ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland

Maryland can score against an inferior team. Not sure how they'll play against a good defense but looked really good today.

UMD seems to be a wild card of sorts.
Not good enough to win the East but good enough to keep another team like Penn State or Michigan from winning it.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
They've done this before in non-conference games. Then they get in conference and get housed. That said, Tagovailoa looks to be the real deal so far. We'll see how he does against a defense with a pulse.

Maryland is a wildcard. They've had some strong recruiting classes and have a decent amount of talent. But that's been true for awhile and they never had a winning Big Ten record, despite some relatively frequent early season success. For example, in 2019 they beat Howard 79-0 and then beat a then-ranked Syracuse team 63-20. They then proceeded to go 1-8 in the Big Ten.

Very tricky game. Also non-routine Friday night game.

I remember we looked like complete crap out there a few years ago.

Reactions: FreddyUI
Was supposed to be our annual road trip this year but Covid is gonna keep us away unfortunately.
Understand completely- I'm going with 2 Iowa fans in my group for that game- interested to see how many Iowa fans they are there-I was at the MD WVU game last week, had to be 50-50 fans split sadly...

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I only live about 35 minutes from College Park. I went back in 2014, so I'd love to go again. Unfortunately I have a prior commitment this year. Hoping for a better result this time :rolleyes:

Reactions: Noahtogo24
I only live about 35 minutes from College Park. I went back in 2014, so I'd love to go again. Unfortunately I have a prior commitment this year. Hoping for a better result this time :rolleyes:
I was there for our loss. Lol
I lived in Virginia at the time. Maryland band played our fight song which was really cool.

Hoping that Iowa can iron out some kinks against Kent State and Colorado State and get things in motion for our first big ten road test. It'll be good to get Petras and Goodson some in-game reps against MAC and MWC teams.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Maryland can be world beaters during crabbing season and then for some reason implode afterwards. Luckily we'll be playing them after crabbing season is over.

Reactions: l.todd
I posted something similar in another thread, but here are my $0.02. Maryland relies heavily on running a small number of plays, but using multiple formations, shifts, and motion (eye candy) to try to disguise what they are doing and confuse the defense about their keys and responsibilities. Iowa's defense is well-coached and able maintain eye and gap discipline so that all the movement is not very distracting. This year's back seven is outstanding with regard to this, so I think Iowa's defense controls the game much the same as they have the first two weeks. Maryland also tends to turn the ball over while forcing few turnovers, and it's rushing defense allowed 4.9 ypa last year. After what I anticipate to be a 4-0 start, their stadium will be rocking at kickoff on a Friday night, and much like last night, I expect it to be mostly empty when the game clock expires.

Reactions: kwik44
Big-time classic trap game. Easy to overlook the unremarkable Terps with Penn St looming.

Iowa played horribly last time there in '14 (I can attest; saw it in person), and I assume has NEVER won there.

Last time Iowa had an "East Coast B1G game" was at Rutgers in '16, when we also played like crap and barely snuck out of there with a win against a terrible team.

Road wins are hard to get, especially when you're traveling a ways. Iowa hasn't won a road game vs. the B1G East in front of a crowd since @ Indiana in '18, and before that was @ Rutgers in '16 alluded to above.

I sure hope that the team's experiences in the first two games has them prepared, and I hope that KF can keep them focused on the task at hand each week, because as good as this team is, they are not good enough to look past anyone...

Big-time classic trap game. Easy to overlook the unremarkable Terps with Penn St looming.

Iowa played horribly last time there in '14 (I can attest; saw it in person), and I assume has NEVER won there.

Last time Iowa had an "East Coast B1G game" was at Rutgers in '16, when we also played like crap and barely snuck out of there with a win against a terrible team.

Road wins are hard to get, especially when you're traveling a ways. Iowa hasn't won a road game vs. the B1G East in front of a crowd since @ Indiana in '18, and before that was @ Rutgers in '16 alluded to above.

I sure hope that the team's experiences in the first two games has them prepared, and I hope that KF can keep them focused on the task at hand each week, because as good as this team is, they are not good enough to look past anyone...
One thing Iowa has going for them this time is that Greg Davis is no longer there running that dysfunctional offense. Another thing 2021 Iowa D and Special Teams > 2014 D and Special Teams by a wide margin. Phil Parker has had 7 more years to fine tune this defense into a well oiled machine.

MD fan here-any of you Iowa fans making the trek East for the game?

Congrats on the huge win yesterday as well...
Yes. My wife and I will be there. We are meeting my sister and brother in law from California.

I posted something similar in another thread, but here are my $0.02. Maryland relies heavily on running a small number of plays, but using multiple formations, shifts, and motion (eye candy) to try to disguise what they are doing and confuse the defense about their keys and responsibilities. Iowa's defense is well-coached and able maintain eye and gap discipline so that all the movement is not very distracting. This year's back seven is outstanding with regard to this, so I think Iowa's defense controls the game much the same as they have the first two weeks. Maryland also tends to turn the ball over while forcing few turnovers, and it's rushing defense allowed 4.9 ypa last year. After what I anticipate to be a 4-0 start, their stadium will be rocking at kickoff on a Friday night, and much like last night, I expect it to be mostly empty when the game clock expires.
It is a tricky game for the reasons you outline. First, Maryland does have good skill position players. They thrive off big plays and they can make you pay if not aligned correctly, a tackle is missed, etc. The Iowa offense will have to do its part in this game by just plain moving the football and scoring points where the opportunity arises.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Maryland is a wildcard. They've had some strong recruiting classes and have a decent amount of talent. But that's been true for awhile and they never had a winning Big Ten record, despite some relatively frequent early season success. For example, in 2019 they beat Howard 79-0 and then beat a then-ranked Syracuse team 63-20. They then proceeded to go 1-8 in the Big Ten.
Under Armour money.

Me and another buddy are heading up there Wednesday. What are some good tailgating spots around the stadium?

Agree with others that maryland appears to be, again, a team that's hard to peg. Illinois looks like a wounded duck now after their takedown of little debbie. Will be interesting to see what happens in Champaign on Friday.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Maryland and Iowa could both be undefeated when they meet
I don't think that this is a scenario where Maryland "just" could be undefeated ... I'm quite certain that they WILL be undefeated. Probably a nice set-up for the Hawks should they win ... taking down an undefeated opponent in hostile territory.

Should that all transpire ... it will make PSU's early season schedule look that much more interesting too ... early season victories against Wisconsin, potentially Auburn, and potentially Indiana. Of course, it will be no small order for PSU to take out BOTH Auburn and Indiana ...

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
I like that the Hawks have (and will face) a bunch of talented QBs ... it will hopefully battle test this defense so that they will continue to improve.

Prepping for guys like Penix and Purdy is hopefully pretty decent prep for guys like Taulia Tagovailoa and Sean Clifford. Also, Kent State's Dustin Crum could prove to be decent prep for Minny's Tanner Morgan and Nebby's Adrian Martinez.

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT