ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs

I don't think you're a bigot. I think you simply want to excuse any responsibility the right has for creating such an anti LGBTQ atmosphere.

Wrong. The right's (many) anti-LGBTQ rhetoric disgusts me. I hold them in only the highest of contempt. I was on CNN October 2020 calling Trump "despicable". (Although I am not sure Trump, for all his bad, has ever said anything anti-LGBTQ. Has he?).

Wrong. The right's (many) anti-LGBTQ rhetoric disgusts me. I hold them in only the highest of contempt. I was on CNN October 2020 calling Trump "despicable". (Although I am not sure Trump, for all his bad, has ever said anything anti-LGBTQ. Has he?).
Then I am officially stumped what your deal is in this thread.

I'd say has become,.. But I'm fairly old, and actually remember how real journalists used to practice their craft.
You're not "fairly old", you're just of an age(probably in the network television era). That age of people tends to see things, mostly on television, through rose colored glasses and talks a lot about trusting news anchors.

Didn't they teach about 'yellow journalism' when you were in school?

You're not "fairly old", you're just of an age(probably in the network television era). That age of people tends to see things, mostly on television, through rose colored glasses and talks a lot about trusting news anchors.

Didn't they teach about 'yellow journalism' when you were in school?

I am familiar with yellow journalism, but at the time that term was coined the problem was relatively isolated, now it's rampant...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Then I am officially stumped what your deal is in this thread.

My post 206 on page 6, post 253 on page 7, and post 255 on page 7 hint at my "deal", but only hint, because they were responding to a specific point.

But my post 337 on page 9 nails it:

"Wouldn't the most accepting-of-the-LGBTQ community be to report this as "just" a bar, until the relevance of the LGBTQ tie was clear?

This is a VERY important hill to die on. My position strikes to the very heart of non-acceptance and non-tolerance: NOT treating the LGBTQ as the same as cis."

Shouldn't this be the goal? To normalize this as "just another set of people at just another bar", until we (or, really, reporters) know that the motive of the perp was tied to the sexual orientation of the bar's patrons?

My post 206 on page 6, post 253 on page 7, and post 255 on page 7 hint at my "deal", but only hint, because they were responding to a specific point.

"Wouldn't the most accepting-of-the-LGBTQ community be to report this as "just" a bar, until the relevance of the LGBTQ tie was clear?

This is a VERY important hill to die on. My position strikes to the very heart of non-acceptance and non-tolerance: NOT treating the LGBTQ as the same as cis."

Shouldn't this be the goal? To normalize this as "just another set of people at just another bar", until we (or, really, reporters) know that the motive of the perp was tied to the sexual orientation of the bar's patrons?
So if a prostitute is found murdered in town you believe that news story should only report that a “person” was found killed? Wouldn’t want to suggest anything by reporting the sex or their type of work?
Be a really short story.

• Love
Reactions: BHawkeye199999

Totally should be the goal, in a theoretical sense. But won't, and this is no cynicism nor dismissal of your point. Things like bars/pubs/clubs will always be formally/informally defined by their primary clientele. Or by their style. College bar. Biker bar. Sports bar. Irish pub. Gay bar. Some bars have a night or two each week sort of (formally sometimes, but usually informally) tailored for a specific clientele. A bar for which I did a wraparound (not reacharound) mural is a fully eclectic mix of people every day/night, but is most definitely a more specific mix of people when the monthly drag show takes place.

We get the point you're trying to make. But it's a bit off. It's kind of a lofty theoretical point that chooses to ignore very basic, longstanding contextual stuff.

Reactions: TennNole17
Yeah, this is pretty common on social media right now. The nutters aren’t upset, they’re doubling down. Lots of “this is to be expected so long as they’re allowed to continue grooming.” Tucker had a nut on last night saying pretty much that and he just smirked along. But…both sides.
Need the eye balls/clicks. Simply economics.

So if a prostitute is found murdered in town you believe that news story should only report that a “person” was found killed? Wouldn’t want to suggest anything by reporting the sex or their type of work?
Be a really short story.

Oh, I think reporting the sex/gender of the victim is fine.

But reporting her type of work would depend upon circumstances. If she was murdered walking out to her car in a Target parking lot, then no.

Fine if the story is short. Much better than for it to mislead by conjecture.

Reactions: TennNole17
Oh, I think reporting the sex/gender of the victim is fine.

But reporting her type of work would depend upon circumstances. If she was murdered walking out to her car in a Target parking lot, then no.

Fine if the story is short. Much better than for it to mislead by conjecture.
So if she was on the street it would be ok? But don’t report in the type of bar shot up. You have a lot of interesting rules. I’m guessing you’re not an editor.

It's kind of a lofty theoretical point that chooses to ignore very basic, longstanding contextual stuff.

I just think we can all (including reporters) (and yes, I've now written the WSJ about this very case) do better about keeping that future, lofty goal in sight. In fact, I think that is the only way we get there.

So if she was on the street it would be ok? But don’t report in the type of bar shot up. You have a lot of interesting rules. I’m guessing you’re not an editor.

I don't know. Judgement is certainly in order. What street? Dressed how? Just shoved out of a car? And even all these less-than-ideal measures have their own biases. I wish we had some public department that could investigate and render the facts. Oh wait, we do...

No, I am not an editor.

Says a lot about the eyeballs watching and those who will do anything for a buck. There are $10 prostitutes with more dignity.
Well there are folks addicted to both sides of the equation. She disgusts me. Can't wait to see how she pisses me off next. Modern shock jock.

I just think we can all (including reporters) (and yes, I've now written the WSJ about this very case) do better about keeping that future, lofty goal in sight. In fact, I think that is the only way we get there.
I can appreciate this. But to suggest that a bar is someday only going to be called a bar, well that's just weird. Bars will likely forever be classified, formally and informally, by style, format, clientele, neighborhood, programmatic features, etc. And the gay community will forever be a subset of the larger community. Its level of acceptance in the larger community will likely wax and wane, hopefully always generally towards greater acceptance, of course.

Reactions: BelemNole
You may be coming at this from a noble point of view, but IMO you sound awfully close to those jackasses who say stuff like “If they want to be equal then why do they need Pride Month? “

I don't know. Judgement is certainly in order. What street? Dressed how? Just shoved out of a car? And even all these less-than-ideal measures have their own biases. I wish we had some public department that could investigate and render the facts. Oh wait, we do...

No, I am not an editor.
We can tell

Sorry hauss it's part of the story. Just like if someone shot up an elementary school. You wouldn't say educational facility. Same if it was a college. It's a fact and it helps tell the entire picture.

To shield it from public view only obscure the truth and hides information.

If it walks like a bigot and posts like a bigot it's probably a bigot.

You may be coming at this from a noble point of view, but IMO you sound awfully close to those jackasses who say stuff like “If they want to be equal then why do they need Pride Month? “

As I cited earlier, the difference there is that the LGBTQ community drives Pride Month and the rainbow flag and such.

Whereas a reporter that reports a bar as an LGBTQ bar without apparent relevance is usurping that choice.

Sorry hauss it's part of the story.

Now it is (given perp’s apparent non-binary status).

But are you saying it was “part of the story” before that status was known? That a story about a shooting at an LGBTQ bar should always include the LGBTQ status of the bar? If so, are you saying that the many shootings that happen in (or just outside) bars (e,g. at closing time every Saturday night on Court Avenue in DSM) should always include a description of the predominant sexual orientation of the bar’s clientele? Like, a “straight bar”?

Guy's kid kills 5 people but his biggest worry is that he's gay. Fvck you, Republicans. You craven pieces of shit.
I mean you expect a kid who shoots dozens of innocent people to have a father who’s not a total piece of shit?

Exactly. As far as I know there's no one from LGBTQ advocating his point of view. Or anyone else for that matter.

To him, though, it's everyone else who is wrong. SMFH

It’s going to be a long life sentence, loser.
8dea753e74dd4901a78bf6b4eee48b0e_md.jpg

Exactly. As far as I know there's no one from LGBTQ advocating his point of view. Or anyone else for that matter.

To him, though, it's everyone else who is wrong. SMFH

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”​

- George Bernard Shaw.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT