ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops

Again, the numbers are stacked against non OC or Dc making it big on the HC level. You can find examples, but there's a huge reason most had that role before becoming a HC.
Yes mostly because of donor pressure from people who believe there is somehow magical powers in being OC/DC over say being a position coach or a STC. I literally came up with 6 examples off the top of my head Im fairly positive there are many more and honestly if there aren't than that actually speaks to the hit rate.

Having no OC or DC still has much validity because there just aren’t many highly successful HCs who haven’t had that experience. Just not great odds

But again working with other HCs in other programs matters even more IMO.
I agree with you in working with other coaches as being very important.

Not exactly going out on a limb saying that another coach wouldn’t get as many wins as someone who’s been there 24 years.
There is a difference in saying wouldn't have won as many games and wouldn't have won as much. Most people would understand the difference. I think you probably did too.

Yes mostly because of donor pressure from people who believe there is somehow magical powers in being OC/DC over say being a position coach or a STC. I literally came up with 6 examples off the top of my head Im fairly positive there are many more and honestly if there aren't than that actually speaks to the hit rate.
And again, how many of them ever worked for just one HC their entire time? If we're Indiana or NW we may need to keep a bar low in this regard-- but we won't need to be.

Beathard has started several NFL games at QB. Rudock and Stanzi were backup QBs in the NFL for several seasons. And these guys are average or mediocre P5 quarterbacks?

The talent was there. The coaching and play calling limited these guys Just look at what happened with Rudock when he got some different coaching at Michigan.
I am sure you are looking at the talent at Michigan and not at Iowa. Please look at the recruiting classes of 2013 and 2012. Michigan top 10 Iowa 43 and 53. I am sure Rudock enjoyed all the talent Michigan had on their roster. It is not about the X's and O's it is about the Jimmy and Joes. Michigan has been a top 11 team in recruiting from 2020-2022 and have had top 10 teams the last couple of years. Our coaches coach above their recruiting rankings consistently and you think the coaching and play calling limit these guys?

Jimmy, the great coach, was on the hot seat after his 2-4 2020 season and lack of making the Big 10 title game. He has lost 5 bowl games in a row.

Go research the Kentucky football history and the situation he inherited when he arrived. Then keep in mind he coaches in the SEC conference. Then come back after all that and not look so stupid since you'll be better informed.
I don't thing we should call anyone stupid. First we should remember the SEC plays 8 conference games and then we might want to look at a service like Sagarin. I did and in 2022 Iowa's SOS is 25 and Kentucky is 51. 2021 Iowa SOS 24 Kentucky 68, 2019 Iowa 30 Kentucky 64.

I could not find more Sagarin rankings, but the last 3 non covid years have Iowa clearly with the more difficult schedule.

And again, how many of them ever worked for just one HC their entire time? If we're Indiana or NW we may need to keep a bar low in this regard-- but we won't need to be.
Are we going to just continue to pretend that I haven't stated multiple times in this very thread that I actually agree with you on the idea that it is a concern that he has only coached under one guy.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Rudock's senior year at Michigan was his continued growth as a player, it wasn't some giant jump in performance. His stats were probably roughly the same as they would have been at Iowa.

He started three seasons.

His passer rating: 126.5, 133.5, 141.5

AY/A: 6.2, 7.3, 7.7

Ricky Stanzi must have gotten some off the charts coaching in his senior season to see his stats do this:

PR: 134.8, 131.6, 157.6
AY/A: 7.2, 6.8, 9.4

But, of course, a large chunk of Iowa fans think Ricky had his worst season as a senior.

Fans can be really dumb.

Rudock's senior year at Michigan was his continued growth as a player, it wasn't some giant jump in performance. His stats were probably roughly the same as they would have been at Iowa.

Ricky Stanzi must have gotten some off the charts coaching in his senior season to see his stats do this:

But, of course, a large chunk of Iowa fans think Ricky had his worst season as a senior.

Fans can be really dumb.

BINGO….that is a fact and they do remember Ricky having a poor year. That IS the narrative on here!

Reactions: ichawk24

Fans can be really dumb.
It's simple really - Ricky threw 6 pick 6's in 2009 but the team won. He was much better statistically in 2010 but the team lost more games.

Being a QB is like being a starting pitcher - fans only look at the W/L record.

🤷‍♀️

Fans can be really dumb.
DJK and McNutt in 2010. Best WR combo we ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT