We don't know if he has a history of mental illness.
We don't know what type of gun he used.
We don't know when he bought the gun.
We don't know where he bought the gun.
We don't even know if he bought the gun.

But, goddammit, Kim should have stopped this Nebraska resident.

It seems pretty reasonable to blame Kim before we know any facts at all.

We don't know if he has a criminal background.
We don't know if he has a history of mental illness.
We don't know what type of gun he used.
We don't know when he bought the gun.
We don't know where he bought the gun.
We don't even know if he bought the gun.

But, goddammit, Kim should have stopped this Nebraska resident.
I didn't blame anyone. You asked what laws would have stopped this and were presented an answer. Very defensive.

I didn't blame anyone. You asked what laws would have stopped this and were presented an answer. Very defensive.
Mitch and Lucas certainly hold her responsible and I don't exactly see you disagreeing with them.

Even though we don't know much about the shooter and almost nothing about the weapon, you "surmised" that red flag laws could have stopped him.

Mitch and Lucas certainly hold her responsible and I don't exactly see you disagreeing with them.

Even though we don't know much about the shooter and almost nothing about the weapon, you "surmised" that red flag laws could have stopped him.
You don't see me agreeing with them either but that didn't stop you from jumping to conclusions.

Are you suggesting that there is no way a red flag law could have prevented this? If so, that's simply foolish. If not, WTF?

Turns out they were from Cedar Falls. The CF mayor posted on Twitter that she was evidently a public employee (librarian). Surprised nobody knows them on here.

I didn’t know them, but my sister in law worked with her at the CF library.

You don't see me agreeing with them either but that didn't stop you from jumping to conclusions.

Are you suggesting that there is no way a red flag law could have prevented this? If so, that's simply foolish. If not, WTF?
I'm saying we don't have enough information yet to know whether red flag laws could have stopped it. You have already "surmised", without any information, that they could have.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

I blame Kimmie because she offers weak platitudes after spending her career in the legislature, as Lt. Governor of Iowa, and as Governor of Iowa weakening gun laws. Her career has been marked by a mad dash to allow more people to have guns, with less oversight, and to carry them around in any place that they want to. I blame Kimmie because EVERY SINGLE DAY people are killed by guns in this country and to her it's just a nuisance.
A family was slaughtered camping and it doesn't bother her enough to even think about changing her priorities. Oh, she'll jet off to the US / Mexican border, or hunt down TG kids, but she won't do stuff that makes people safe.

I'm saying we don't have enough information yet to know whether red flag laws could have stopped it. You have already "surmised", without any information, that they could have.
Again, are you suggesting there is no way red flag laws could have prevented this? It's the only way your argument makes any sense and it is foolishly wrong. If you are agreeing that they possibly could have helped then, again, WTF?

All I've "surmised" is that simple logic says they might have help prevent this. I've acknowledged that we will never know for sure. Seems like you're arguing just to argue at this point.

But it’s a fact red flag laws would prevent some shootings so what are we waiting for? And just maybe, once we get more information, it might have prevented this one too.

I blame Kimmie because she offers weak platitudes after spending her career in the legislature, as Lt. Governor of Iowa, and as Governor of Iowa weakening gun laws. Her career has been marked by a mad dash to allow more people to have guns, with less oversight, and to carry them around in any place that they want to. I blame Kimmie because EVERY SINGLE DAY people are killed by guns in this country and to her it's just a nuisance.
A family was slaughtered camping and it doesn't bother her enough to even think about changing her priorities. Oh, she'll jet off to the US / Mexican border, or hunt down TG kids, but she won't do stuff that makes people safe.

Gross

To be fair, she and the Iowa legislature have done everything in their power to make guns more ubiquitous in Iowa, which likely isn’t helping the situation.

To be fair, she and the Iowa legislature have done everything in their power to make guns more ubiquitous in Iowa, which likely isn’t helping the situation.
I agree that it's not helping, but it's too early to know whether any law could have stopped this tragedy.

Seems like you're arguing just to argue at this point.
Sure, Jan.

Lucas and Mitch both criticized Kim, saying she should have enacted red flag laws prior to this incident. I pointed out that we know very little about the shooter except that he's apparently from Nebraska and we know even less about the weapon he used. We have no way of knowing yet whether red flag laws, or indeed any laws, could have prevented this tragedy. This was a perfectly valid and reasonable response on my part.

Now along comes Riley. I wonder which tack he will choose. Will he agree with TJ that it's too early to start criticizing Reynolds?

F*ck, no! Not in a million years would he do something crazy like that.

No, Riley chose instead to side with Mitch and Lucas. He chose to take issue with TJ's post. On the second day and the fourth page of a thread in which Riley had absolutely no previous involvement other than to "like" one of Mitch's posts, Riley decided just 10 minutes after TJ's post that he had to dispute a perfectly valid point.

So you tell me which one of us is "arguing just to argue".

Question about gun laws- is the main reason that law makers don’t do anything about it like Kim is because the NRA and other specials interest give so much money to their campaigns? That’s what I have always thought but was curious of other contributing factors.

I know it would cost you re-election as well if you are on the Right.

So is it fair to say they won’t do anything because of the money being put in their pockets?

Reactions: win4jj
I avoided this thread because I knew how it would go.

Sarah and Tyler were friends of a Friend, I had met their family a few times over the past couple years.

Great Family, and a 9 year old boy who lost his world.

You all are f*cking assholes and should be God Damn ashamed of yourselves.

Sarah and Tyler were friends of a Friend, I had met their family a few times over the past couple years.

You're correct, but it still is a reminder of a core problem in this country.

You just used the lords name in vain. You should be ashamed of yourself bitch

I'm sorry for what you and everyone that knew them are going through. You're 100% right, we are @ssholes. You were also wise in avoiding this thread, I'd continue to avoid it if I were in your shoes.

Peace to you and yours, brother.

Reactions: TylerJ76
Tragedies like this are excruciatingly painful and absolutely avoidable with reasonable gun policies. Like every other developed country has.

Gun buyback programs. Most guns should be illegal. And to buy one - very strict background checks and more fees to pay for more regulations and enforcement.

Do we want our kids to go to school or parades or church or mosque or synagogue or friggin camping at a state park and feel safe, or do we just continue to devolve into a fascist banana republic and civil war?

Then debate it in one of the other hundreds of threads on this problem.

We can’t even talk about the news story before it turns into a political pissing match.
It shouldn’t be about politics. This should be about protecting the public and taking care of those with mental health issues and beyond. It’s amazing to me that everyone isn’t onboard with making improvements to make instances like this happen less often.

Reactions: lucas80 and bdg8
Sure, Jan.

Lucas and Mitch both criticized Kim, saying she should have enacted red flag laws prior to this incident. I pointed out that we know very little about the shooter except that he's apparently from Nebraska and we know even less about the weapon he used. We have no way of knowing yet whether red flag laws, or indeed any laws, could have prevented this tragedy. This was a perfectly valid and reasonable response on my part.

Now along comes Riley. I wonder which tack he will choose. Will he agree with TJ that it's too early to start criticizing Reynolds?

F*ck, no! Not in a million years would he do something crazy like that.

No, Riley chose instead to side with Mitch and Lucas. He chose to take issue with TJ's post. On the second day and the fourth page of a thread in which Riley had absolutely no previous involvement other than to "like" one of Mitch's posts, Riley decided just 10 minutes after TJ's post that he had to dispute a perfectly valid point.

So you tell me which one of us is "arguing just to argue".
You are off the deep end yet again. NOTHING in my post suggested red flag laws would definitively have avoided this tragedy. I did point out that they certainly COULD HAVE helped prevent this. For some reason you chose to be defensive about this (I think I know the reason BTW). I did not say one way or the other whether it was too early to criticize Reynolds - you're making that up. I did not side with Mitch and Lucas - you're making that up as well.

You're very insecure.

The reason this thread has turned political, like most shooting threads have, is because we keep having the mass shooting events.

Until politicians truly become sincere about stopping them, we'll never make progress.

Reactions: dekhawk
You are off the deep end yet again. NOTHING in my post suggested red flag laws would definitively have avoided this tragedy. I did point out that they certainly COULD HAVE helped prevent this. For some reason you chose to be defensive about this (I think I know the reason BTW). I did not say one way or the other whether it was too early to criticize Reynolds - you're making that up. I did not side with Mitch and Lucas - you're making that up as well.

You're very insecure.
Not insecure at all. I think it’s hilarious that your first foray into the thread was on day two, page four, post #123. Exactly ten minutes after I made a perfectly valid point, you decided you needed to take exception to my post. And then you accuse me of “arguing just to argue”.

And you still haven’t expressed even the slightest hint of disagreement with either Mitch or Lucas.

Not insecure at all. I think it’s hilarious that your first foray into the thread was on day two, page four, post #123. Exactly ten minutes after I made a perfectly valid point, you decided you needed to take exception to my post. And then you accuse me of “arguing just to argue”.

And you still haven’t expressed even the slightest hint of disagreement with either Mitch or Lucas.
Never change, TJ.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I am surprised that so little has come out about the killer. The few comments from his mother are fishy to say the least. All kinds of stuff is weird about this. Honestly, who travels that far to camp in Iowa? Why did they bring a gun? She didn't notice her son get up, get dressed, and head off at 6 am? Or, was he out all night in the campground? My kids travel with us, but it just seems odd that the kid was with them. Mom has attempted to create the possibility that her son was innocent, and there was some other person involved in the killings.
We haven't heard about a criminal record, but I heard a rumor he had some kind of an insurance fraud thing a few years ago. Nothing about a mental health issue? Did he have a drug problem? That might explain why mom is being so tight lipped, and maybe explains why he was with them to begin with.

What is your point? That the only time to enter a discussion is on page one? GTFO. You asked a question and I responded - and I did not take exception. You're making that up too. I merely said we will never know if red flag laws would have prevented this but we can surmise that they might have.

Your defensiveness made you respond as though a direct attack was levied upon you. And your subsequent posts magnify your insecurity. TJ being TJ.

What is your point? That the only time to enter a discussion is on page one? GTFO. You asked a question and I responded - and I did not take exception. You're making that up too. I merely said we will never know if red flag laws would have prevented this but we can surmise that they might have.

Your defensiveness made you respond as though a direct attack was levied upon you. And your subsequent posts magnify your insecurity. TJ being TJ.
God damn Kim Reynolds for not passing red flag laws that would have stopped this Nebraska resident from building a homemade gun.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT