ADVERTISEMENT

Marco Lainez has same QB Coach as Nate & Spencer (Tony Racioppi). Was asked who he models his game after. His answer? “The great Brad Banks.”

How KF has gone away from that kind of qb is puzzling at best and just plain stupid.
While I agree with the idea we should get more athletic at this position "that kind of QB's" rarely get past the blue bloods. It's not as easy as go and get another Brad Banks

I think this is the best QB Iowa has recruited in a while . just My opinion . He is really really good. that corner depth throw over Defenders is not an easy throw and He mehs those throws . Balanced, polished and moves pretty good. Super get for the Staff I think.

Not to be too negative, but I am not sure he will be as great as we expect - at least right away. I researched his school and it has 550 kids in high school. It only plays 9 games a year and most are other private 'prep' schools. It is pretty elite, I think in that they only accept 35% of kids, and being in Princeton, I assume they are all very bright.
But playing against these smaller schools may leave him a bit behind other guys as far as competition and experience against top athletes. Also, looking at his stats - he completed 9.5 passes per game!!!! And threw around 12 times a game.
I hope he learns the system (probably should be no problem from his school background) and comes on strong.
p.s. before looking at his school, I had high hopes like everyone else. Still do, but a little more tempered.

Reactions: Ree4
Not to be too negative, but I am not sure he will be as great as we expect - at least right away. I researched his school and it has 550 kids in high school. It only plays 9 games a year and most are other private 'prep' schools. It is pretty elite, I think in that they only accept 35% of kids, and being in Princeton, I assume they are all very bright.
But playing against these smaller schools may leave him a bit behind other guys as far as competition and experience against top athletes. Also, looking at his stats - he completed 9.5 passes per game!!!! And threw around 12 times a game.
I hope he learns the system (probably should be no problem from his school background) and comes on strong.
p.s. before looking at his school, I had high hopes like everyone else. Still do, but a little more tempered.
That away... He's a quarterback... Therefore he sucks... Never too soon to rip on a quarterback

I mean describe "pass very well" because I certainly don't see a top of dual threats who are thriving in pro offenses.
Bull! NFL days of statue's in the pocket are over and have been for a few years. Even Rogers was a dual threat most of his career. Best college QBs are dual threats and have been for years....so it naturally follows that NFL will become that.

Banks was probably Ferentz's best QB...yet he seems to have it in his head...well no one can explain his actions lately.

Bull! NFL days of statue's in the pocket are over and have been for a few years. Even Rogers was a dual threat most of his career. Best college QBs are dual threats and have been for years....so it naturally follows that NFL will become that.

Banks was probably Ferentz's best QB...yet he seems to have it in his head...well no one can explain his actions lately.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to Pro-style offenses which is a specific type offense and what Iowa runs. BTW there are plenty of NFL QBs who arent "dual threats" Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and many more. If you considered Aaron Rodgers to be dual threat me and you have very different ideas of the term dual threat

Last edited:
If Lainez can establish Iowa as the #1 scoring offense in the B1G he would be a miracle. Combine that offense with Phil Parker's defense and we could be in the running for playoffs.

That away... He's a quarterback... Therefore he sucks... Never too soon to rip on a quarterback
I am not ripping on him. It just seems people here think he will lead us to the championship game when he really hasn't played a ton of football - especially against quality teams. I would be thrilled with even a 60% completion rate and run for only 200 yards in a year. We can hope , I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
I am not ripping on him. It just seems people here think he will lead us to the championship game when he really hasn't played a ton of football - especially against quality teams. I would be thrilled with even a 60% completion rate and run for only 200 yards in a year. We can hope , I guess.
no yea... I get it... its just really popular right now to rip every quarterback.
just for the record let me say... I don't want a quarterback that runs with the ball.
if he's running with the ball... then he's not throwing the ball..
and I personally want my quarterback to hand off or throw the ball..
never ever run...
thats why you got 5 skill position guys on offense... let them run with the ball.

if I want to see a quarterback run with the ball... I'll play some nintendo.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
no yea... I get it... its just really popular right now to rip every quarterback.
just for the record let me say... I don't want a quarterback that runs with the ball.
if he's running with the ball... then he's not throwing the ball..
and I personally want my quarterback to hand off or throw the ball..
never ever run...
thats why you got 5 skill position guys on offense... let them run with the ball.

if I want to see a quarterback run with the ball... I'll play some nintendo.
Never run? Not even to avoid pressure, to scramble away from a defender and slide or run out of bounds for a run of 5, 5, 6 yards as opposed to having to throw it away or get sacked?

I also don't really want a running QB. Maybe once or twice a game (other than sneaks). However, as shizzle said - you need to avoid the pass rush a little bit.

He’s looking very good in the highlights, but as another Twitter user asked, why is he posting this season’s highlights when he’s already committed? 🤔

Jenson was a fullback for most of his Iowa career.......
Except he was TE2 in 2002, TE1 in 2003, and drafted into the NFL as a TE. Plus he never had a single carry in his career. He was a ball catcher for us, just not a prolific one. But he was drafted and spent years hanging around the NFL on practice squads unlike many of our other pass catchers.

Except he was TE2 in 2002, TE1 in 2003, and drafted into the NFL as a TE. Plus he never had a single carry in his career. He was a ball catcher for us, just not a prolific one. But he was drafted and spent years hanging around the NFL on practice squads unlike many of our other pass catchers.

I'm fully aware that Jensen played TE at the end of his career and was in the league for a short time. I just thought it was a stretch to include him in a conversation as part of a "stacked receiving group". As Iowa TE's go he had little impact. I doubt he caught as many balls in is career as Laporta will catch this season, and thats even with all the balls Sam drops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT