ADVERTISEMENT

Match ups versus Cyclones

mr12182

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
Know little about the two teams. Is it too early for someone to compare how Hawks match up against the Cyclones at each weight? TIA

I don't think anyone knows who will be guy in either lineup very accurately at this point in the season.

Iowa only has a few unsettled weights and it isn't like the ISU guys currently out are all world. 133 is a tossup, ISU is favored at 141 and that's about it.

Reactions: HIWILLE

Looks like it's a little early for Wrestlestat.

If Stickley and Glynn/Laux lose like that, I'll eat my hat. ISU has nothing at 125. Iowa by MD there. Iowa might lose 133 but I don't see any worse than a decision. Thomas Thorn didn't even beat Glynn that badly last season.

I also don't see Stoll scoring 14 points. I think he wins something like 5-2 over Harrington, who looked solid yesterday.

If Stickley and Glynn/Laux lose like that, I'll eat my hat. ISU has nothing at 125. Iowa by MD there. Iowa might lose 133 but I don't see any worse than a decision. Thomas Thorn didn't even beat Glynn that badly last season.

I also don't see Stoll scoring 14 points. I think he wins something like 5-2 over Harrington, who looked solid yesterday.
Ok, as of tomorrow, it won't be too early. ;) ;)

Solid chance that Stoll overpowers Harrington.

ISU’s 125 pounder was on their club team last year. They wish they had Perez2.

Fair point but I don't see Stoll scoring 14 without a fall occurring before. If it's an issue of Stoll overpowering him then it'll be Harrington counting lights. I think Harrington has a fairly high ceiling with his athleticism. I could see him cracking the top 15.

Should be an easy win for the Hawks. As others have stated I imagine 141 is the only weight I would pick for ISU for sure. Iowa is weak at all three light weights this year (been a long time since we could say that..) so i wouldn't be surprised to see ISU pull off wins at all 3, though I doubt it happens.

Should be an easy win for the Hawks. As others have stated I imagine 141 is the only weight I would pick for ISU for sure. Iowa is weak at all three light weights this year (been a long time since we could say that..) so i wouldn't be surprised to see ISU pull off wins at all 3, though I doubt it happens.
141 is far from a lock for isu. Storr may be favored but I think Turk definitely has the ability to beat him

Oh God. Storr is a nice prospect but let's stop pretending he's a world beater. He's had some close contests with top ranked guys but he's also lost to Gasca and Prince last year. He's likely a round of 12 guy this year. If Turk can't compete with him then we're in big trouble.

As if Gasca and Prince are not R12 types themselves? Also, these losses occured with Storr being a redshirting freshman. Hell, even Metcalf had losses as a freshman. With that said, I think Turk can definitely be competitive with him, but Storr deserves to be considered a solid favorite. Wrestling 29 matches as a RS and seeing competition like Jack, Ashnault, Thorn, Prince, Gasca, McCrystal, Pletcher and Synon can only be viewed as a positive.

So far, Storr passes the eye test and if Turk does in fact beat him, the search for a 141lber should be considered over!

As if Gasca and Prince are not R12 types themselves? Also, these losses occured with Storr being a redshirting freshman. Hell, even Metcalf had losses as a freshman. With that said, I think Turk can definitely be competitive with him, but Storr deserves to be considered a solid favorite. Wrestling 29 matches as a RS and seeing competition like Jack, Ashnault, Thorn, Prince, Gasca, McCrystal, Pletcher and Synon can only be viewed as a positive.

So far, Storr passes the eye test and if Turk does in fact beat him, the search for a 141lber should be considered over!

I never said Prince and Gasca aren't top 12 guys. Prince was a freshman last year so it's not like he was a veteran powerhouse. I'm not saying Store isn't a good wrestler. He's likely to be a multi year AA but this year he's likely not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe BM only lost to Ty Eustice his redshirt season.

Well I’d hope it’s over by mid February regardless.

Weak is more than a little overboard. Then again, you wouldn’t be be surprised if the 125 off the ISU club team from last year beats Stickley...

I never said Prince and Gasca aren't top 12 guys. Prince was a freshman last year so it's not like he was a veteran powerhouse. I'm not saying Store isn't a good wrestler. He's likely to be a multi year AA but this year he's likely not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe BM only lost to Ty Eustice his redshirt season.

I believe he actually had 3 losses. He had a DQ(I believe he was losing at the time) and I can't remember the other guys name but he lost something like 6-4 to a Cornell guy I believe.

I was more referring to long-term. If Turk can beat Storr, I think he will be a true AA candidate for the next couple of seasons and would put the need to recruit 141 to rest.

Reactions: artradley

Weak is more than a little overboard. Then again, you wouldn’t be be surprised if the 125 off the ISU club team from last year beats Stickley...

I don't think it's an overboard statement, especially considering Iowa's dominance at the light weights for so many years. None of those three is going to AA for the Hawks this year, I'd put money on it. Turk may keep it close to Storr, but watching the two I don't think they're in the same league. 141 could use a few more tough AA caliber guys though (not enough already) so a Turk win certainly wouldn't upset me ^^

I don't think it's an overboard statement, especially considering Iowa's dominance at the light weights for so many years. None of those three is going to AA for the Hawks this year, I'd put money on it. Turk may keep it close to Storr, but watching the two I don't think they're in the same league. 141 could use a few more tough AA caliber guys though (not enough already) so a Turk win certainly wouldn't upset me ^^

I can certainly consider that "weak" but at the same time we will have 2-3 national qualifiers in the first 3 weights. But you also said you wouldn't be surprised if ISU's 125 pounder, who wrestled for their club team last year, beat Stickley. Not happening in a million years.

That kid probably won’t be their starter going forward. Marmolejo was suspended for violating team rules. Unless he gets the boot or leaves on his own merit I expect him to be their guy at 125

That kid probably won’t be their starter going forward. Marmolejo was suspended for violating team rules. Unless he gets the boot or leaves on his own merit I expect him to be their guy at 125

A Cyclone buddy of mine told me he's on the way out the door. That guy might be wrong. At any rate, he's not beating Stickley, either, but it will be closer.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Between bad attitudes, suspensions for rumored failed drug tests, and injuries. ..they might be having intra mural tryouts by the end of the month.
What a cluster#&*☆ in Cloneville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT