ADVERTISEMENT

Marinelli joins HWC

Patrick Kennedy is thinking "Oh, crap, I thought I was done sparring with the brick wall that is Alex Marinelli..."
:)

Reactions: Mendoza77
There is a loud narrative that Iowa can’t compete with “PSU’s” (i.e., NLWC’s) funding, which is why PSU is able to keep stockpiling top-end talent (i.e., strength of the NLWC is a major selling point to prospective PSU recruits). To the extent there is truth in that, Iowa Hawkeye fans complaining about the financial disparity should be pissed if (I repeat, if) HWC is spending on athletes that are not committed to competing for the club and, incidentally, contributing to a sales pitch for top-end prospects.

TLDR version — you want your RTC to maximize efficient use of funds to help sell the image of a renowned product. You want its paid athletes competing (successfully) on the world stage.

There is a loud narrative that Iowa can’t compete with “PSU’s” (i.e., NLWC’s) funding, which is why PSU is able to keep stockpiling top-end talent (i.e., strength of the NLWC is a major selling point to prospective PSU recruits). To the extent there is truth in that, Iowa Hawkeye fans complaining about the financial disparity should be pissed if (I repeat, if) HWC is spending on athletes that are not committed to competing for the club and, incidentally, contributing to a sales pitch for top-end prospects.

TLDR version — you want your RTC to maximize efficient use of funds to help sell the image of a renowned product. You want its paid athletes competing (successfully) on the world stage.
Hate to agree with this but it’s true. Penn state runs their entire program like Amazon or google. Always taking the best and replacing the best with the better, shinier penny. They, despite being loaded, cannot do this without being frugal. Someone like Alex would get the axe. The hwc isn’t in a position to turn marinelli down considering what’s in the cupboard but if we had what NLWC has, it would be an easy decision. He would probably not be getting paid. On a side note, sounds like marinelli is taking the position and time to see if he actually wants to compete. Personally, I hope he does for a lot of reasons.

I would hope he’s not drawing on club funds if that’s the deal.
What is wrong with him drawing club funds?
He will either be competing for the HWC or coaching for the HWC.
Jake Varner & Eric Thompson are both coaches for the NLWC and I would assume draw from club funds.
So, Alex has to decide if he wants to continue to compete or coach. Either way he will be an asset to the HWC and the Hawkeye wrestling program. I hope he is paid for whichever path he chooses.

Jake Varner & Eric Thompson are both coaches for the NLWC and I would assume draw from club funds.
So, Alex has to decide if he wants to continue to compete or coach. Either way he will be an asset to the HWC and the Hawkeye wrestling program. I hope he is paid for whichever path he chooses.

we don’t have their funds…

Reactions: pumpdog20

So you're advocating the HWC not employ coaches. Even though the NLWC employs coaches.

Is this some sort of AFD gag?

Eric is at ASU now.

So you're advocating the HWC not employ coaches. Even though the NLWC employs coaches.

The HWC already has coaches/advisors on payroll. Is this some AFD gag pretending not to know that?

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
I know the Bull hasn’t competed a ton in freestyle, but his style seems to translate well. He’s very efficient on his feet, keeps great position and doesn’t get himself into too many scramble situations. He’s also pretty elite at controlling the mat and taking ground.

Reactions: moug and armbartilt

Did not say that. If HWC needs more coaches on the payroll, so be it. Personally, I think the financial priority should be to bring in some athletes that are going to make World and Olympic Teams (unless you want Spencer to shoulder that load himself).

The virtual absence of HWC representation the past year did not do the program any favors. Paying more former Hawkeyes to add to the coaching staff seems like an odd priority.

I know websites aren’t always up to date, but a glance at the HWC “Team” and “Roster” sure made me wonder why adding Marinelli as a paid coach would be the best use of precious funds.

What if somehow, in some strange way, a guy like that brings value to your program and the coaches figured out a way to keep him around for a bit. I get that it's a stretch.

My error
How about Jake Varner and Mark McKnight. Both coaches with the nlwc and I'm sure both draw funds from the club.
Still the same situation...
Please don’t compare Marinelli to Varner in an analysis of how to best spend wrestling club money. 🙄

Did not say that. If HWC needs more coaches on the payroll, so be it. Personally, I think the financial priority should be to bring in some athletes that are going to make World and Olympic Teams (unless you want Spencer to shoulder that load himself).

The virtual absence of HWC representation the past year did not do the program any favors. Paying more former Hawkeyes to add to the coaching staff seems like an odd priority.

I know websites aren’t always up to date, but a glance at the HWC “Team” and “Roster” sure made me wonder why adding Marinelli as a paid coach would be the best use of precious funds.
Unless you donate to the HWC ---STFU. No one cares about your opinion.

Which athlete do you propose the HWC hire to join their club? Which world team caliber wrestler is available as a free agent and is affordable by the HWC?

Not disagreeing with your premise, but I'm not sure that the HWC has many options unless they get a huge boost in funding. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Trapper85
I realize there is nothing to talk about related to Hawkeye wrestling right not so we are talking about this but it seems like basically a non news item. We don't really have any idea what Alex is getting paid or what his future plans are. I mean the last two additions to the team were Paul Glynn and Moody so I'm not upset if they add Alex.

Wow first the PSU losers come on here to brag about winning, and now they want to give us tips on how to best spend our HWC money?

HWC is known for giving its warriors a stipend for at least a year or two to help guys get on their feet and find an opportunity for themselves, be it coaching or otherwise.

Marinelli has been the team leader for years and is wise beyond his age. I'll be very happy to have him mentoring our guys for as long as he feels like. Gun to my head, I'm probably taking Kem and Spencer as long term coaching options, otherwise I'd prefer Bull be on staff forever.

Great to hear. Glad that the two of them will continue in the fold.
All I can say is that if he is going to be sticking around, we need more pics of his wife. No more pics like the one in the original post.

Last edited:
Which athlete do you propose the HWC hire to join their club? Which world team caliber wrestler is available as a free agent and is affordable by the HWC?

Not disagreeing with your premise, but I'm not sure that the HWC has many options unless they get a huge boost in funding. I could be wrong though.

I sure hope so. We were told by Tom that the HWC was waiting to spend funds on this class in particular.

I really hope Bull makes a run and being a full-time competitor. Eierman and Kem need to heal up and I hope Kem competes (pretty sure Eierman will). I'd love to see Young at a more natural weight and wrestle FS as well. Obviously Spencer has another year now before he'll enter HWC. And Desanto has stated he intends to wrestle for the HWC.

Please don’t compare Marinelli to Varner in an analysis of how to best spend wrestling club money. 🙄
Trying to have a chat on Alex joining the HWC as either a coach or athlete and you have to come here and have to be all high and mighty. Seriously wtf?? What the hell do you care what his status is with the HWC and if he gets a paycheck or not?? I'm very happy Alex is sticking around and contributing to the program. I see it as nothing but a positive, whether he is a coach or athlete.

Trying to have a chat on Alex joining the HWC as either a coach or athlete and you have to come here and have to be all high and mighty. Seriously wtf?? What the hell do you care what his status is with the HWC and if he gets a paycheck or not?? I'm very happy Alex is sticking around and contributing to the program. I see it as nothing but a positive, whether he is a coach or athlete.
Hey, by all means, spend $$ on guys who might “possibly” compete when there is a professed shortfall in funding to keep up with the likes of Cael and NLWC. If I were one of the people complaining about such a shortfall, then I’d be bothered if someone was being paid to stay on without a commitment to competing. That’s all.

Hey, by all means, spend $$ on guys who might “possibly” compete when there is a professed shortfall in funding to keep up with the likes of Cael and NLWC. If I were one of the people complaining about such a shortfall, then I’d be bothered if someone was being paid to stay on without a commitment to competing. That’s all.
Listen pinhead, why don’t you head back to BWI before things get ugly?

• Haha
I’ve donated a couple (maybe several) times. Small $$ on lost bets and such. Doesn’t have any bearing on whether I can post an opinion here, though.

If you STFU a little more often, this place would benefit. Another opinion. Oopsie.
Man, you're a stupid son of a bitch.
It's Friday, I was in a great mood.
Excited to see Alex has decided to stay in IC and continue being part of the program.
But, here you are blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
The funny thing is I can about guarantee, if it had come out that Alex was going to a different program or no longer being active with the Hawkeye program you would have ran you mouth with a bunch of negatives towards the HWC and Iowa Wrestling, not being able to keep guys from the team around or some bull crap like that.
Your team might have brought the trophy home from Nationals but we are in your head so bad it's not even funny. I almost feel bad for you, almost.

I’m not going to pretend to have followed freestyle and HWC financials closely enough to make an educated suggestion on specific guys to pursue. But I would look at non-Hawks as a way to diversify, and I’d consider consolidating as necessary to have at least 2 big fish competing hard. Once you get a couple guys in the world spotlight, the ball could be set in motion to bring in more funds, and then you expand. Maybe, maybe not. But I’d hesitate to spread funds among too many people who aren’t going to represent on the world stage.

ADVERTISEMENT