ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland is #1 in ESPN early Top 25

Not looking like a real strong big ten this year outside of Maryland. I still don't see them as the number 1 team in the country. Michigan State is looking to be as weak as they've been for quite some time and Wisconsin has really been hurt by graduation. I would say we have at least an outside shot at finishing near the top of the conference. We need our seniors to really step up and get some surprise contributions from Uhl and at least one of the freshman.

I see five teams in the Big Ten which could end up in the top 15. That is other than the fact they will knock each other around a bit.

Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana all have reason to expect great years.

We're in a group with Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Illinois and Northwestern aren't far behind.

Then there's Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers.

It's one heck of a year. I've taken notice of the schedules and the groups above include my assessment of the SOS in the Big Ten of each.

Not looking like a real strong big ten this year outside of Maryland. I still don't see them as the number 1 team in the country. Michigan State is looking to be as weak as they've been for quite some time and Wisconsin has really been hurt by graduation. I would say we have at least an outside shot at finishing near the top of the conference. We need our seniors to really step up and get some surprise contributions from Uhl and at least one of the freshman.
I think the B1G is the strongest we have seen in many years. The league is filled with NBA prospects.

Reactions: nu2u
The key is protecting home court this year. Iowa will face some pretty good squads in the Big Ten and if they can win at home will go along way in getting them into the tournament.

Maryland is last years Wisky (its their year to do it)
MSU never count out Izzo, his players are good
Michigan & Indiana will be the most improved teams and be very strong
Purdue & Wisky (Bo's last year) & OSU will still be strong. PU size will be tough to handle
Iowa & Illinois are teams that could do some damage, but need some contributions from bench.

The rest will be okay, but NW looks like a sleeper to me. They could be really good or really bad. They had a lot of close games last year that they lost. If they can turn that around they could be decent this year.

Like everyone said if our seniors play like seniors and we get some contributions from the new guys, we will be okay in the Big Ten. Im thinking top 5

Disagree about weakness of the league. There may not be a team in the national title game, but top to bottom just not many weak teams at all. MSU lost people, but return Valentine, Nairn, Eron Harris (transfer from West Virginia), plus good recruiting class. Wisconsin will not be as good, but doesn't mean they won't be quality. They have Koenig and Nigel Hayes to build around. Bo Ryan has created top half of conference teams with less than that in the past.

Hawkeyes would need some significant steps forward from a few sources to be near the top of the conference. Should be an interesting year.

Add me to the list of people who think this will be a very strong year for the BIG. Maryland is a very deep, talented and experienced team this year. Trimble, Layman and Nickens are a gret returning trio. Add in experineced transfers Carter (6-8 250 11.4ppg, 8.4 rpg from Georgia Tech) and Suliamon and this team in dangerous. Then throw in top prospect Diamond Stone and it makes Maryland the most complete team in the country.

After Maryland you still have an Indiana team that returns Ferrell, Blackmon, Williams and Johnson as well as adds two talented post players in Thomas Bryant and Juwan Morgan.

MSU could be down but a lot of people are forgetting they are adding transfer Eron Harris from West Virgina this season. MSU still has Valentine, Forbes, Costello and Tum Tum plus brings in a very talented freshmen class this year. Wouldnt be surprised to see some of their sophs take a leap this year as well.

Michigan is going to be a top 25 team with LeVert, Walton, Irvin, Dawkins and Albrecht returning. All five of those guys can pop 20 points on any given night.

Purdue is going to have one of the best frontcourts in the country while the backcourt will still be very solid. Wiscosnin still has Koenig and Hayes, two guys that very well could be 2 of the B1Gs top 10 players this year. I've heard rumors that redshirt frosh Ethan Happ is their best player at practice on some days.

I would not be surprised if the B1G has 7 maybe even 8 or 9 teams that find themsleves in the top 25 throughout the year and come March have 4-5 serious threats to advance to and even past the sweet 16. Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, MSU, Purdue and Wisconsin all have the type of assets that can push a team deep into March. Iowa, Illinois, OSU and Northwestern could all be darkhorses.

There's no team that will dominate like Wisconsin did last year. However, the general level of play could be higher.

I don't know Maryland is a team that could blow through the B1G this season. Trimble, Sulaimon, Layman, Carter and Stone would be an amazing starting lineup. Nickens, Wiley, Dodd and Cekovsky is a top bench. Maryland is a team that can beat you all over the court.

Reactions: dbq hawk 32
There's no team that will dominate like Wisconsin did last year. However, the general level of play could be higher.
B1G looks very good and deep. There are going to be some good teams that don't finish in the top half of the league. A little luck with scheduling, injuries and bounces will be the difference between finishing in the top third or bottom third for most teams.

I think the B10 gets at least 6 teams into the NCAA tourney this year, maybe one more. Top 4 will get very good seeds. B10 is the toughest conference top to bottom. It will be a long grind. The age old adage about the B10 applies more than ever: protect your home court, no upsets, and take one or two on the road.

Maryland won't be this years wisconsin because bo Ryan is a much,much better coach than mark turgeon. Iowa came out vs maryland and pounded them. Nobody does that vs wisconsin and suilamon might be a red flag. Only player coach k has ever kicked off. Dan dakich wrote a buyer beware on maryland and his points are valid. Tom izzo is still at Michigan state they will be good. Hopefully iowa keeps the trend of continuing to get better every year. Think indiana will be better than maryland cause they have a better back court and watching both diamond stone and thomas Bryant play. Thomas Bryant is a lot better. Diamod stone is closer to cliff Alexander than jahlil okafor.

Meh.... Marylands going to be great, but I'm not sure about number 1.

Indiana's suppose to be great, but I'm not convinced.

Purdues bigs are insane, but guard play dominates CBB. Definitely a tourney team, but not gonna dominate the conference like some say.

I've learned to never count out MSU, and Wisconsin. No matter how down they look, they are both top 20 squads. Wisconsin still has Hayes, and other pieces in Bo's last year. Msu always turns it on during March.

I think this conference is loaded, but we still get a top 5 finish. The experience will help early, and we have a star in Uthoff who can take over on both sides. We should be a solid team.

I wouldn't sleep on Purdue. I like them a lot. Any team with a guy with a name like Basil Smotherman cannot be all bad. The Boiler's frontcourt will have the advantage over everyone (almost) that they play.

When his basketball career is over, i think Smotherman has a career as a Butler ahead of him.

Reactions: fmo
I don't know Maryland is a team that could blow through the B1G this season. Trimble, Sulaimon, Layman, Carter and Stone would be an amazing starting lineup. Nickens, Wiley, Dodd and Cekovsky is a top bench. Maryland is a team that can beat you all over the court.
Speaking of which...

Reactions: unoHawkeye
When Maryland lost they got punded. Diamond stone is not the karl towns, jahlil okafor kind of player. How do they deal with outside expectations? Will sulaimon be a problem the way he was at duke. Big ten coaches are smart, they have film on maryland now. The could very well be good but there are plenty of question marks. They plus be this years nebraska too.

If Vegas had odds on Sulaimon I would bet that he will have his best college season this year. He has a chip on his shoulder and its his last shot to show the NBA his insane skill sets.

Teams were able to beat Maryland in the paint last year. This year it wont be as easy. Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter is a bruiser in the the paint. Not only is he big bodied but he is long armed and an under rated shot blocker. He is 6'8" but becasue of his long arms he plays like he is 6'10" - 6'11". As a SO in the ACC he avg over 11ppg and 8 rpg. He will allow Layman to play the stretch more which will in itself make Maryland better.

Because of Carter Diamond Stone doesnt have to be Towns like many scouts compare him to be. All he has to be is basically Adam Woodbury and Marylands frontcourt will be a huge improvement from last year.

I can understand why some experts think Maryland is the #1 team right now. They return Trimble and Layman, have a stable of young talented players in Nickens, Wiley, Dodd and add transfers Sulaimon, Carter as well as a McDonalds All-American.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT