ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops

Good points.

Generally, I think if KFz retired and Iowa promoted from within, the intent would be to try to keep the coaching staff intact as much as possible. (That's why it would be super interesting to see if that would include Brian, with another head coach calling the shots.)
If Kirk is gone, he needs to be gone and not interfere. The new head coach should be able to pick the staff he sees fit.

Kentucky plays in the SEC East. That would be Georgia and... a group of good to mostly bad teams. Kind of like the B1G West when Wisconsin was rolling. I went back and looked at Kentucky's schedule since 2016. They beat Florida (meh) three times and LSU once. Stoops is a good coach, but hasn't really proved it against good teams.
Also beat Mississippi state and Penn State in 2018. I think he’s proved it against good teams, just not great teams. How many times has Kirk beaten Wisconsin in like the last 10 years?

Granted, I don’t think he would be the next step up for the program, but I think he could be as successful at Iowa as Kirk has been.

No way Brian stays on. Parker would be the interesting one. Is his ego to big to coach under Woods? Probably. I could see Bell being given a shot at D coordinator if Parker bails.
I think if there is anyone whose ego isn’t as big as it probably should be, it is Phil. I think he just wants to play out the string at the same school until retirement. I’d be more worried about him deciding to hang it up when Kirk retires than worried about him leaving for a different school.

I think if there is anyone whose ego isn’t as big as it probably should be, it is Phil. I think he just wants to play out the string at the same school until retirement. I’d be more worried about him deciding to hang it up when Kirk retires than worried about him leaving for a different school.
I hope we don't lose Seth Wallace.

If Levar became head coach, I could totally see Parker staying as DC. He seems like a guy where DC is his dream job. He is in charge of his side of the ball, and doesn't have to deal with all the CEO bullshit. Relatively anonymous existence while making $1.3M a year.

Or maybe Levar goes young and Wallace is the DC. If he isn't, he is gone.

But there is basically no chance that Kirk retires this year. I do hope there is a chance that Brian leaves in some way, shape or form. A sudden NFL transition?

Reactions: Lumas Etima
Mark Stoops is by far the most successful P-5 HC who would consider taking the Iowa job. What he's done at Kentucky is nothing short of amazing. Wouldn't surprise me if they play in a NY6 game this season.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
In the current era, yes.

Does that mean he’ll automatically have success at Iowa? No.

Honestly, Iowa’s best bet would be to give LeVar Woods a shot.
My God some of you with your big boner in your drawers for LeVar.

Based on what?

LeVar is an outstanding ST coach.

But LeVar has NEVER EVER been in a program other than Kirk's-- therefore his scope overall is tremendously limited.

A Power 5 Big 10 school should NEVER have to resort to a guy whose never coached at another place (not even as a GA) nor ever even been a DC or OC.

Based on what?

But LeVar has NEVER EVER been in a program other than Kirk's-- therefore his scope overall is tremendously limited.

A Power 5 Big 10 school should NEVER have to resort to a guy whose never coached at another place (not even as a GA) nor ever even been a DC or OC.
You do know he is a class guy, but you are correct we would not know. The Kirk haters wanting a Kirk assistant doesn't make any sense to me. I would think they would want to distance away from anything to do with Kirk.

Reactions: frydaze
You do know he is a class guy, but you are correct we would not know. The Kirk haters wanting a Kirk assistant doesn't make any sense to me. I would think they would want to distance away from anything to do with Kirk.
Yes, Woods is a first class guy, but there are other first class coaches out there too.

Based on what?

In the NFL, many of the most successful coaches were special teams coaches. And LeVar is a great one at that job. Take a look at the names on this list.

There's also something to be said for a desire to hire a younger coach to help with recruiting, and LeVar being a minority could help in recruiting too. He is also a player that played for Hayden and Kirk.

Stoops has had two 10-win seasons at Kentucky. They have only had two other ten or more win seasons in the history of the program, one coached by Bear Bryant about 70 years ago. Stoops has done a remarkable job at that school in that league.
Don’t forget, Kentucky starts each year with 5 guaranteed wins. 4 cupcake, non-conference teams and Vanderbilt. South Carolina and Missouri are not good, so there’s a guaranteed 7 wins just for showing up. Miss St is their crossover game and they don’t scare anybody. Only 8 conf games. They have 8 home games this year. It would be embarrassing not to get to 8 wins consistently there with that scheduling.

Don’t forget, Kentucky starts each year with 5 guaranteed wins. 4 cupcake, non-conference teams and Vanderbilt. South Carolina and Missouri are not good, so there’s a guaranteed 7 wins just for showing up. Miss St is their crossover game and they don’t scare anybody. Only 8 conf games. They have 8 home games this year. It would be embarrassing not to get to 8 wins consistently there with that scheduling.
So basically like every other good team....they get more wins because they are better?

If Levar Woods was promoted to head coach next year, it would be interesting to see who his coordinators would be. Parker sticking around on defense? I could see that ... it would be my expectation, actually. But would Brian stay on/be kept on as OC/QB? That's a much bigger question. And the answer could speak volumes. (For this exercise, let's assume Kirk has left on his own terms.)
To me, you offer the job Parker. I’ve heard he doesn’t want to be a HC but you give him that respect and opportunity. If he doesn’t want it, you give him an equal voice in the room as to who the next HC should be.

IT IS IMPERATIVE, he is on board for the transition to keep a mass exodus of the talent they’ve acquired on that side of the ball and there’s at least stability there. Not to mention his general genius as a DC. Iowa, as has been stated before, a bad hire away from falling off in a big way.

Remind me of Kirk's resume in 1999 and what his record at Maine was please. I think Levar is the best chance at continuity with the staff and I like that he's from Iowa and knows what it's like to play at Kinnick and in the NFL. He probably doesn't think Iowa fans are rubes like Kirk seems to and I'd guess not dumb enough to go with a "were not sexy" sales pitch

This is if Bob Stoops made it clear he wasn't interested.... but it doesn't matter, Kirk is gonna ride this $7 million/900k a year gravy train for him and Tommy Boy as long as he possibly can. Fun to dream though

Last edited:
Remind me of Kirk's resume in 1999 and what his record at Maine was please
Dunce, the guy was at Maine 3 years where he inherited a trash program. Then, after being there and working before that under the legendary Hayden, he was in the NFL under Belicheck and Marchibroda. Some amazing mentors.

Reactions: exirahawk1997

Based on what?

Honestly, I get what you’re saying. However, I really don’t see an ideal path regardless (unless Bob Stoops wanted to coach for a few years then pass the torch), so it might be the best and softest transition moving forward.

The pros I see with LeVar are:

1. He’s young and can better relate to recruits.

2. I think there’s a chance Iowa could retain Phil Parker that way.

3. If he’s successful, he’s more likely to stay at Iowa than someone outside who would bounce to a blue blood first chance.

Honestly, I get what you’re saying. However, I really don’t see an ideal path regardless (unless Bob Stoops wanted to coach for a few years then pass the torch), so it might be the best and softest transition moving forward.

The pros I see with LeVar are:

1. He’s young and can better relate to recruits.

2. I think there’s a chance Iowa could retain Phil Parker that way.

3. If he’s successful, he’s more likely to stay at Iowa than someone outside who would bounce to a blue blood first chance.
Hiring a certain guy to retain a DC who will be in his 60s by then just shouldn't be a reason to hire a certain guy.

Being younger and thinking he can recruit well will depend on his ability to have much success as a HC. My point is he needs much more seasoning to expect that. You really want him to be the next HC when only KF and KFs assistants are the ones he's been exposed to?

Did you think a Texan with zero Iowa ties (Hayden Fry) would end up staying at Iowa 20 years? Did you expect a guy from Philadelphia with zero Iowa ties to come here and already spend 12 years here as our basketball coach? You can't predict how long someone will stay so that's a silly argument.

There are people who actually believe that the Big Ten is better than the SEC from top to bottom? Sane people? I love the Big Ten - have degrees from two schools - but Illinois/Indiana/Rutgers/Maryland and Nebraska say hello. SEC has Vandy and maybe Mizzou. Good Lord

Hiring a certain guy to retain a DC who will be in his 60s by then just shouldn't be a reason to hire a certain guy.

Being younger and thinking he can recruit well will depend on his ability to have much success as a HC. My point is he needs much more seasoning to expect that. You really want him to be the next HC when only KF and KFs assistants are the ones he's been exposed to?

Did you think a Texan with zero Iowa ties (Hayden Fry) would end up staying at Iowa 20 years? Did you expect a guy from Philadelphia with zero Iowa ties to come here and already spend 12 years here as our basketball coach? You can't predict how long someone will stay so that's a silly argument.
Again, outside of Bob Stoops, there are a lot of question marks regardless of the direction you go. I don’t believe the pros in favor of LeVar are as flimsy as you like to make them out to be, but I understand your points.

There will never again be another Hayden Fry in our lifetime. Period.

And lol at bringing Fran McCaffrey into the conversation. What viable destination did you see Fran having that would have been an actual upgrade from Iowa? Please list all these suitors who were lining up to poach him. El oh el. Iowa is about the only P5 program that would tolerate the Iowa basketball version of nepotism in addition to the unwavering legacy of March futility that is Fran McCaffrey. If Fran ever left Iowa, it would have been by way of the Steve Alford route. 😝

Again, outside of Bob Stoops, there are a lot of question marks regardless of the direction you go. I don’t believe the pros in favor of LeVar are as flimsy as you like to make them out to be, but I understand your points.

There will never again be another Hayden Fry in our lifetime. Period.

And lol at bringing Fran McCaffrey into the conversation. What viable destination did you see Fran having that would have been an actual upgrade from Iowa? Please list all these suitors who were lining up to poach him. El oh el. Iowa is about the only P5 program that would tolerate the Iowa basketball version of nepotism in addition to the unwavering legacy of March futility that is Fran McCaffrey. If Fran ever left Iowa, it would have been by way of the Steve Alford route. 😝
You can stand on the hill that LeVar Woods is the best Iowa can do-- especially knowing he's never coached anywhere other than for one guy and one program, and has never even been an OC or DC. Sorry, but that's silly thinking and why it is scary to think the thought processes some of you people have. You think with your hearts instead of your heads.

BTW: What assistants from the Kirk coaching tree has he been most responsible for being successful as a HC?

He is 44.

When I was 16 someone that was 44 I figured already had there coffin picked out.

Now that I am in that age bracket....no way in hell I am relating to anyone that doesn't know who Debbie Gibson is.
So you would have preferred a gray-haired coach old enough to be you great granddaddy? Please.

LeVar Woods grew up with hip hop and probably listens to some modern-day artists. Kirk might ask about Bill Withers or Earth, Wind, and Fire.

You can stand on the hill that LeVar Woods is the best Iowa can do-- especially knowing he's never coached anywhere other than for one guy and one program, and has never even been an OC or DC. Sorry, but that's silly thinking and why it is scary to think the thought processes some of you people have. You think with your hearts instead of your heads.

BTW: What assistants from the Kirk coaching tree has he been most successful for being successful as a HC?
By all means, if Iowa can do better than LeVar, count me in.

So you would have preferred a gray-haired coach old enough to be you great granddaddy? Please.

LeVar Woods grew up with hip hop and probably listens to some modern-day artists. Kirk might ask about Bill Withers or Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Only point is that he is not some youngster. His hip hop era would have been Wu-Tang Clan, Salt-in-Peppa, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, and maybe some Snoop Dog to get edgy. Not really the same same hip hop scene these days.

Before Stoops, Kentucky was one of the guaranteed wins to which you refer.

Sure, you're probably right. But wouldn't it be your first call? I sure as hell would ask.
Yes. He's earned the right to get that call, and if he wanted it he's earned the job as well.

HC is really a much different job than being a coordinator IMO. It's kind of like being a Cardiologist vs the CEO of a hospital.

But, Phil has been so good for so long as a defensive coach and DC at Iowa, I'll bet he would be successful.

Did anyone see the WR's playing for Incarnate Word? How in the F can they land big, fast, athletic WR's like that, and year after year we have for the most part a group of pedestrian "tryhards"??? I want a HC who will get off his ass and recruit real athletes on the offensive side of the ball....not "tryhards" that look and fit the "Iowa" stereotype.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
If Levar Woods was promoted to head coach next year, it would be interesting to see who his coordinators would be. Parker sticking around on defense? I could see that ... it would be my expectation, actually. But would Brian stay on/be kept on as OC/QB? That's a much bigger question. And the answer could speak volumes. (For this exercise, let's assume Kirk has left on his own terms.)
I see these takes and wonder why Phil wouldn't become the head coach...

Any coach that replaces Kirk Ferentz, that is not named Brian Ferentz, who does not show Brian Ferentz the door I would consider, "look at the new boss same as the old boss."

Last edited:
I get the Ferentz fatigue. I get that the Stoops name is pretty exciting. But I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops.

Mark is 59-53 in 9 years at Kentucky, including 30-45 in the SEC. Two years ago he was 5-6 (4-6 in the SEC) In the last 5 years, he is 40-23, including 21-21 in the SEC.

Ferentz was 61-49 in his first 9 years at Iowa, including 38-34 in the B1G. He was also 70-31 in his last 9 years at Iowa, including 46-23 in the B1G. In the last 5 years KF is 43-18, including 28-16 in the B!G.

Is wanting Mark Stoops another way of saying that life in the B1G is easier than the SEC? So, if he is pretty successful in the SEC he'll kill it in the B1G? Do you think he will feast on the fertile recruiting landscape at Iowa, vs Kentucky?

I can understand that Mark would be a good candidate when KF leaves, but it's seems many would make the switch right now.

Would Mark Stoops be an upgrade at HC?

🤷‍♀️
He took Kentucky..one of the worst fb programs in the country and made them respectable. And did it in the toughest conference in the land. Beliema got his lunch ate when he tried to coach at Arkansas. He has lowly Illiwini trending up in just his 2nd season. I think Stoops would be a great hire.

To my knowledge Stanzi never took even one snap in an NFL regular season game.
So now it'll all what one does in the next level" A player who is a good HS player
is still a good HS player whether he starts in college or not. And so on from college to pros.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
I see these takes and wonder why Phil wouldn't become the head coach...
Phil has made it clear he is not all that interested in HC position. He has reportedly declined offers in past to stay at Iowa. My guess is he retires when Kirk leaves but could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT