ADVERTISEMENT

Master and Commander - good film or a snoozer

Feb 9, 2013
Apparently someone ripped the film as a sleep aid, and Crowe defended it. I think Crowe made a mistake engaging but also don’t think he “ripped” the critic.

I really liked Master and Commander. I’m fascinated by these sea movies. The Bounty was a good too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...we-defend-master-and-commander-111656626.html
About a decade ago I tried watching it and quit after 15 minutes.

Edit to say I just read @torbee 's post...Damn. It.

Great movie. I wish Hollywood would stop going to the comic book well and return to making more big budget movies and scripts from actual literature. I have been sick of comic book movies for 10 years and they do not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

Btw I use this audio for my sleep aid. Not that it is boring but it has constant narration and steady music. It’s actually very good. The American Revolution War was brutal. But that is for another thread.

There are 20 books in the series. I know many folks, my Dad is one of them, who swear they are the greatest series ever written. Maybe someday it will get the HBO treatment.

A great series, but it’s not In Search of Lost Time. The personal life stuff isn’t compelling and the series trails off and ends abruptly.

It’s truly masterful naval historical fiction. The sailing, warfare, politics, and even admiralty law are all exhaustively researched and correct.

Maturin wasn’t given his full due in the movie.

Last edited:
It doesn’t happen very often, but there are a few movies out there where I’m convinced the world is playing a practical joke on me. I thought this movie was incredibly dull and lots of movie people love it. I don’t get it.

To be fair - there aren’t many movies from this time period I enjoy. I can never get past how uncomfortable life would be for me.

Best portrayal of life aboard a Napoleonic era warship. Very realistic imo

what a weird comment.

“Honey, the kids are in bed. What do you want to watch tonight?”

“I don’t know. Hmm... you know what? I’d love to watch an accurate portrayal of life aboard a napoleonic era warship. But it needs to be realistic, no Hollywood taking liberties crap.”

“Well, I think I know just the thing!”

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I feel like it can both. It is a good flick, but at the same time it’s not a fast paced movie, which not everyone likes.

what a weird comment.

“Honey, the kids are in bed. What do you want to watch tonight?”

“I don’t know. Hmm... you know what? I’d love to watch an accurate portrayal of life aboard a napoleonic era warship. But it needs to be realistic, no Hollywood taking liberties crap.”

“Well, I think I know just the thing!”
I’m kind of a nerd...

Reactions: torbee and ping72
We have all the books too - because my wife read the first one and then all the others!
I am old enough to remember the interview with the author on 60 Minutes, because the books sounded so interesting. I will have to give them another try.

We have all the books too - because my wife read the first one and then all the others!
I am old enough to remember the interview with the author on 60 Minutes, because the books sounded so interesting. I will have to give them another try.

pics of wife in book nerd/hot librarian garb?

Reactions: torbee
Great movie. I wish Hollywood would stop going to the comic book well and return to making more big budget movies and scripts from actual literature. I have been sick of comic book movies for 10 years and they do not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

I don't see any pathway for Hollywood to get back to making movies like they did in the 70s. Most of those great 70s movies can be made into a TV Series.

Reactions: torbee
I should watch it again. Came out when I was in 6th grade or so and I remember liking it but thinking it was a bit slow. I'm curious how my views would change now.

I don't see any pathway for Hollywood to get back to making movies like they did in the 70s. Most of those great 70s movies can be made into a TV Series.

I happened to watch the latest Charlie's Angels reboot with Kristen Stewart and co. I actually thought it was a solid action flick - certainly better than the sequel they made in the 2000s. Disappointed that it didn't do better.

The problem with comparing movies today with movies from the 70s is that times have just completely changed. All war movies were dealing with Vietnam fallout, political thrillers kept getting compared to Watergate, etc.

Alot of the movies made today thru the 90s I feel like the biggest difference is the use of special effects/CGI.

I thought the movie was very well done ... It is a longer movie and some parts can be considered slow moving ... But overall the intensity of the battles at sea and the acting were very good.

ADVERTISEMENT