ADVERTISEMENT

Beat writer for Register: "CJ was the eye-opener. "

Right now, CJ might be our best player. He can shoot, he can drive and he can actually defend.
That's a fair statement indeed. There's an article/interview on our HR home page with you, er, I mean Fran that I just read. Good article addressing some of the woes our club is going through. There were two things that Fran said that immediately grabbed my attention.

1) Moving Connor to the 3.
2) Getting Joe T more PT.

For now, that sounds pretty good to me.

that’s based on one game. Joe W is our best player. He had a bad game.
Granted, we have had only 3 games to witness.

From the orig post, Mark's observations were from the exhibition game (game #1).

Who was our best player in the DePaul game (game #3)? I think it was CJ. He made 3 point shots. He drove to the basket and made pull up jumpers. And he guarded.

To me the big three are Joey Luka CJ each has to play 30-36 minutes. Fredericks has the "it" factor. He has such a mature complete game. Passes check defends check makes 3 s check hits pull ups check and can drive and dish check. Watch the kid box out hes so sound and skilled. We all bash Fran for his recruiting over the years but this kid looks like a four year starter and with Star JW a great combo over the next few years. They both have the swag and CJ plays with such passion and intensity you can tell he loves the game.

Reactions: owenhawk
That's a fair statement indeed. There's an article/interview on our HR home page with you, er, I mean Fran that I just read. Good article addressing some of the woes our club is going through. There were two things that Fran said that immediately grabbed my attention.

1) Moving Connor to the 3.
2) Getting Joe T more PT.

For now, that sounds pretty good to me.
How about moving Connor to the door?

To me the big three are Joey Luka CJ each has to play 30-36 minutes. Fredericks has the "it" factor. He has such a mature complete game. Passes check defends check makes 3 s check hits pull ups check and can drive and dish check. Watch the kid box out hes so sound and skilled. We all bash Fran for his recruiting over the years but this kid looks like a four year starter and with Star JW a great combo over the next few years. They both have the swag and CJ plays with such passion and intensity you can tell he loves the game.
Fredericks?
WM3TBL.gif

It would be interesting if we tried a smaller lineup. I'm not sure it will work vs everyone but their are some combinations that could be productive. I do think Connor is tough enough to play some 3 and even 4 because he won't back down. If you have Joe T, CJ, Joe W, Connor, Garza. The biggest thing it does is help space the floor makes the double teams slower to Garza. Obviously you couldn't play this lineup all the time and I'm not sure how they would be defensively.

Agree with others that Connor can likely add more value at the 3 or 4. Iowa doesn't need two bigs on the floor against smaller / quicker teams. Connor's game, IMO, is more suited to playing off the ball. Good cutter / passer and crafty in the lane, just not going to get there by beating anybody off the bounce.

Evelyn and Touissant need to run the point or at least need to be given more PT to see what they can do. People are down on Evelyn, but the dude is playing out of position and gets limited PT. Kriener and Garza on the floor at the same creates congestion as both want to occupy the same space.

He is such a complete all around game. I know when Fran signed him we were all like oh know another Ellington. Then I saw him in a couple high school games and felt so good about his game. He competes and plays with such passion. He plays well when he scores or doesnt score. Such a great defender and passer. I read how bad Xavier wanted him and Crean at IU. Great get for us. How was crowd tonight couldnt make game family bday party for my daughter?

Consistency will determine who the real players are. CJ is the flavor of the night, Joe T the game before.

I finally heard Joe W has been fighting a bum elbow so I’d expect CJ will have more looks as Joe W returns to form.

The competition gets better and I think CJ’s game translates as he appears pretty fundamentally strong.

With J Bo and Patrick next year I think we will be back to a bubble team level. We may steal a game or two this year, but all Hawkeye BB fans are going to be in for a long year. I’ll look forward to seeing the progress of the kids that will be positive contributors next season. It’s not what we want to hear, but it’s reality.

CJ isn’t our player. But he is playing above freshman grade and has the potential to be a leader on this team. Which we need. With Bohannon gone, I think CJ has a chance to really make a mark as a 3 point shooter and defensive stopper.

Consistency will determine who the real players are. CJ is the flavor of the night, Joe T the game before.

I finally heard Joe W has been fighting a bum elbow so I’d expect CJ will have more looks as Joe W returns to form.

The competition gets better and I think CJ’s game translates as he appears pretty fundamentally strong.

With J Bo and Patrick next year I think we will be back to a bubble team level. We may steal a game or two this year, but all Hawkeye BB fans are going to be in for a long year. I’ll look forward to seeing the progress of the kids that will be positive contributors next season. It’s not what we want to hear, but it’s reality.
I didn't realize Weezy was playing with an injury. I was starting to think that the Monstars had stolen his talent

He is such a complete all around game. I know when Fran signed him we were all like oh know another Ellington. Then I saw him in a couple high school games and felt so good about his game. He competes and plays with such passion. He plays well when he scores or doesnt score. Such a great defender and passer. I read how bad Xavier wanted him and Crean at IU. Great get for us. How was crowd tonight couldnt make game family bday party for my daughter?

Not good, but about average for a Cal Poly type team. The student section was nearly empty with the students gone on Thanksgiving break.

Agree, got to give Fran credit here.

Allot of us, me included, were pretty skeptical of giving him that scholarship last year.

Was dead wrong on that. Now I'm confused why he didn't play last year.

It would be interesting if we tried a smaller lineup. I'm not sure it will work vs everyone but their are some combinations that could be productive. I do think Connor is tough enough to play some 3 and even 4 because he won't back down. If you have Joe T, CJ, Joe W, Connor, Garza. The biggest thing it does is help space the floor makes the double teams slower to Garza. Obviously you couldn't play this lineup all the time and I'm not sure how they would be defensively.

We've seen Joe W at the 4 a little bit this year.

I love the idea.

The other team has to guard him too.

I have been to every game (including the exhibition game) except for the DePaul game. It’s hard to argue that Frederick is not the best all-around player on the team at this point. I just love his game. He is a huge overall upgrade from Moss. Moss could have helped the team as a spot up shooter off the bench and would have been a better fit with him playing limited minutes and CJ taking the role as starting SG.

I’m not saying Frederick is flawless but it is hard to see any big hole in his game. He is so smart and lets the game come to him. He doesn’t hunt shots (though that might be something Iowa needs/asks from him in the future). Even when he’s not scoring, he’s contributing in so many other ways. His defense, passing, and decision-making is fantastic.

Honestly, he’s taking more of the role that I thought Wieskamp would. I love Joe’s game and I’m sure he will get it figured out buts he’s struggling. But CJ is really stepping up as the most complete player so far.

With Connor at the 3 gives us three guards and Weiskamp can handle the ball as well; make the other team play D while we run run run. Even Garza can hit the 3. We have our 8 man rotation and no pressure now. We will be starting 3 frosh (Connor RS) a soph in Weiskamp and the old man Garza. Pemsyl, Kriener and Bakari will pick up 7 to 8 minutes that Nunge was playing the last couple games. Good luck to Jack; really feel for him. We can't have any more injuries. Any chance of bringing in a JUCO at the semester?

I have been to every game (including the exhibition game) except for the DePaul game. It’s hard to argue that Frederick is not the best all-around player on the team at this point. I just love his game. He is a huge overall upgrade from Moss. Moss could have helped the team as a spot up shooter off the bench and would have been a better fit with him playing limited minutes and CJ taking the role as starting SG.

I’m not saying Frederick is flawless but it is hard to see any big hole in his game. He is so smart and lets the game come to him. He doesn’t hunt shots (though that might be something Iowa needs/asks from him in the future). Even when he’s not scoring, he’s contributing in so many other ways. His defense, passing, and decision-making is fantastic.

Honestly, he’s taking more of the role that I thought Wieskamp would. I love Joe’s game and I’m sure he will get it figured out buts he’s struggling. But CJ is really stepping up as the most complete player so far.
I agree, kid is so solid everywhere, very nice to see. I see no reason we couldn't run a lineup of Garza 6-11, Weiskamp 6-6, Connor 6-5, CJF 6-3, and Joe out there quite a bit. Still have decent size as Joe plays taller than 6-6. If the other teams 4 has to step out and guard Joe on the perimeter, the middle will be wide open for Garza.

Reactions: owenhawk
He's playing just fine, not sure the hate is justified at this point. Really fickle fans, if they are fans.

Yeah, I get it, he's never going to be a major scoring threat. But he does everything else well.

I mean, why would we want a guy that's averaging 6.4 ppg and has a 3.5:1 ast:to ratio?

With Connor at the 3 gives us three guards and Weiskamp can handle the ball as well; make the other team play D while we run run run. Even Garza can hit the 3. We have our 8 man rotation and no pressure now. We will be starting 3 frosh (Connor RS) a soph in Weiskamp and the old man Garza. Pemsyl, Kriener and Bakari will pick up 7 to 8 minutes that Nunge was playing the last couple games. Good luck to Jack; really feel for him. We can't have any more injuries. Any chance of bringing in a JUCO at the semester?

Connor is a RS soph and is older than Garza.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Hope we start getting CJF 28-32 minutes......we need 12-16 out of him moving forward.

Excellent question on the JUCO transfer at semester... No knowledge on that one, but it would be an interesting change if possible, now or in the future. Although, not too cool to the JC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT