ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland games defines who Iowa is.

HawkNole09

HB MVP
Sep 20, 2009
You are only as good as your result against this week's opponent.

I hope the Hawks come out ready to kick the snot out of the Terps and make the national press start paying attention.

This team is for real.

We are 7-0 through the 1st 8 weeks, Iowa has met all challenges and come out on top. You can't take away anything from this team that they have already accomplished. The Maryland game is the next challenge, nothing more and nothing less. It will not define the season.
My sarcasm meter is on the fritz, but I have to believe jerkmeister was being sarcastic.
Edit: Jerkmeister was truly a typo (j is right next to h) but if you look up what it means in urban slang, kind of appropriate and humerous.:D

Coming out of the bye week this can set the tone for the remainder of the season for sure. I'm not sure anyone will change their mind until a CCG, though.

It will certainly tell us whether the "good focus" is sustaining.

I want to see a full 60 minutes of focus. If we see that, Maryland gets rolled big time.

Reactions: paladinhawk
I wouldn't say that it would define a thing. However, with that said, how the Hawks perform could send a message regarding how Iowa responds to now having a target on its back.

We're used to Iowa trying to prove itself ... now it's Maryland who will be trying to prove themselves by beating Iowa. Can the Hawks demonstrate that they've taken the next step ... and INTIMIDATE the opposing teams who play them. Will they come out sharp, get a lead, and then step on the neck of their foe?

Will they PROVE that the bullies truly are back?

It will certainly tell us whether the "good focus" is sustaining.

I want to see a full 60 minutes of focus. If we see that, Maryland gets rolled big time.
Absolutely. And they need to do it about 6 seconds at a time. Watched some of last years game again, and what a lack of focus on both sides of the ball. Had the back stopped behind the LOS but don't wrap up, quit on the play, and he runs for a TD. Had the QB sacked on 3rd and long, miss 2 tackles, and he runs for 1st and goal. Turnovers, pick 6's, stupid penalties (Christ, Draper ripped the qb's helmet clear off to give them half the distance to the goal) Even King fumbles a punt! Well, I think you get the point. Not sure why we had such a lack of focus and discipline last year, but it certainly was uncharacteristic of a KF team and they seem to have it corrected so far this year (knock on wood). If they don't turn it over, have stupid penalties, continue to run the ball and stop the run, and continue to improve, this should not be a game. Thus, I keep predicting a 45-9 score.

At this point in the season with this much on the line, it resembles the NCAA tournament. You just win and advance.

If we win and keep winning everything will take care of itself; wont matter if we win games by 3 or 30.

I think we see a run-heavy game plan because Terp's run D isn't very good and it will avoid CJ from taking too many hits.
I think they stopped Penn State running last week. The passing defense had trouble but that seemed because the PSU receivers went up and got the ball while being covered.

I think they stopped Penn State running last week. The passing defense had trouble but that seemed because the PSU receivers went up and got the ball while being covered.

The Sandusky's don't have our OL run blocking. And our QB can make throws they have to go get or he can sling it in right behind a DB's ear.

I think this team has had tremendous focus and don't see that changing this week.

49-14 wouldn't surprise me. They may fire Edsall again after we get done with them.

Just listened to the UM play by play guy on 1600. Paraphrasing...

Generally speaking, they're playing with house money at this point and has noticed the team more confident than they had been under Edsall.

He said the one thing he knows about Locksley is he will run the read option with Hills until Iowa stops it, period. Also mentioned Hills took a beating the last two games and it will be interesting having a third straight physical team beating down on him how Hills holds up.

They also have put in a Will Lively package on offense. I didn't know how small Lively is...like 5'8" at most and 165. Pretty small for CB's nowadays.

Reactions: icu81222
I wouldn't say that it would define a thing. However, with that said, how the Hawks perform could send a message regarding how Iowa responds to now having a target on its back.

We're used to Iowa trying to prove itself ... now it's Maryland who will be trying to prove themselves by beating Iowa. Can the Hawks demonstrate that they've taken the next step ... and INTIMIDATE the opposing teams who play them. Will they come out sharp, get a lead, and then step on the neck of their foe?

Will they PROVE that the bullies truly are back?
I never took the "Bullies" thing literally but beating up on the weaklings on the back half of the schedule truly will be bullying. I think they've proven enough against the better teams on the front end to reclaim the name. On the subject of physical play, Ohio State plays MSU and Michigan the two weeks prior to the CCG so we should we meet them as expected we should be the fresher team. Barrett could be beat to hell after that.

BTW, what is the tie-breaker if UM, MSU and OSU all finish with a loss? This would mean OSU beating MSU and then losing to Michigan. TIA.

lighten%20up%20francis_0.png

I never took the "Bullies" thing literally but beating up on the weaklings on the back half of the schedule truly will be bullying. I think they've proven enough against the better teams on the front end to reclaim the name. On the subject of physical play, Ohio State plays MSU and Michigan the two weeks prior to the CCG so we should we meet them as expected we should be the fresher team. Barrett could be beat to hell after that.

BTW, what is the tie-breaker if UM, MSU and OSU all finish with a loss? This would mean OSU beating MSU and then losing to Michigan. TIA.
In a perfect world, Iowa gets thst extra day of rest by playing Friday vs Nebraska.

I thought I saw a scenario though where there could be a 3 way tie in the east and the tie breaker is determined by the CFB Playoffs committee ranking that comes out (I believe) on Tuesday!

If that is the case all 3 east teams would know it's iowa and Iowa wold have to prepare for 3 different teams!

Yikes if that happened

We are 7-0 through the 1st 8 weeks, Iowa has met all challenges and come out on top. You can't take away anything from this team that they have already accomplished. The Maryland game is the next challenge, nothing more and nothing less. It will not define the season.
Hey, I had the Hawks going 9-3 this year and they're gonna smash that so I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters !

I thought I saw a scenario though where there could be a 3 way tie in the east and the tie breaker is determined by the CFB Playoffs committee ranking that comes out (I believe) on Tuesday!

This is correct and just unbelieveable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT