Mark Stoops is a likely candidate for LSU

Camhawk2012

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2020
Sources are saying:
1. Jimbo F
2. Bill OBrien
3. Stoops

Jimbo ain’t leaving TAMU. I have mixed feelings about this. I think Barta needs to get ahead of this. Ferentz wont be here forever. We need an Iowa guy and there aren’t that many there. Its now or never. I don’t necessarily think KF needs to resign but I think Barta needs to affirm to Stoops that hes the Iowa coach in waiting.
Just my opinion

• Haha
Reactions: chaneccooms
We need an Iowa guy and there aren’t that many there. Its now or never.
Desperation leads to horrible decisions. I also can’t imagine that an Iowa guy is literally the only way to go. Hayden wasn’t an Iowa guy. There are a lot of good coaches out there and Mark Stoops isn’t literally the only coach who could successfully take over at Iowa when KF is gone.

Besides, if Stoops is the guy at LSU, he’ll get fired as soon as he wins fewer than 9 games, so he’ll be available again.

Kirk will probably have something to say in Iowa's next coach as Fry did when he retired. My guess it would be someone with Iowa connections mainly because the Iowa job is not as prestigious as a USC, LSU, or even Penn State coaching job. I don't believe Brian Ferentz is a shoe in for the next coach at Iowa.

Last edited:
Imagine selectively scouring thousands of posts on a message board for part of 1 sentence that somehow supports your one sided and narrow minded viewpoints.
Yes lets imagine
You literally said now is the time for Barta to take action and bring in Mark Stoops. I can’t imagine openly discussing coaching changes at 9-2.…but maybe that’s just my narrow-minded viewpoint. Letting coaches go in this scenario happens all the time.

Mark Stoops has a good thing going in Kentucky. The grass isn't always greener - just ask Dan Mullen.

Other than being the one P5 school in LA, is LSU really a 'destination' job? Granted, Saban did build the program up and the next 2 coaches more or less reaped the benefits (they won in spite of themselves). But the expectations are through the roof and Baton Rouge is probably towards the bottom of any 'best college town' list. If it's an 'a list' program like talking heads say it is, it should have no trouble getting any coach it wants. Josh Pate says that the LSU job is on par with, and even better than, some NFL franchises, so if that were really true, they can call Mike Tomlin's agent, or Bruce Arians' agent, and not get laughed at for asking their availability.

Reactions: bumpstock
Fry had zero input in the hiring of Kirk, he wanted them to hire Stoops. After Kirk was hired he gave his blessing to Kirk.

Desperation leads to horrible decisions. I also can’t imagine that an Iowa guy is literally the only way to go. Hayden wasn’t an Iowa guy. There are a lot of good coaches out there and Mark Stoops isn’t literally the only coach who could successfully take over at Iowa when KF is gone.

Besides, if Stoops is the guy at LSU, he’ll get fired as soon as he wins fewer than 9 games, so he’ll be available again.
This ^

I would love it if Kirk coached another ten years if he was willing to upgrade the offense and hire an actual OC.

3 out of the last 3 last head coaches have a natty. LSU is a destination job...if you can hold on to it. Make no mistake, it's Alabama level expectations down there. If I were Mark's agent I'd say interview, but don't leave, and get a pay bump at UK.

He wanted Bobby Elliott. I have no idea if he supported Bob or not.....
My sources at the time said the job was going to be handed to Bob E., and Hayden was very supportive of that move because he wanted program continuity. Sadly, Bob E.'s health issues got in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Fry had zero input in the hiring of Kirk, he wanted them to hire Stoops. After Kirk was hired he gave his blessing to Kirk.
The fact that Bowlsby didn’t already have a silent agreement with Stoops coming off of Florida’s national championship as their D Coordinator shows just how inept he was as Iowa’s AD.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
My sources at the time said the job was going to be handed to Bob E., and Hayden was very supportive of that move because he wanted program continuity. Sadly, Bob E.'s health issues got in the way.
Thats exactly correct, from what I remember as well....

Mark Stoops is 57-53 at Kentucky. 29-45 in SEC games. Over the same period of time KF is 77-34, and 50-26 in the B1G.

No championships, no division championships. Best finish in the division is 2nd twice. KF with 1 first and 4 seconds in the same years.

Stoops has had 5 winning seasons in his tenure. KF has 9 over the same period.

Now if I recall, most here don't think the SEC is better than the B1G.

So, of course, everything must be done to secure Mark Stoops at HC. :rolleyes:

Mark Stoops has a good thing going in Kentucky. The grass isn't always greener - just ask Dan Mullen.

Other than being the one P5 school in LA, is LSU really a 'destination' job? Granted, Saban did build the program up and the next 2 coaches more or less reaped the benefits (they won in spite of themselves). But the expectations are through the roof and Baton Rouge is probably towards the bottom of any 'best college town' list. If it's an 'a list' program like talking heads say it is, it should have no trouble getting any coach it wants. Josh Pate says that the LSU job is on par with, and even better than, some NFL franchises, so if that were really true, they can call Mike Tomlin's agent, or Bruce Arians' agent, and not get laughed at for asking their availability.
If Mark is smart ... he leverages the interest from LSU to sweeten his deal at Kentucky. He has great job security at Kentucky ... and they appreciate him for what he does there. Kinda foolish to leave a gig like that.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Mark Stoops is 57-53 at Kentucky. 29-45 in SEC games. Over the same period of time KF is 77-34, and 50-26 in the B1G.

No championships, no division championships. Best finish in the division is 2nd twice. KF with 1 first and 4 seconds in the same years.

Stoops has had 5 winning seasons in his tenure. KF has 9 over the same period.

Now if I recall, most here don't think the SEC is better than the B1G.

So, of course, everything must be done to secure Mark Stoops at HC. :rolleyes:
What was KF as a head coach before coming to Iowa?

Kirk will probably have something to say in Iowa's next coach as Fry did when he retired. My guess it would be someone with Iowa connections mainly because the Iowa job is not as prestigious as a USC, LSU, or even Penn State coaching job. I don't believe Brian Ferentz is a shoe in for the next coach at Iowa.
Terrible idea....he should have ZERO say....he is no longer coach. He would 100% choose someone off of the staff. Ferments Fatigue is real. Need an outsider who has total say in his staff from top to bottom.

What a bad memory that is...who was the Hawkeye President who wouldn't pull the trigger on Bob? I can't remember her name.

Oh, what might have been...

Reactions: iowa surfer
If Mark is smart ... he leverages the interest from LSU to sweeten his deal at Kentucky. He has great job security at Kentucky ... and they appreciate him for what he does there. Kinda foolish to leave a gig like that.
I can see him going back to Fla. St. (where he left) if they offer enough $$$.

He could probably win a few ACC titles with the 'noles; also, less pressure than the SEC.

He's an outstanding recruiter (especially in Ohio), and has surrounded himself with good OC's/DC's

The Seminoles need serious rebuilding, and he's proved he has what it takes to rebuild a program.

All of this while living (and, recruiting) in the Florida sunshine.

Last edited:
What was KF as a head coach before coming to Iowa?
A completely unknown commodity.

My comment was directed at those that want to dump KF as soon as possible and hire someone with half the success in a similar situation. I don't understand the desire to do that.

My guess is it is likely that when KF retires, the next coach will likely be another unproven commodity. I'm not as excited about that as most are apparently.

What a bad memory that is...who was the Hawkeye President who wouldn't pull the trigger on Bob? I can't remember her name.

Oh, what might have been...
It was Mary Sue Coleman.

Personally, I think blaming Mary Sue and the search committee was a bit of a ruse by Bowlsby. I don't think Bowlsby ever wanted to hire Stoops due personality/ego conflict. Bowlsby could have promised the job to Stoops, but the words were never said.

From the start, Bowlsby wanted his buddy Terry Allen, which would have been a disaster. Gable intervened to make sure that didn't happen. We essentially backed in to Kirk late in the process. I do believe Mary Sue made the final call after they interviewed Kirk though.

Reactions: bumpstock
Terrible idea....he should have ZERO say....he is no longer coach. He would 100% choose someone off of the staff. Ferments Fatigue is real. Need an outsider who has total say in his staff from top to bottom.
I bet it is worked into his current contract that BF takes the reigns.

It was Mary Sue Coleman.

Personally, I think blaming Mary Sue and the search committee was a bit of a ruse by Bowlsby. I don't think Bowlsby ever wanted to hire Stoops due personality/ego conflict. Bowlsby could have promised the job to Stoops, but the words were never said.

From the start, Bowlsby wanted his buddy Terry Allen, which would have been a disaster. Gable intervened to make sure that didn't happen. We essentially backed in to Kirk late in the process. I do believe Mary Sue made the final call after they interviewed Kirk though.
Thanks for the insight.

I just can't let that one stop bothering me regardless of was involved in the decision making.

ADVERTISEMENT