ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Side Flamethrowers - CHA

Exo

HR MVP
Mar 6, 2013
PNW
SIAP,

What is everyone's opinion on the military grade flamethrowers that cornered the mats? I am mildly shocked we were allowed to do that. There were athletes like 2 feet away from those things. John Smith hated them LOL.

He was gesturing his athletes to stay away from them a few times and was in general pissed about the situation from my POV.

I’m all for it. What did John say?

"That really burns my ass!".

1449727466139461_animate.gif

For most of us diehard wrestling fans, the sport itself creates enough excitement.

However, for the other 95% of the population, anything to add a little bit of excitement to the sport of wrestling is a GOOD THING.
Agreed, I was sitting with a friend that graduated from Iowa and never went to a single dual. She didn't get why I was squirming during the entire Marinelli match but she liked the theatrics, fire and music.

Seems like everyone liked them. I did not. Seemed too much like the cheap tacky crap you see at places like The U where it's all showboat. I'm the oldfashioned traditional type. Just give me the matches.

SIAP,

What is everyone's opinion on the military grade flamethrowers that cornered the mats? I am mildly shocked we were allowed to do that. There were athletes like 2 feet away from those things. John Smith hated them LOL.
Concerned with good reason, flamethrowers in-doors is a bad idea. Nobody hung around too close to the Zippo guys in Viet Nam, and we were outdoors.

Last edited:
They are a part of the spectacle that people who only sort of like wrestling want--- and we need more of those people to grow the sport. Therefore I think they are awesome. We should add laser lights and halftime Taylor Swift concert if needed. BREAD AND CIRCUSES

Seems like everyone liked them. I did not. Seemed too much like the cheap tacky crap you see at places like The U where it's all showboat. I'm the oldfashioned traditional type. Just give me the matches.

Get off my lawn! Hehe.

Nothing wrong with putting on a show and get the crowd revved up. They usually only do it for one or two duals. Here is the video from Flo which was pretty sick...shows OSU breaking the huddle in the locker room to the point they line up:

I think Iowa is on the way to being THE destination for the best wrestlers in the country again. They're doing things right to make the best place in college wrestling f*** again. Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli and big Cass coming don't hurt either. When Brandon takes out Zain it will even will be even better.

Get off my lawn! Hehe.

Nothing wrong with putting on a show and get the crowd revved up. They usually only do it for one or two duals. Here is the video from Flo which was pretty sick...shows OSU breaking the huddle in the locker room to the point they line up:

I'm with Sabula (and Clint)... think of something else to add some excitement and nix the fire.

You ever watch a Clovis vs Buchanan meet? Talk about theatrics, amazing. Lot of funk and offense, with no defense or top game. F*** stuff.

Reactions: Gobblin
I think this was a prime example of getting Carvered. We want teams to say Holy F#ck when the walk out into Carver and face 13000+ screaming wrestling fans! Fire flying, cell phones shining. We want teams to be immediately demoralized and distracted by our home crowds. Nothing like a loud sphincter tightening as they walk out at Carver and then go out and get their rear ends kicked on top of the great environment!!

Go Hawks!!!

Took a buddy of mine there Sunday. It was his first meet. Hes a big basketball fan so frequents carver. Said the music, dimmed lights and fire and intro of the wrestlers was an adrenaline rush. He loved it all the way up to the end of Spencer lees match. Than from 33-41 said he’d never heard carver that quiet ever...needless to say, the excitement dropped drastically for him after 25
Picked up again later tho. He was super excited about Bowman’s match, especially after I pointed out that OK st kid was top recruit and bowman wasn’t in the top 100

I'm with you, dude. If a couple of battering rams with national rankings are going after each other for bragging rights, and one of them is wearing a black singlet with gold trim, that's all I need to get my heart pumping. The pyrotechnics are way too WWE.

Reactions: sabula
I seriously question the safety of use of these devices in an indoor setting w/ 13,000 attending. Granted they are visually interesting but is the value worth the risk? I recall A very serious event involving pyrotechnics in a Rhode Island entertainment building several years ago leaving over 100 dead. There are many other ways to excite a crowd besides using an open flame in an arena. Let the Hawkeye wrestlers provide the spark of excitement. A lot safer.

Reactions: Exo
Ya. I thought it was a little to much. Iowa fans are pretty pumped anyways. Drop the flamethrowers would be my vote. Just thinking safety.

I agree. Have the pep band cue up Birdland, introduce Gable’s Guest and we can discuss it all over some keg beer at the Rodeway Inn after the meet.

Last edited:
Are you guys new to the U of I or something? Those things have to be about as safe as flushing a toilet for the U of I to permit their use.

I'm with you, dude. If a couple of battering rams with national rankings are going after each other for bragging rights, and one of them is wearing a black singlet with gold trim, that's all I need to get my heart pumping. The pyrotechnics are way too WWE.

Things like this aren't done for your benefit or amusement. This type of thinking is a big reason why wrestling has been suffering so much in the past 25+ years.

They do put a lot of heat out. I sit in row 17 behind scorers table and I can feel the heat there. I'm sure they are pretty hot on the floor.

With that said, I don't give a fat rats ass what John Boy has to say about anything.

GO HAWKS!!!

Reactions: EWCEWC60
We are way too serious on this subject and the divide is wide. I know I was hooked on sports as soon as I was old enough to watch my High School Heroes WIN. Watching adults jump around because our team qualified for the state playoffs in whatever sport. I knew right then that I wanted a piece of that pie someday.

I wonder what Johnny Pee Wee wrestler is thinking when they see the Spectacle at Carver? Is it someday I want to be here and be part of this or.....someday I want to grow up and be an OSHA inspector! What are these idiots thinking...fire this close to the crowd? I hope they measured the distance to the crowd and degrees of heat in the building. This is a death trap and someone needs to stop this madness!!!

Hopefully both will be inspired by the fire!!

The pyrotechnics are way too WWE.

there's a reason why the WWE is a multi-billion dollar industry and we are not. Its right in their name.

I'll give you a hint - entertainment.

While we love the sport and will pack ourselves into a shitty, tiny gym in the middle of nowhere to watch two ranked wrestlers clash at 1A districts, the general public does not find this entertaining.

Like it or not, we need to make our sport more of a spectacle. We won't survive on "grit, toughest sport out there, chasing dreams" any longer.

Last edited:
Professional wrestling (WWF) draws a heck of lot more fans than NCAA folkstyle wrestling. To me it's burlesque, pretty damn funny at times, but you can't deny the fan interest. That's Entertainment ! lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT