ADVERTISEMENT

Marco Lainez has same QB Coach as Nate & Spencer (Tony Racioppi). Was asked who he models his game after. His answer? “The great Brad Banks.”

How KF has gone away from that kind of qb is puzzling at best and just plain stupid.
They have not "Gone away" from recruiting those types of QB's. Your comment makes it sound as if there are QB's just like Brad Banks every cycle and there are more than a select few. Do you have any idea how many teams are looking for those types of players? What we know now about Brad Banks was he developed over a couple of years into the player he was. The players that are like him out of high school go to a very few schools and people like Ohio State are fortunate to at times have 2-3 at the same time. Then you have the rest of the field who might have a player like him once in a decade. Those once in a decade guys can happen at Boston College or even Northern Illinois. Those Brad Banks types are hard to identify in recruiting when they are the players who don't have it until their junior maybe senior year.

How KF has gone away from that kind of qb is puzzling at best and just plain stupid.
Honestly, that EXACT thought occurred to me today as I was driving and thinking of nothing in particular. Then I started thinking about Iowa QBs, and boom! You could not be more accurate.

Maybe it's a little like a guy who buys a Tesla, loves the electric car, drives it a year, and then trades it for a Ford Pinto that he drives for the next 20 years. Puzzling at best, and just plain stupid.

I called Lainez a dual threat in another thread and was corrected saying he wasn't. His rushing yardage and the amount of carries he had in New Jersey lead me to believe he can run enough to be a threat running the ball. I also think he has the size to take some hits running the ball. As with any recruit I will wait and see how he develops, but it gives me optimism that the Iowa staff is working hard to get the right players.

This video was created in the Fall of 2002 to promote Brad Banks for the Heisman Trophy. Brad finished 2nd to USC's Carson Palmer in one of the narrowest Heisman voting margins ever.

In 2002, Iowa had the highest scoring offense in the B1G.

Watch:

Great memories and highlights! I had to turn the song off.. lol. Brad Banks 💯 did not pick that one.

• Haha
Reactions: KeoKuKcraker
All I could think about hearing that song is...damn I'm old.
I was 22 that year & remember sitting in a sports bar with my buddies in Grand Rapids, Michigan and predicting Iowa to win the Big 10 that year.. of course they all blew it off and said, Iowa won’t even beat michigan let alone the Big 10! HA! They didn’t know about Mr. Banks. Iowa stomped michigan that year in the big house almost as bad as we got stomped this year.

They have not "Gone away" from recruiting those types of QB's. Your comment makes it sound as if there are QB's just like Brad Banks every cycle and there are more than a select few. Do you have any idea how many teams are looking for those types of players? What we know now about Brad Banks was he developed over a couple of years into the player he was. The players that are like him out of high school go to a very few schools and people like Ohio State are fortunate to at times have 2-3 at the same time. Then you have the rest of the field who might have a player like him once in a decade. Those once in a decade guys can happen at Boston College or even Northern Illinois. Those Brad Banks types are hard to identify in recruiting when they are the players who don't have it until their junior maybe senior year.
I was just thinking this same thing the other day. It's basically like saying why did Virginia Tech go away from recruiting Michael Vick types?

All I could think about hearing that song is...damn I'm old.
So true. I was thinking about what video editing software this thing was painstakingly cranked out on. Premier, Final Cut Pro or Avid? Seems like a million years ago but wasn't. Really cool this kid knows who Brad Banks even is. Says a lot about him actually.
[url=https://imgur.com/reTHaEQ][/URL]

While they certainly allowed themselves to get away from that kind of QB, I don't think it has always been by design. Eventually, I think Iowa got stereotyped in recruiting circles and that made it nearly impossible for them to convince these mobile, athletic QBs like Banks to come to plodding ole Iowa when they could go somewhere else and put up flashier numbers (and possibly win more).

Of course, the best argument you can make against that is the fact that Iowa recruited guys like Trey Lance and Zach Wilson and ultimately allowed things to shut down once they got Spencer Petras.................

• Haha
Reactions: KeoKuKcraker
Banks played one year of qb in juco. Wide receiver his first year in juco. My guess is if Iowa signed someone like him today we would get the ‘he wasn’t even a full time qb in juco’. Yet the qb coach back then got him to heisman runner up

While they certainly allowed themselves to get away from that kind of QB, I don't think it has always been by design. Eventually, I think Iowa got stereotyped in recruiting circles and that made it nearly impossible for them to convince these mobile, athletic QBs like Banks to come to plodding ole Iowa when they could go somewhere else and put up flashier numbers (and possibly win more).

Of course, the best argument you can make against that is the fact that Iowa recruited guys like Trey Lance and Zach Wilson and ultimately allowed things to shut down once they got Spencer Petras.................
It's not so much who we didn't get as it is who we got. Not many Banks out there, but hundreds who still aren't statues.

Having my first set of season tickets from 2002-2004, was an amazing treat. Especially after starting school at Iowa in 98. Woof those were some lean years, made the highs to come that much better.

Here are his Junior Season Highlights (9-0 record):

81% completion percentage

1,735 Yds Passing

21 TDs
2 INTs

512 Yds Rushing
12 Yds/Carry
3 TDS

Watch here:

Marco is probably turning cartwheels today after learning he'll be tutored by that long-time QB guru Brian Ferentz. LOL

It's not to late to bolt, Marco. Just sayin'.

• Angry
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Brad Banks. Runner Heisman, went to the Orange bowl. Rushed for a positive 435 yards that year in 2002. Why is that significant? That 435 is more yards than the last 16 years of starting QBs combined! Yes some years the QBs have negative yards because of sacks but it shows how important it is to have a mobile QB.

KF has his most successful QB ever as a mobile QB and what does he do? Never has another one again. Listening to Ricky Stanzi on a pod cast he said that in HS he had more rushing yards than throwing yards. When he got to Iowa he was actively discouraged from ever running the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Another cool pic from this weekend.

The Hun School teammates: 4 star QB commit Marco Lainez and OL Logan Howland, who added an offer from Iowa this weekend

FPcF-x7WYAQmP9F

"The atmosphere was awesome," said Lainez. "I loved the competition between the offense and the defense. It really made me miss football."

Traveling to Iowa with Lainez was high school teammate Logan Howland, a 6-foot-7, 280-pound offensive lineman who left campus with a new scholarship offer from the Hawkeyes.

"Logan loved it," Lainez said. "It was a really good experience and he then got an offer. It was awesome. I’m starting to recruit him even more now."

"I'm still 100%," said Lainez. "Brian Ferentz is extremely smart with the offense and the team is amazing. The culture is very developmental and family oriented."

As a junior, Lainez finished 95/117 passing (81.2%) for 1,735 yards with 21 touchdowns through the air and added 512 yards rushing and three touchdowns on the ground in leading The Hun School to a 9-0 record in 2021.

THE FULL STORY IS HERE:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT