ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops is a likely candidate for LSU

You people sound like Nebraska wanting to keep it in the family. LOOK what it's got them. A coach that they paid way to much for with and a contract they can't afford to end. I've been a Hawk fan since the early fifties and watched coaches come and go. Be careful what you wish for because I can tell you the new coach has a 75% chance of being much worse than the present and the one after that much worse.

I guess I should of wrote Fry supported the hire of Ferentz instead of having a say. After all it was over 20 yrs. ago and I am old. I do think Ferentz will be at Iowa another 3-5 yrs. and Iowa will at least listen to him when he brings up a coach who should replace him. Get a little tired of hearing the Stoops names always being brought up especially with their ages and I don't believe Iowa is their dream job.

Sources are saying:
1. Jimbo F
2. Bill OBrien
3. Stoops

Jimbo ain’t leaving TAMU. I have mixed feelings about this. I think Barta needs to get ahead of this. Ferentz wont be here forever. We need an Iowa guy and there aren’t that many there. Its now or never. I don’t necessarily think KF needs to resign but I think Barta needs to affirm to Stoops that hes the Iowa coach in waiting.
Just my opinion
Double secret sources?

Kirk isn't going anywhere for the next 5 years.
I sure hope not. That wouldn't do anyone any good. Guys who coach into their 70s just become a parody of their former selves. That's certainly how I felt about Bowden and JoePa. I think KF has 3 years left MAX.

I like M. Stoops and what he has done at Kentucky. Solid job and has really increased their recruiting presence. I do not however think that he "moves the needle" the way that LSU fans and alums will need when it comes to a coaching hire.

Desperation leads to horrible decisions. I also can’t imagine that an Iowa guy is literally the only way to go. Hayden wasn’t an Iowa guy. There are a lot of good coaches out there and Mark Stoops isn’t literally the only coach who could successfully take over at Iowa when KF is gone.

Besides, if Stoops is the guy at LSU, he’ll get fired as soon as he wins fewer than 9 games, so he’ll be available again.
Hayden wasn’t an Iowa guy, but he inherited a staff stocked full of Iowa guys.

Hayden wasn’t an Iowa guy, but he inherited a staff stocked full of Iowa guys.
I don't know a whole lot about Hayden's early staff, but I'm not sure what this means. Pretty much all of the guys who went on to fill up Hayden's "coaching tree" were not at Iowa until he got there and hired them.

I don't know a whole lot about Hayden's early staff, but I'm not sure what this means. Pretty much all of the guys who went on to fill up Hayden's "coaching tree" were not at Iowa until he got there and hired them.
Hayden brought in most of his own guys from his Texas connections with two notable exceptions. One was Dan McCarney, a player and grad asst at IOWA who he named DL coach. He also saw the potential in a high school coach in Mason City by the name of Barry Alvarez who he brought in as linebackers coach.
Iowa grad Bob Stoops joined his staff later after playing for Hayden but initially being recruited by Bob Cummings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT