ADVERTISEMENT

Marion Barber 🪦

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

Former Cowboys and Bears RB Marion Barber was found dead in Frisco, Tex. on Wednesday.​

He was found deceased in his apartment by Frisco police. The cause of Barber's death is currently unknown. The former No. 109 overall pick of the 2005 draft by the Cowboys out of Minnesota, Barber spent his first six seasons with Dallas and made the Pro Bowl in 2007. He spent his final season with the Bears in 2011 and then retired. Barber was set to turn 39 years old in nine days. He'd battled some mental-health issues post-retirement.

Man. That is so sad. He was only a year older than I am. The thought crossed my mind when I heard earlier wondering if he had struggled with CTE post-Football career because of his punishing running style and not trying to avoid collisions on the field.

Can’t find the game highlights but plenty on this yearly highlight. What a game! And a typical Iowa win.

Reactions: rivalhawks
I dont think he was a twin, but there was another really good running back who's Gopher career overlapped. I can't remember his name but Barber and he were a very good one two punch for a year or two.

Yeah he did in 2004. Forgot he played for the Gophers

I was there with about a dozen friends and my gf. My last classes were that Fall, so I tried to go to every home and away game I could. We were so sure we were going to lose until that Greenway TFL out if nowhere. The Gophers were driving and it seemed the only time Barber didn’t go for four yards or more the other direction was on that last play. He was incredible that game. RIP.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I really enjoyed watching him play for Dallas, he was a god damn wrecking ball. No doubt CTE is behind this. It’s a shame and I don’t know how you help any realistically.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I watched Barber vs Joe Mauer in HS. They were about as good as two HS football players I’ve ever seen, Mauer especially.

ADVERTISEMENT