ADVERTISEMENT

Beat writer for Register: "CJ was the eye-opener. "

Iowa (5-1) 72, #12 Texas Tech (5-1) 61

From ESPN.com:

Joe Wieskamp had 16 points and six rebounds for the Hawkeyes, and CJ Fredrick scored 10. His 3-pointer off a broken play as the shot clock expired put Iowa ahead 64-59 with 1:29 left. He followed that up with two free throws with 1:07 remaining to just about put it away.

"(Fredrick) has always had that clutch gene," McCaffery said. "I knew when he let that (3-pointer) go, it was going in. Then he comes around and hits two free throws."

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401169635

CJ led Iowa (5-2) in minutes played (32) and in scoring (16 pts) in Iowa's 83-73 loss to San Diego State tonight.

Points/Player/Minutes Played:
16 Fredrick (32 min)
15 McCaffery (28 min)
13 Toussaint (22 min)
09 Garza (26 min)
09 Kriener (16 min)
05 Wieskamp (26 min)
03 JBO (23 min)
03 Evelyn (17 min)

Last edited:
As good as Fran has hyped him for over a year not sure if I had not been lucky enough to watch him at his state tournament I would of believed it. The kid plays exactly how he did in high school except taking more than half the shots he did which is expected. Hes tough, loves to guard, loves to pass and can score. Kid has the it factor. When he committed with out a scholly I was picturing Ellingson or Josh Ogelsby. Not till I saw him play live did I believe what Fran was saying.

I really like his shot and his overall game.

Boy, if Weezy sticks around for at least another year and if JBo is back next year, too? Talk about 3 GREAT 3 point shooters.
Joe isn't gonna leave after this year, he's a very good college player, but I'd be surprised if he left early to play in the NBA.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I would be surprised if he makes an NBA roster. Just does not handle ball well enough or have enough creativity to his game.

Reactions: Garbaggio
I wish he would be a little more selfish

After watching yesterdays game live its clear they dont look for CJ. Kid takes great shots makes extra pass so unselfish. 3-5 from fg 8 points with 5 assists 4 rebounds 2 steals a block. Hes the most complete player on the team.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Sometimes, once there's tape on a guy he can struggle a bit more as freshman year goes on and Big Ten teams start to figure a guy out. Based on what we've seen so far this season, CJF has been an upgrade at the 2 over Moss.

Sometimes, once there's tape on a guy he can struggle a bit more as freshman year goes on and Big Ten teams start to figure a guy out. Based on what we've seen so far this season, CJF has been an upgrade at the 2 over Moss.
One thing I like about Fredrick is that he’s tough to game plan for. He doesn’t force stuff, and if he gets free for seven shots per game, he probably makes four or five and finishes in double digits. If teams commit multiple defenders to him, he’ll find the open guy. If they run him off the line, he’ll drive and get a look in the lane. If they sag off... lol

Uno makes a great point. Unlike Isaiah CJ is a versatile scorer who seems highly focused all the time. CJ appears to be a great shooter that can score without taking threes and not just a great shooter.

He's shown the ability to drive and score with both hands inside-not sure Isaiah ever went left. Post up in the lane. Can handle the ball and get his own shots.

He and Joe T are going to be a great backcourt before they're gone.

The sky's the limit for C.J., but starting Saturday in Philadelphia he is going to have to step it up in production, if Iowa is going to contend for the top half of the Big Ten.
He's too good of a player to keep deferring to others when he has open looks. He needs to take upwards of 10 shots a game to maximize his skill set.

Uno makes a great point. Unlike Isaiah CJ is a versatile scorer who seems highly focused all the time. CJ appears to be a great shooter that can score without taking threes and not just a great shooter.

He's shown the ability to drive and score with both hands inside-not sure Isaiah ever went left. Post up in the lane. Can handle the ball and get his own shots.

He and Joe T are going to be a great backcourt before they're gone.
I think Fran is gonna ask CJ and Joe to really step it up now that JBo is done for the season.

We have an inside assassin in Garza. Now we need a consistent outside assassin or two like we had last year in JBo. I feel strongly that Joe AND CJ can fulfill that role.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
CJ was 2-5 from 3 point land last night.

Iowa is now 10-2 this season in games where CJ Fredrick makes two or more three-point shots.

In addition, Iowa is 7-2 since Jordan Bohannon shut things down for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT