ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops

I get the Ferentz fatigue. I get that the Stoops name is pretty exciting. But I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops.

Mark is 59-53 in 9 years at Kentucky, including 30-45 in the SEC. Two years ago he was 5-6 (4-6 in the SEC) In the last 5 years, he is 40-23, including 21-21 in the SEC.

Ferentz was 61-49 in his first 9 years at Iowa, including 38-34 in the B1G. He was also 70-31 in his last 9 years at Iowa, including 46-23 in the B1G. In the last 5 years KF is 43-18, including 28-16 in the B!G.

Is wanting Mark Stoops another way of saying that life in the B1G is easier than the SEC? So, if he is pretty successful in the SEC he'll kill it in the B1G? Do you think he will feast on the fertile recruiting landscape at Iowa, vs Kentucky?

I can understand that Mark would be a good candidate when KF leaves, but it's seems many would make the switch right now.

Would Mark Stoops be an upgrade at HC?

🤷‍♀️
I want Bob Stoops as the next coach, not really excited about Mark. However, to build a basketball program into a respectful SEC football program to me is impressive Would Mark be an upgrade, I am not sure, but maybe he would install a 21st century offense. LOL

If Levar became head coach, I could totally see Parker staying as DC. He seems like a guy where DC is his dream job. He is in charge of his side of the ball, and doesn't have to deal with all the CEO bullshit. Relatively anonymous existence while making $1.3M a year.

Or maybe Levar goes young and Wallace is the DC. If he isn't, he is gone.

But there is basically no chance that Kirk retires this year. I do hope there is a chance that Brian leaves in some way, shape or form. A sudden NFL transition?
I have read elsewhere that no one is interested in BF until his lawsuit gets settled. If he loses,then Iowa has every right to fire him and KF as well if he refused to pull the trigger. This could spare the U the cost of a buy out as well. My question is who would be on the hook for paying if he lost the lawsuit.

My God some of you with your big boner in your drawers for LeVar.

Based on what?

LeVar is an outstanding ST coach.

But LeVar has NEVER EVER been in a program other than Kirk's-- therefore his scope overall is tremendously limited.

A Power 5 Big 10 school should NEVER have to resort to a guy whose never coached at another place (not even as a GA) nor ever even been a DC or OC.
Harbaugh
Reid
Suriano

Just a couple names off top of my head who have been incredible head coaches in the NFL that were never coordinaters, I'm sure there are plenty more in both the NFL and college.

Silly take, my man.

I want Bob Stoops as the next coach, not really excited about Mark. However, to build a basketball program into a respectful SEC football program to me is impressive Would Mark be an upgrade, I am not sure, but maybe he would install a 21st century offense. LOL
I would have loved to have Bob 24 years ago, and many, many years since. But, it seems to me that he would be at Oklahoma if he had any interest in coaching. Not to mention that coaching requires a BIG motor. It's easy to lose that motor when you are in your 60's and haven't coached for a while.

Bu, we'll see. 🤷‍♀️

Go research the Kentucky football history and the situation he inherited when he arrived. Then keep in mind he coaches in the SEC conference. Then come back after all that and not look so stupid since you'll be better informed.
Really. Like most conferences the overall opinion is usually tied to the top two or three teams. The SEC has Alabama, and Georgia right now and occasionally you will find Auburn and LSU at the top, but both have had crap seasons also. Then there is Florida who was great in the past but hasn't been great for a while and Tennessee who also was great, then really bad for years and is now climbing back to previous form. So how many games has Mark Stoops teams won against the teams I mention? The answer is 6 He has beaten Florida 4 times, Tennessee 1 time and LSU one-time, all-in years where they were not good teams. So, tell me, who should go back and look at the SEC and then come back after all that and not look so stupid? Just because you think you know something doesn't make it so.

Really. Like most conferences the overall opinion is usually tied to the top two or three teams. The SEC has Alabama, and Georgia right now and occasionally you will find Auburn and LSU at the top, but both have had crap seasons also. Then there is Florida who was great in the past but hasn't been great for a while and Tennessee who also was great, then really bad for years and is now climbing back to previous form. So how many games has Mark Stoops teams won against the teams I mention? The answer is 6 He has beaten Florida 4 times, Tennessee 1 time and LSU one-time, all-in years where they were not good teams. So, tell me, who should go back and look at the SEC and then come back after all that and not look so stupid? Just because you think you know something doesn't make it so.

Another Tavern Hawk trying to sound smarter than he is. LOL, Dumb ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Mark Stoops is by far the most successful P-5 HC who would consider taking the Iowa job. What he's done at Kentucky is nothing short of amazing. Wouldn't surprise me if they play in a NY6 game this season.
What. After today they are 6 and 4 and will drop out of the top 25. No way they play on New Years Day. At best they will be 7 and 5 as they play Georgia next week. Oh, and many of the current coaches in the BIG didn't have P5 Head Coach experience before their current job like Ryan Day. It isn't a predictor of success.

What. After today they are 6 and 4 and will drop out of the top 25. No way they play on New Years Day. At best they will be 7 and 5 as they play Georgia next week. Oh, and many of the current coaches in the BIG didn't have P5 Head Coach experience before their current job like Ryan Day. It isn't a predictor of success.
Awesome job calling out my post from 2 months ago.

Please link all of your bold Sept predictions that have proven to be spot-on.

BTW, Kentucky's disappointing season doesn't nullify everything Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky.

If Levar became head coach, I could totally see Parker staying as DC. He seems like a guy where DC is his dream job. He is in charge of his side of the ball, and doesn't have to deal with all the CEO bullshit. Relatively anonymous existence while making $1.3M a year.

Or maybe Levar goes young and Wallace is the DC. If he isn't, he is gone.

But there is basically no chance that Kirk retires this year. I do hope there is a chance that Brian leaves in some way, shape or form. A sudden NFL transition?
If Kirk retires, promote Lavar, then give Lavar 1/3 Kirks salary and Parker 2/3. No one could argue he’s not worth it. The $$ show he’s considered most important man in program. Lavar still gets nice raise. And when Phil does retire money is freed up.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Bob Stoops wouldn't have won any more games at Iowa than Kirk did and honestly he probably would have won less.
Not exactly going out on a limb saying that another coach wouldn’t get as many wins as someone who’s been there 24 years.

Awesome job calling out my post from 2 months ago.

Please link all of your bold Sept predictions that have proven to be spot-on.

BTW, Kentucky's disappointing season doesn't nullify everything Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky.
Seasons do matter in a world of what have you done lately. Remember when Matt Campbell was on a bunch of shopping lists a few months ago?

My God some of you with your big boner in your drawers for LeVar.

Based on what?

LeVar is an outstanding ST coach.

But LeVar has NEVER EVER been in a program other than Kirk's-- therefore his scope overall is tremendously limited.

A Power 5 Big 10 school should NEVER have to resort to a guy whose never coached at another place (not even as a GA) nor ever even been a DC or OC.
I know this is an old thread but I was just scrolling along and saw this so I had to comment. Your right people who haven't been OCs or DCs never make good coaches I mean other than Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, PJ Fleck, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, etc

I know this is an old thread but I was just scrolling along and saw this so I had to comment. Your right people who haven't been OCs or DCs never make good coaches I mean other than Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, PJ Fleck, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, etc
How many other coaches had those guys learned from before they got their first HC job? That's as big of a deal as them being an OC or DC before as I mentioned in my post.

Get back to me when you've done your research. You can share the answers you found then.

I get the Ferentz fatigue. I get that the Stoops name is pretty exciting. But I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops.

Mark is 59-53 in 9 years at Kentucky, including 30-45 in the SEC. Two years ago he was 5-6 (4-6 in the SEC) In the last 5 years, he is 40-23, including 21-21 in the SEC.

Ferentz was 61-49 in his first 9 years at Iowa, including 38-34 in the B1G. He was also 70-31 in his last 9 years at Iowa, including 46-23 in the B1G. In the last 5 years KF is 43-18, including 28-16 in the B!G.

Is wanting Mark Stoops another way of saying that life in the B1G is easier than the SEC? So, if he is pretty successful in the SEC he'll kill it in the B1G? Do you think he will feast on the fertile recruiting landscape at Iowa, vs Kentucky?

I can understand that Mark would be a good candidate when KF leaves, but it's seems many would make the switch right now.

Would Mark Stoops be an upgrade at HC?

🤷‍♀️
Not big on stoops myself. Would rather see PP promoted, move Woods to OC and have PP groom current staff member to be DC.

How many other coaches had those guys learned from before they got their first HC job? That's as big of a deal as them being an OC or DC before as I mentioned in my post.

Get back to me when you've done your research. You can share the answers you found then.
Only if you promise not to call them a ‘Tavern Hawk’ if they present facts to support their opinion.
Does having a Dad as a coach count? Is it the quantity of the coaches they have learned from or is it the quality?

Reactions: Logon and cmhawks99
Only if you promise not to call them a ‘Tavern Hawk’ if they present facts to support their opinion.
Does having a Dad as a coach count? Is it the quantity of the coaches they have learned from or is it the quality?
There's no coach that has all the bottled up philosophies and theories of success--that even includes Nick Saban. Kirk Ferentz has a lot to share from running the program at the top, but has little understanding of diversity on the offensive side of the ball. Again, show me the list of successful HCs today that worked for one HC and just one program their entire time as an assistant and that program had about as lousy of an offensive system as a program could have.

You did an awesome job of cherry picking to come up with this alleged "gotcha" post, but you have to admit that these guys are the exception, not the rule. Also, Jim H, Fleck and UM were head coaches at smaller programs before being successful at bigger program(s), and Reid & DS were assistant head coaches before becoming head coaches. John H. is the only one that had neither.

Yeah that Tavern Hawk thing makes me chuckle. Like that is a good put down!

Quite frankly what the hell could be worse than an ultra-negative anonymous message board poster who is constantly throwing a fit about a football game or basketball game as the case may be.

You did an awesome job of cherry picking to come up with this alleged "gotcha" post, but you have to admit that these guys are the exception, not the rule. Also, Jim H, Fleck and UM were head coaches at smaller programs before being successful at bigger program(s), and Reid & DS were assistant head coaches before becoming head coaches. John H. is the only one that had neither.
I've told him even with the cherry picked list he came up with to find out how many different successful HCs each of those guys worked under before becoming a HC. We will see what he comes up with. I promise you none of these guys worked for only one their entire time.

He doesn’t have to do anything. Quite frankly of the two of you…I’d take advice from him all day every day before Id let you help me with the groceries!

He doesn’t have to do anything. Quite frankly of the two of you…I’d take advice from him all day every day before Id let you help me with the groceries!
lol, so says the guy who offers nothing more than to show how deep he can have his nose up a coach's you know what. But hey, I'm glad you won the coin flip on who to root for years ago. Had the flip gone a different way you'd be rooting for Nebraska or Iowa State today.

And of course he doesn't have to come up with a list because it would be empty. The claim made is true but of course the guy he touts here would defy all odds and be the first right? Same great football logic/wisdom as you display here.

lol, so says the guy who offers nothing more than to show how deep he can have his nose up a coach's you know what. But hey, I'm glad you won the coin flip on who to root for years ago.

And of course he doesn't have to come up with a list because it would be empty. The claim made is true but of course the guy he touts here would defy all odds and be the first right?

all I can really do is laugh… I mean you literally had me laugh out loud. The way you talk, it’s not hard to tell how old you are…you have zero debate skills my Lord Almighty!

my goodness you sometimes have decent things to say but “Tavern hawk“ Kirk Ferentz “bouncing you on his knee“… Hell I talk to 14 year olds that can come up with better digs than you do… I don’t know how to even take you seriously!

I mean do you really think that is hurtful to somebody like me or hell most of these intelligent guys you try to argue with… They don’t care about that stuff. It says more about you than them. Here’s another one of your favorites “I am so in your head…” I mean again it’s 12 year old shit!

there’s about 40 or 50 guys in here that I really genuinely enjoy what they have to say and I have never ever heard them say any if that kind of stuff!

do you know why?!…. they’re too intelligent, it’s actually embarrassing, but you do you brother!

I know you love to tell people to do research… If you cared to within 5 or 6 minutes I bet you could find 5 to 10 times where I said the offense is terrible. I don’t care for Brian Ferentz etc. etc. but again hey you’ve got those catchy little phrases… lol literally I can’t voice text because I’m laughing so hard!!!

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
all I can really do is laugh… I mean you literally had me laugh out loud. The way you talk, it’s not hard to tell how old you are…you zero debate skills my Lord Almighty!

my goodness you sometimes have decent things to say but me and “Tavern hawk“ Kirk Ferentz “bouncing you on his knee“… Hell I talk to 14 year olds can come up with better digs thing you do… I don’t know how to even take you seriously!

I mean do you really think that is hurtful to somebody like me or hell most of these intelligent guys you try to argue with… They don’t care about that stuff. It says more about you than them. Here’s another one of your favorites “I am so in your head…” I mean again it’s 12 year old shit!

there’s about 40 or 50 guys in here that I really genuinely enjoy what they have to say and I have never ever heard them say any if that kind of stuff!

do you know why?!…. they’re too intelligent, it’s actually embarrassing, but you do you brother!

I know you love to tell people to do research… If you cared to within 5 or 6 minutes I bet you could find 5 to 10 times where I said the offense is terrible. I don’t care for Brian Ferentz etc. etc. but again hey you’ve got those catchy little phrases… lol literally I can’t voice text because I’m laughing so hard!!!
cmon Tavern, you are rattled now. It's an innocent slang applied to your past but yet you take it serious enough that it rattles you bad. You do you though, ok?

Frankly what coaches you like or don't means little to everyone here. Most of your posts show why you aren't taken seriously.

cmon Tavern, you are rattled now. It's an innocent slang applied to your past but yet you take it serious enough that it rattles you bad. You do you though, ok?

Frankly what coaches you like or don't means little to everyone here. Most of your posts show why you aren't taken seriously.

I think you actually believe that…. do a poll I’ve had enough associations with people on this board… Do a poll & ask them if they think I’m really rattled.

I have noticed your ability to debate goes downhill when you get mad, good luck old friend.

Put your wife on, she needs to snap you in line. Sorry about your frustration. It will get better.

Last edited:
I think you actually believe that…. do a poll I’ve had enough associations with people on this board… Do a poll & ask them if they think I’m really rattled.

I have noticed your ability to debate goes downhill when you get mad, good luck oks friend.

Put your wife on, she needs to snap you in line. Sorry about your frustration. It will get better.
Do a poll? Seriously, you that rattled and it means that much to you? LOL Dude, you are on a FREE message board here where everybody can express whatever thoughts they want. You need to understand that better and stop taking yourself so seriously. But you do you...do a poll, lol. Seriously, how damn big of an ego you have? You want to feel better than an anonymous message board holds you in regard? LOL This is obviously why all this minor stuff bothers you so.

And just like all inferiors do, they try accusing others of things they know they are guilty of. Try to do better and learn. Sorry little one, you met your challenge here.

I was only addressing one of the two points you made. Your concern over his lack of diversity in who he has coached under has validity. Your concern that he hasn't been an offensive or defensive coordinator has zero validity .

I was only addressing one of the two points you made. Your concern over his lack of diversity in who he has coached under has validity. Your concern that he hasn't been an offensive or defensive coordinator has zero validity .
Having no OC or DC still has much validity because there just aren’t many highly successful HCs who haven’t had that experience. Just not great odds

But again working with other HCs in other programs matters even more IMO.

1, It wasn't a gotcha post, 2. Those "cherry picked" examples were mostly off the top of my head which means it probably has happened quite a bit, 3. He seemed to imply that being an OC/DC is an important step to being a HC he made no claims that being an associated head coach was a suitable replacement so I pointed out guys that weren't OC/DC. I tend to agree that I would like him to be a HC somewhere else before he became the HC at Iowa but again I wasn't addressing that concern. 4. Being an associate HC is less challenging than that of a Coordinator that is why it's usually in addition to other coaching duties.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
1, It wasn't a gotcha post, 2. Those "cherry picked" examples were mostly off the top of my head which means it probably has happened quite a bit, 3. He seemed to imply that being an OC/DC is an important step to being a HC he made no claims that being an associated head coach was a suitable replacement so I pointed out guys that weren't OC/DC. I tend to agree that I would like him to be a HC somewhere else before he became the HC at Iowa but again I wasn't addressing that concern. 4. Being an associate HC is less challenging than that of a Coordinator that is why it's usually in addition to other coaching duties.
Again, the numbers are stacked against non OC or DC making it big on the HC level. You can find examples, but there's a huge reason most had that role before becoming a HC.

If we're a bottom of the barrel program struggling to get any hire or attracting any much more experienced guy (like Iowa was in the mid-1970s when Bob Commings was hired), then you can take a big reach on a guy whose not served either role. But not when you are a Power 5 today playing in a hell of a competitive league and have built a strong brand for the past 40+ years now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT