ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
I get the Ferentz fatigue. I get that the Stoops name is pretty exciting. But I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops.

Mark is 59-53 in 9 years at Kentucky, including 30-45 in the SEC. Two years ago he was 5-6 (4-6 in the SEC) In the last 5 years, he is 40-23, including 21-21 in the SEC.

Ferentz was 61-49 in his first 9 years at Iowa, including 38-34 in the B1G. He was also 70-31 in his last 9 years at Iowa, including 46-23 in the B1G. In the last 5 years KF is 43-18, including 28-16 in the B!G.

Is wanting Mark Stoops another way of saying that life in the B1G is easier than the SEC? So, if he is pretty successful in the SEC he'll kill it in the B1G? Do you think he will feast on the fertile recruiting landscape at Iowa, vs Kentucky?

I can understand that Mark would be a good candidate when KF leaves, but it's seems many would make the switch right now.

Would Mark Stoops be an upgrade at HC?

🤷‍♀️

Its just the name man. Like Chuck Long and Drew Tate. Somehow they got elevated like a Scott Frost did in Nebraska lore and can do no wrong, until they do.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I get the Ferentz fatigue. I get that the Stoops name is pretty exciting. But I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops.

Mark is 59-53 in 9 years at Kentucky, including 30-45 in the SEC. Two years ago he was 5-6 (4-6 in the SEC) In the last 5 years, he is 40-23, including 21-21 in the SEC.

Ferentz was 61-49 in his first 9 years at Iowa, including 38-34 in the B1G. He was also 70-31 in his last 9 years at Iowa, including 46-23 in the B1G. In the last 5 years KF is 43-18, including 28-16 in the B!G.

Is wanting Mark Stoops another way of saying that life in the B1G is easier than the SEC? So, if he is pretty successful in the SEC he'll kill it in the B1G? Do you think he will feast on the fertile recruiting landscape at Iowa, vs Kentucky?

I can understand that Mark would be a good candidate when KF leaves, but it's seems many would make the switch right now.

Would Mark Stoops be an upgrade at HC?

🤷‍♀️
Go research the Kentucky football history and the situation he inherited when he arrived. Then keep in mind he coaches in the SEC conference. Then come back after all that and not look so stupid since you'll be better informed.

Back to back wins over Florida. Kentucky is a great campus in a great town. Facilities are nice. SEC appeal close to some major metro areas. Not sure hes leaving but money talks and familiarity sometimes breeds contempt for fanbases.

Back to back wins over Florida. Kentucky is a great campus in a great town. Facilities are nice. SEC appeal close to some major metro areas. Not sure hes leaving but money talks and familiarity sometimes breeds contempt for fanbases.

Steven Godfrey from the Split Zone Duo podcast has some pretty strong sources in the SEC and has brought up Stoops name multiple times when they've talked about who takes over after Ferentz. I think there's enough smoke that he would at least pick up the call.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Let us not forget Mark got way more production out of Ahmed Wagner in two seasons, playing his secondary sport, than Fran got in 3. The man is a diety.

Reactions: intrepodor
I nominate me....granted I don't know shit....but I will hire Cris Carter to call the offensive plays.

• Haha
Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
Go research the Kentucky football history and the situation he inherited when he arrived. Then keep in mind he coaches in the SEC conference. Then come back after all that and not look so stupid since you'll be better informed.
Nice.

Kentucky was 48-63 in the 9 years before Stoops. Stoops' 59 wins in 9 years is a pretty good improvement.

The SEC is better than the B1G?

So, other than me being stupid, what's your point? Has Stoops proven to be a better HC than KF?

Reactions: Section25
Nice.

Kentucky was 48-63 in the 9 years before Stoops. Stoops' 59 wins in 9 years is a pretty good improvement.

So, other than me being stupid, what's your point? Has Stoops proven to be a better HC than KF?
He's at least proven he won't settle for a nonexistent offense.

Nice.

In this day and time, yes, sorry to break it to your black and gold heart, but Mark Stoops is a better HC than is Kirk Ferentz and many would make that trade right now. Ferentz has as much clue of how to handle a huge part of the game (offense) as some clueless fanatic like you. Not a HC in college football right now getting more crucified than Kirk because of it.

And for you to think Big 10 football is at the SECs level right there tells me again you probably pay attention to college football about 21 minutes a week-- and that includes the games.

NEWSFLASH: The Big 10 West division that Iowa's in, is, without debate, Power 5 college football's worst division.

In this day and time, yes, sorry to break it to your black and gold heart, but Mark Stoops is a better HC than is Kirk Ferentz and many would make that trade right now. Ferentz has as much clue of how to handle a huge part of the game (offense) as some clueless fanatic like you. Not a HC in college football right now getting more crucified than Kirk because of it.

And for you to think Big 10 football is at the SECs level right there tells me again you probably pay attention to college football about 21 minutes a week-- and that includes the games.

NEWSFLASH: The Big 10 West division that Iowa's in, is, without debate, Power 5 college football's worst division.
I don't even think KF is the best coach in the state of Iowa right now. In fact I don't think at any point he can be considered a very good coach, he was fortunate to have two of the finest defensive minds in CFB history bail him out time and again, and any offensive success was purely coincidental. Banks and Tate were the exception, not the rule. I know we like to sing their praises but CJ Beathard and Ricky Stanzi were average P5 quarterbacks (that tells us how bad our QB rooms have been since KF got here). McCann, Rudock and Stanley were mediocre. Christensen, Vandy (he initially had some promise but went downhill fast), and Petras were/are downright abysmal.

Last edited:
What frydaze said. Exactly what he said.
It’s not that simple. Imo, It’s much harder to recruit to Iowa than Kentucky. Kirk and coaches lately have been doing well after 22+ years at Iowa and a decent amount of wins as of late, but it’s difficult to get kids on campus.

I’d much prefer someone younger, like Levar whose hungry and innovative.

It’s not that simple. Imo, It’s much harder to recruit to Iowa than Kentucky. Kirk and coaches lately have been doing well after 22+ years at Iowa and a decent amount of wins as of late, but it’s difficult to get kids on campus.

I would have disagreed with that a few short years ago, but now it's true. No program has reaped the benefits of being a card-carrying member of the SEC than Kentucky lately, and now that it's acting like a bona fide SEC football program it's probably seen as more attractive for recruits than any B1G program outside the Holy Trinity of Mich, PSU, and tOSU. And Kentucky is an AVERAGE SEC program.

Reactions: mikesright

I'm not sure why it's necessary to take shots at me - all I did was pose the questions.

Many would disagree with you about the SEC being better than the B1G from top to bottom, including those that have actually watched more than 21 minutes of football per week. In any event, I think it's debatable.

KF is at one of his lowest points in his Iowa career, and Mark Stoops is probably at his highest, so It's easy to see why many would make the switch in an instant if they could.

I believe KF's body of work is better. But, then again, I am a "clueless fanatic". :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why it's necessary to take shots at me - all I did was pose the questions.

Many would disagree with you about the SEC being better than the B1G from top to bottom, including those that have actually watched more than 21 minutes of football per week. In any event, I think it's debatable.

KF is at one of his lowest points in his Iowa career, and Mark Stoops is probably at his highest, so It's easy to see why many would make the switch in an instant if they could.

I believe KF's body of work is better. But, then again, I am a "clueless fanatic". :rolleyes:

Cause he's a d***

I don't even think KF is the best coach in the state of Iowa right now. In fact I don't think at any point he can be considered a very good coach, he was fortunate to have two of the finest defensive minds in CFB history bail him out time and again, and any offensive success was purely coincidental. Banks and Tate were the exception, not the rule. I know we like to sing their praises but CJ Beathard and Ricky Stanzi were average P5 quarterbacks (that tells us how bad our QB rooms have been since KF got here). McCann, Rudock and Stanley were mediocre. Christensen, Vandy (he initially had some promise but went downhill fast), and Petras were/are downright abysmal.
Beathard has started several NFL games at QB. Rudock and Stanzi were backup QBs in the NFL for several seasons. And these guys are average or mediocre P5 quarterbacks?

The talent was there. The coaching and play calling limited these guys Just look at what happened with Rudock when he got some different coaching at Michigan.

Beathard has started several NFL games at QB. Rudock and Stanzi were backup QBs in the NFL for several seasons. And these guys are average or mediocre P5 quarterbacks?

The talent was there. The coaching and play calling limited these guys Just look at what happened with Rudock when he got some different coaching at Michigan.
Well, he didn’t really look that much different, win more, or have better stats at Mich…and Iowa was way better than mich in 2015

To my knowledge Stanzi never took even one snap in an NFL regular season game.
Correct, doesn't mean he wasn't a backup that got paid to hold a clipboard for an NFL team. He was good enough that they were ready to use him if they needed to rather than some Joe off the street.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
If Levar Woods was promoted to head coach next year, it would be interesting to see who his coordinators would be. Parker sticking around on defense? I could see that ... it would be my expectation, actually. But would Brian stay on/be kept on as OC/QB? That's a much bigger question. And the answer could speak volumes. (For this exercise, let's assume Kirk has left on his own terms.)

Correct, doesn't mean he wasn't a backup that got paid to hold a clipboard for an NFL team. He was good enough that they were ready to use him if they needed to rather than some Joe off the street.
And he was not good enough to see the field for even ONE play.

Even Rudy at ND got to play one play.

Yes. On the button correct. There is no guarantee that Mark Stoops would work at Iowa, there is not guarantee that any guy would succeed. But what he's done at Kentucky has been very good considering their history and what they are competing against in the SEC.

I would be very happy if he were hired if KF retires.

Bob Stoops has had several incredible O-coordinators, maybe just give him a call and see who replaces Brian? and make KF take his mitts off the offensive design completely?

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Yes. On the button correct. There is no guarantee that Mark Stoops would work at Iowa, there is not guarantee that any guy would succeed. But what he's done at Kentucky has been very good considering their history and what they are competing against in the SEC.

I would be very happy if he were hired if KF retires.
Kentucky plays in the SEC East. That would be Georgia and... a group of good to mostly bad teams. Kind of like the B1G West when Wisconsin was rolling. I went back and looked at Kentucky's schedule since 2016. They beat Florida (meh) three times and LSU once. Stoops is a good coach, but hasn't really proved it against good teams.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
If Levar Woods was promoted to head coach next year, it would be interesting to see who his coordinators would be. Parker sticking around on defense? I could see that ... it would be my expectation, actually. But would Brian stay on/be kept on as OC/QB? That's a much bigger question. And the answer could speak volumes. (For this exercise, let's assume Kirk has left on his own terms.)
No way Brian stays on. Parker would be the interesting one. Is his ego to big to coach under Woods? Probably. I could see Bell being given a shot at D coordinator if Parker bails.

No way Brian stays on. Parker would be the interesting one. Is his ego to big to coach under Woods? Probably. I could see Bell being given a shot at D coordinator if Parker bails.
Good points.

Generally, I think if KFz retired and Iowa promoted from within, the intent would be to try to keep the coaching staff intact as much as possible. (That's why it would be super interesting to see if that would include Brian, with another head coach calling the shots.)

ADVERTISEMENT