ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell vs. Paul Rhoads

And Paul Rhodes to could jam

rhoadsrockinfinal_medium.gif

Chizek won 5 games in 2 years and got Auburn. If you win anything at Ames you pick your spot. Campbell is not a good coach but is young. Jesus today was a nightmare if Iam ISU fan. How Campbell cannot get a team motivated plus another crazy bad OL which is his specialty. They lost by 17 at home to a Sun Belt team. And Purdy flat sucks. Weiney arm at best.

Chizek won 5 games in 2 years and got Auburn. If you win anything at Ames you pick your spot. Campbell is not a good coach but is young. Jesus today was a nightmare if Iam ISU fan. How Campbell cannot get a team motivated plus another crazy bad OL which is his specialty. They lost by 17 at home to a Sun Belt team. And Purdy flat sucks. Weiney arm at best.
Like PR he did a good job upgrading the talent and attitude.
Today they looked flat, weak, small and slow.

Saw a tweet earlier that a Cyclone fan said Campbell's record is exact same or similar as Ferentz's.

That may be true (I don't know) but I know the direction both programs were going at this stage are far from different.

I knew they'd jump to that. Unfortunately for them, Ferentz in his 5th and 6th seasons finished 8th in the AP poll twice, won a share of the B1G championship and won two prestigious bowl games. Good luck, Matt.

Saw a tweet earlier that a Cyclone fan said Campbell's record is exact same or similar as Ferentz's.

That may be true (I don't know) but I know the direction both programs were going at this stage are far from different.

Which is a gross misrepresentation of two completely different situations. Kirk Ferentz started 1-10, 3-9, and 7-5 before winning a conference title. Suffice it to say KF's program did not peak in years two and three of his tenure, which, given what we've seen of the product on the field and recent recruiting, it seems Iowa State has under Matt Campbell.

The bottom line is Iowa State is a coaching graveyard when it comes to football.

Through 52 games at ISU:

Campbell 26-26

Rhoads 24-28.

That's what I call progress! Storm a brewin'!!!!

Say what you want chizik is the smartest ex clone coach because he was the only one smart enough to leave when he did. These 2 should’ve known better after McCarney who turned down jobs lie Michigan st to stay and fizzle out at isu. Rhoads was a hot commodity after okie st upset and for his credit got a 10 yr $20 million + extension only to accomplish nothing after. Campbell keeps holding off on other jobs getting extensions but question is has he peaked after his success when big 12 was at a low point doesn’t bode well. Plus his 20’ and 21’ recruiting classes don’t bring in much hope and excitement. He better pray purdy doesn’t leave after this year.

A PR team definitely concerned me more than MC team. The B12 was better then when Baylor, TCU, Texas, and to some degree, TT were pretty good. This version of the B12 is Oklahoma and not much else.

Pretty lucky for the Hawks that they didn't have to play State. We might as well put Drake in place of them:mad:

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Iowa State coaches never learn. You get out of there at your first chance. Even if it's a lateral move with higher upside. If you don't the early success will go away and you will find yourself in lifetime Assistant coach territory.

Chezik knew that so when Auburn gave him a life raft he jumped on. For the life of me don't know why Auburn did that. They could of found a much better coach to cheat there way to a national title then him with Cam Newton.

I enjoyed that double-digit loss to a Sun Belt team as much as the next guy, but I will say after week 1 is the most over-reactionary period in CFB.

This clearly isn't "the most talented ISU team ever" as their fans claimed, but I'm not writing them off as complete ass....yet.

Last edited:
Campbell should have bolted after his first good year (yes good year at ISU is different than for us).... his stick was sky high. Not sure why he choose to stay loyal.

I enjoyed that double-digit loss to a Sun Belt team as much as the next guy, but I will say after week 1 is the most over-reactionary period in CFB.

This clearly isn't "the most talented ISU team ever" as their fans claimed, but I not writing them off as complete ass....yet.

You’re right. After watching the Big 12 yesterday, I can still see Iowa State winning some football games this year. They’re lucky they don’t play in the Sun Belt.

This clearly isn't "the most talented ISU team ever" as their fans claimed, but I not writing them off as complete ass....yet.
Plus this season is going to be really weird, with no fans , etc. And that was not a bad team that lost to

but I do agree you can not consistently be anything other than mediocre at ISU. Maybe MC will realize this and move on. Maybe he likes the stability of realistic expectations in Ames vs what he might have at a higher end job

Campbell and Purdy are greatly aided (and hurt) by ISU’s greatest department. It’s marketing department....

But Ferenz's first winning season was third year and only got better from there on

Couple of buddies are HS coaches, they went to coach clinics where Rhoads spoke when he was at ISU and clinics where Campbell spoke since he's been at ISU. Iowa's coaches were at them as well. They said Campbell was pretty much a joke, just slung a bunch of his "win in the margins" cliches around without ever saying anything relevant. They said Rhoads didn't have great knowledge of the game but was genuine and clearly could motivate his guys to run through a brick wall for him. Iowa's coaches were far better than both when it came to Xs and Os of the game.

Reactions: iamia
Gonzo - I think that is why Matty is struggling to recruit especially in Iowa. He comes across as totally fake with coach speak and slogans and nothing with merit.

Reactions: iamia
Gonzo - I think that is why Matty is struggling to recruit especially in Iowa. He comes across as totally fake with coach speak and slogans and nothing with merit.

After their "historic" back to back 8 win seasons in 17' and 18' heard a lot of chatter on how Campbell was going to be a lot bigger threat for in state recruits. If anything Iowa has dominated even more getting in state guys the past 2-3 years. Their OL Downing is one of few they got with an Iowa offer. Look at the class this year Iowa landed 8 of the 10 kids we offered and all the ISU commits didn't have an Iowa offer including 2 OL that tells you something with majority of the Iowa recruits having an ISU offer minus Harrell and DeJean. Just to throw salt in the open wound Iowa is still getting more out of state kids who have an offer from both schools but to be fair ISU is almost like Nebraska and offers any kid with a pulse these days. Overall especially this year Matty hasn't been setting the world on fire on the recruiting front.

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Couple of buddies are HS coaches, they went to coach clinics where Rhoads spoke when he was at ISU and clinics where Campbell spoke since he's been at ISU. Iowa's coaches were at them as well. They said Campbell was pretty much a joke, just slung a bunch of his "win in the margins" cliches around without ever saying anything relevant. They said Rhoads didn't have great knowledge of the game but was genuine and clearly could motivate his guys to run through a brick wall for him. Iowa's coaches were far better than both when it came to Xs and Os of the game.

I get what Campbell is saying, when you aren't a school getting 4 and 5 star recruits, your margin for error is 0. You have to execute damn near flawlessly, meaning no missed tackles, no turnovers, good to great kicking game, etc. I don't fault him for saying what he said as that is what he meant. It is the same in the past when Ferentz mentions "execution". I think Tony Dungy always put it as doing the ordinary things extraordinarily. Footwork, route running, etc.

That and do you want to play in the Big Ten or the Big 12?

ADVERTISEMENT