ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry: Game Changer

100% agree. I think Mark will help attract some new guys and infuse some new style to the room. The middle weights just got a huge bump.

That's true but from a bigger picture perspective it represents so much more. A dedicated HWC head coach (no longer someone's side job), a potentially fully funded HWC and new wrestling facility. Big changes are coming.

<That's true but from a bigger picture perspective it represents so much more. A dedicated HWC head coach (no longer someone's side job), a potentially fully funded HWC and new wrestling facility. Big changes are coming.>>

Lots of exciting stuff going on---- and HR report is a big part of getting this started. We have a LONG way to go-- and the key is the recurring monthly donations-- big or small. www.hwcdonor.com.

Remember-- If we want the best coaches/athletes in the HWC we need to convince many Hawkeye fans to help us with a donation. Thats what makes this work! Thank you!

Mark Perry will be at the banquet on Friday- he will talk to the crowd, mingle, answer questions etc.- -- The Brands have a way of getting you fired up when they speak--Mark Perry-- has a different perspective and I think Iowa fans will LOVE it.

Let me know when you
<That's true but from a bigger picture perspective it represents so much more. A dedicated HWC head coach (no longer someone's side job), a potentially fully funded HWC and new wrestling facility. Big changes are coming.>>

Lots of exciting stuff going on---- and HR report is a big part of getting this started. We have a LONG way to go-- and the key is the recurring monthly donations-- big or small. www.hwcdonor.com.

Remember-- If we want the best coaches/athletes in the HWC we need to convince many Hawkeye fans to help us with a donation. Thats what makes this work! Thank you!

Mark Perry will be at the banquet on Friday- he will talk to the crowd, mingle, answer questions etc.- -- The Brands have a way of getting you fired up when they speak--Mark Perry-- has a different perspective and I think Iowa fans will LOVE it.
Your replys, updates, and overall involvement have given us a voice, and I think it made people wake up and realize that the powers that be are listening. So, thank you!

btw, let me know when you want to update that old HWC video.
I'm sure Perry would be fire in his interview as well. It'd be my form of a donation as well. Go Hawks!

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=568835009

Yes, I'm going against my own pet peeve and starting a new thread. This is that big, and PSU fans crapped all over the old one. This is the start of something big and something ****. Welcome, Coach Perry!

(Bring IMar, Delgado and your brother while you're are at it!)

Spooner - Question for you. As HWC Head Coach, how much can Mark Perry "Interact" (if any) with the College team? Can he assist with any recruiting, training, practices, etc???

Spooner - Question for you. As HWC Head Coach, how much can Mark Perry "Interact" (if any) with the College team? Can he assist with any recruiting, training, practices, etc???
A list of things he can't do
1. Contacting prospects off-campus
2. Performing recruiting coordination functions, which includes:
-Activities involving athletics evaluation and/or selection of prospects
-Making or receiving telephone calls/text messages to/from prospects, their parent/legal guardian or coaches
-Preparing recruiting correspondence (e.g., writing note cards or letters)

-Making or receiving telephone calls/text messages to/from prospects, their parent/legal guardian or coaches
That leaves lots of opportunities to be involved behind the scenes in an unofficial capacity!

Marks benefit in the recruiting sector will be his mere presence in the program. Having a guy of his caliber, and his proven track record of improving middleweights will be his recruiting draw. Who wouldn't want to work out with Mark Perry, Ryan Morningstar, Marinelli, Kemerer, Young, Gunther, and potentially IMAR & any others who may come with or will come to Iowa in the future.

That leaves lots of opportunities to be involved behind the scenes in an unofficial capacity!
There are more restrictions than that, but that is a good starting point. I pretty much agree with what Lax says above. In addition, he can still do camps/clinics at places like Young Guns, which doesn't hurt.

But he can Twitter his ass off - right?

I love the hire, Perry brings in a different style than any other coaches currently in the room. We all know the IMar situation, but would this be a realistic opportunity for Mejia to come back to Iowa? I know he signed his NLI already, but with a coaching change, usually releases are given. What are the chances?

Great news! I've been wanting Mark Perry for basically every open coaching position in the country. He brings a ton to the program. I will be watching his Flo documentary tonight.

Well that kind of sucks...

Reactions: lionlover
This quote is incredibly telling:

"In the spring of 2010, Perry turned down an opportunity to return to Iowa as an assistant. He jumped to Illinois the next year.

“Would I have liked to have been around that (Iowa) environment? Absolutely, but the experiences since then have been extremely rewarding and great for my development as a coach and person,” Perry said. “I’ve hardened up a lot. I’ve learned to adapt and do my best to try to win with less and I’ve been fortunate enough to help young men achieve some amazing things in the process.”

The success fueled speculation that Perry was biding his time waiting for a high-level head coaching opportunity to come along.

“For a long time, that’s what I visualized for myself and my goals were geared around that as well,” he said. “As I’ve grown as a coach, I realized those goals were more about self-satisfaction versus the impact I really want to make for the sport of wrestling.”

My take on that is that his overall goals in the sport of wrestling has changed course since he left Iowa. It went from eventually landing a head coaching job, to making the biggest impact that he possibly can on the sport of wrestling, in the greatest wrestling state, and developing the best elite athletes that he can... for one of the most storied programs of all time. Doesn't seem like a 'downgrade' in position as some on BWI and elsewhere are spinning it. If it's not a downgrade in Mark Perry's eyes, then it's not. Beyond excited to see all the wheels turning right now, and we will be reaping the benefits as fans in the next 5-10 years, and beyond.

Your heads are going to explode when the Hawks start passing the leg and rolling around like crazy. Definitely an exciting hire and it is obvious that Iowa attracts people who love wrestling. I can't wait to see how quickly this impacts the team race and how it changes the landscape of wrestling.
A few guys got off there butts here on the HR report and look at all that has happened. WOW!!!

Your heads are going to explode when the Hawks start passing the leg and rolling around like crazy. Definitely an exciting hire and it is obvious that Iowa attracts people who love wrestling. I can't wait to see how quickly this impacts the team race and how it changes the landscape of wrestling.
A few guys got off there butts here on the HR report and look at all that has happened. WOW!!!

Have no problem with our guys improving their funk as long as the funk doesn't become their offense.

There is absolutely no passing the leg or rolling around at club practices! Something I'm 100% sure will remain true as long as Terry is around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT