ADVERTISEMENT

Massachusetts air pollution linked with thousands of deaths, IQ loss in children

Dec 31, 2014

“Air pollution resulting from fossil fuel combustion has been associated with a host of new and worsening illnessesincluding asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, or COPD. Now, new research from Boston College details to what extent air pollution has affected residents in Massachusetts.

Using public data and open-source software, researchers concluded air pollution is responsible for about 2,780 deaths each year in the state. They also found measurable cognitive loss among children exposed to the fine particulate matter.

Gee, you mean to tell me sitting in a traffic jam inhaling the exhaust from the car in front of me going straight from their tailpipe directly into my air intake might be bad for my health?

This is going to be the massive, underappreciated upside of electric cars and renewable grid that doesn't get enough traction. No more smog, air pollution, and the BILLIONS of dollars of medical expenses, early deaths, and reduced productivity that it causes every year. One researcher estimated that the cost savings for medical care and premature deaths would pay for most of the expense of the transition to clean energy by themselves.

This is going to be the massive, underappreciated upside of electric cars and renewable grid that doesn't get enough traction. No more smog, air pollution, and the BILLIONS of dollars of medical expenses, early deaths, and reduced productivity that it causes every year. One researcher estimated that the cost savings for medical care and premature deaths would pay for most of the expense of the transition to clean energy by themselves.
Man, I really hope that would be true.

ADVERTISEMENT