ADVERTISEMENT

Marjorie Taylor Greene's new 'endorsement of violence' could land her in front of a grand jury: CNN analysts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In a video released over the weekend, a smirking Taylor Greene can be seen telling a laughing crowd, " Then Jan. 6 happened. And next thing you know, I organized the whole thing, along with Steve Bannon here. And I will tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, it would’ve been armed."

“See that’s the whole joke, isn’t it. They say that whole thing was planned and I’m like, are you kidding me? A bunch of conservatives, second amendment supporters, went in the Capitol without guns, and they think that we organized that?” she then added.

According to CNN's John Avlon, her comments should send up red flags for investigators looking into the lead-up and aftermath of the Capitol riot that forced lawmakers to flee for their lives.

"What this congresswoman is saying is they were insufficiently armed, she was playing to the crowd but what she is saying is without accountability, failed insurrections are just practice," he told the "CNN This Morning" hosts.

He then added, "They would have succeeded and would have come armed -- that's a statement with real weight if you're a member of Congress. That's an endorsement of violence."

According to CNN analyst Errol Louis, the Georgia Republican may have opened herself up to be subpoenaed.

"It would have been illegal to bring weapons into the district, as she no doubt knows," e told the panel. "It's the kind of thing where, in the name of being cute in front of the donors or whatever group she's addressing, she could talk herself into a grand jury."

"This is not stuff to take lightly," he continued. "This is a country on the edge in a lot of ways and if she really means this, she should repeat it under oath. I'd love to hear it."

The White House on Monday strongly condemned the claim from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) that she and former Trump aide Stephen K. Bannon would have executed a successful coup on Jan. 6 if they had organized the storming of the U.S. Capitol and they would have “been armed.”
The Post’s Eugene Scott reports that the divisive Republican pushed back on theories that she was a ringleader of the violent incident that left more than 100 law enforcement officers injured. Per Eugene:
Instead, she said, “I want to tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, we would’ve been armed,” Greene said Saturday at a dinner hosted by the New York Young Republican Club, according to the New York Post.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Andrew Bates said the comments were a “slap in the face” to the law enforcement officers who risked their lives to keep Greene and other lawmakers safe from the violent mob seeking to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election and stop Congress from counting the electoral votes for Joe Biden’s win over President Donald Trump.
You can read Eugene’s full story here.

Like Trump told Russia to hack Hillary's emails too. How is it that people post that crap

I can't believe a guy from CNN would opine something that would continue to drag out an ongoing investigation which helped them with some of their shitty ratings problems. While I'm all for getting rid of MTG any way possible, his assessment of real consequences for a hypothetical statement is stupid.

"Then Jan. 6 happened. And next thing you know, I organized the whole thing, along with Steve Bannon here. And I will tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, it would’ve been armed."
Conditional statements aren't actionable under the law, as far as I know. The exception would be where you have evidence that they actually had plans to follow through. The worst part of this is that MTG has actual power in the GOP caucus. I'd bet she secured some plum assignments in exchange for backing McCarthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT