ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland @ Illinois (Fri)

IL with 3 key playmakers out takes Maryland to the last play. Lots of talent and lots of mistakes from both teams. Playing against quality lines both teams will have issues in my view.

Tuned into this expecting to see a Maryland team that was Texas Tech/Big12/Air Raid B-52 Arch Angel carpet bombing fiesta. Nope, Chief Illiniweak rose up from his burial scaffold and rode the dirty terrapin into the last second. Really entertaining game. Hawks should beat down both these teams if they keep their head on straight.

How many trap games before Ped State?

By my definition of what is a “trap” game, none.

But, if the Iowa football team says to itself … “meh, Maryland barely beat Illinois and Illinois is terrible” … then going to play Maryland on the road on a Friday night the weekend before PSU is the very definition (IMO) of a “trap” game.

In my mind, a “trap” game is one which a favored team overlooks its opponent and the circumstances are ripe for the opponent to pull off an upset.

Had Maryland played lights out and dominated Illinois, I’d be less inclined to consider it to be a potential “trap.” Less of a chance that Iowa would overlook Maryland in anticipation of the PSU game.

I think our defense is going to be fine when we play either of these teams.
I was an idiot when I said that earlier this week. Maryland's offense is not difficult if you focus on your keys and ignore the bells and whistles. Disciplined high school teams are capable of doing that, so I think Parker's back seven this year will be just fine.

I was an idiot when I said that earlier this week. Maryland's offense is not difficult if you focus on your keys and ignore the bells and whistles. Disciplined high school teams are capable of doing that, so I think Parker's back seven this year will be just fine.
As long as we keep Tua's brother from beating us with his legs, it should be another good day for the defense. He'll be a bigger threat to run than anyone else we will have faced. As always, if we can get pressure with the front 4, we will force him into making throws he doesn't want to make.

Bielema didn't do Iowa any favors. Next week, Maryland has Kent State. They will be 4 - 0 when they meet Iowa and hyped up to go 5 - 0 and beat a #5 team.

Indiana often used to start 5-0, then finish with six or seven straight losses when they played actual football teams. Maryland is Maryland, regardless of what its record might be when the Terps face Iowa.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Petras Popadakis or however it’s spelled was so fuggin bad I shut it off. It seemed like he hadn’t prepared at all.

When I turned it on it was 3-3 and I laughed. I was impressed with IL’s Josh McCray at RB, seemed like a RB that usually is on Iowa’s roster. The also have a good Aussie punter, beyond that they will be a pushover for us again…:cool:

I just looked and Tagovailova went 32/43 for 350 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs and rushed 6 times for 25 yards. This thread led me to believe this guy is only dangerous as a runner. At least on paper, he and umd seem plenty dangerous.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT