ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell vs. Paul Rhoads

Some of Campbell's best players in the first few years were Rhoads players which I think is funny because their fans are always bragging on his recruiting. But he couldn't have won many games without guys like Lazard and Butler. In addition, he was supposed to some OL guru (at least that what the local media keeps selling) but their OL has been bad to at best average every year he has been there.

Purdy is overrated. He put up big numbers his first couple years with great college receivers and mostly easy passes and jump balls to guys like Lazard and Butler and also against a lot of bad defenses.

And the Big 12 was way, way better when Rhoads was coaching. OKie was OKie, but Texas, Baylor, TCU, Okie St all took turns in the top 5 fairly often, K-St was good and even Texas Tech was decent. That is light years better than where they are at now.

Campbell is a good coach, but I think we're seeing he's not a great coach. He is just about always going to lose out on the state's top recruits to the Hawks. I think his plateau at ISU is going to be around .500 for the most part.

Ames is a tough place to recruit to. They needed to get their O line fixed and that obviously has not happened. That's on him.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
A PR team definitely concerned me more than MC team. The B12 was better then when Baylor, TCU, Texas, and to some degree, TT were pretty good. This version of the B12 is Oklahoma and not much else.
I will say OSU should be pretty good this year.

Ames is a tough place to recruit to. They needed to get their O line fixed and that obviously has not happened. That's on him.
Their best OL is Downing and the only reason he chose ISU over Iowa is because of their ag program. Dumb move on his part.

They want to compare Ferentz to Campbell, well Campbell is 7 - 7 in his last 14 games. What was Ferentz in that stretch of his 4th and 5th year? I guarantee it was not 7 - 7.

Couple of buddies are HS coaches, they went to coach clinics where Rhoads spoke when he was at ISU and clinics where Campbell spoke since he's been at ISU. Iowa's coaches were at them as well. They said Campbell was pretty much a joke, just slung a bunch of his "win in the margins" cliches around without ever saying anything relevant. They said Rhoads didn't have great knowledge of the game but was genuine and clearly could motivate his guys to run through a brick wall for him. Iowa's coaches were far better than both when it came to Xs and Os of the game.

Rhoads, that dumbass, managed to win 3 games against Iowa. Come on man

Reactions: David1979
Campbell is a good coach, but I think we're seeing he's not a great coach. He is just about always going to lose out on the state's top recruits to the Hawks. I think his plateau at ISU is going to be around .500 for the most part.

Campbell is learning that Iowa State is still Iowa State with or without him and getting beyond 8 win season is going to be very difficult to pull off let alone doing it consistently. Dopey clown fans will never admit it though.

Last edited:
Campbell had has 3 seasons over .500 in four years.
Rhoads had one in seven years. 7-6 first year.
Campbell has finished over .500 3x in conference play.
Rhoads never did.

NI - I am not saying MC isn’t the better coach. Only that the Big 12 was way better when Rhoads was at ISU so tough to compare just records. I mean the amount of good teams with Okie, Baylor, Texas, TCU, Okie St, K-St and even Tech was far superior to what the conference is now. Hell they only had 3 ranked teams last year with Texas at 25 based on name if I recall. When Rhoads was at ISU, Okie and Texas were mainly always good plus Baylor, TCU and Okie St were all in like the top 5 multiple times.

Saw a tweet earlier that a Cyclone fan said Campbell's record is exact same or similar as Ferentz's.

That may be true (I don't know) but I know the direction both programs were going at this stage are far from different.

How those first 52 games at ISU and Iowa look for Campbell and KF respectively:

Campbell: L, L, L, W, L, L, L, L, L, W, W, L, W, L, W, L, W, W, W, W, L, L, W, L, W, L, L, W, L, W, W, W, W, W, L, W, W, L, W, L, W, L, W, W, W, L, L, W, W, L, L, L

Ferentz: L, L, W, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, W, L, L, L, W, W, L, W, W, W, L, L, W, L, L, W, W, L, W, W, W, L, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, L, W, W, W, W

How those first 52 games at ISU and Iowa look for Campbell and KF respectively:

Campbell: L, L, L, W, L, L, L, L, L, W, W, L, W, L, W, L, W, W, W, W, L, L, W, L, W, L, L, W, L, W, W, W, W, W, L, W, W, L, W, L, W, L, W, W, W, L, L, W, W, L, L, L

Ferentz: L, L, W, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, W, L, L, L, W, W, L, W, W, W, L, L, W, L, L, W, W, L, W, W, W, L, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, L, W, W, W, W

That's surprisingly interesting.

Two things I've noticed since Saturday from Clone fans...

1. "Well, Matty isn't losing 71-7 like Rhodes did".

2. "Since ISU isn't in a hotbed of recruiting, Campball needs to get the top kids that are available in State". "Based on history, Matty is failing there too".

Pollard giving Matty that extension thru 2025 looks like a giant blunder. I suspect Pollard is updating his resume' for another P5 program as we speak.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

2. "Since ISU isn't in a hotbed of recruiting, Campball needs to get the top kids that are available in State". "Based on history, Matty is failing there too".

Pollard giving Matty that extension thru 2025 looks like a giant blunder. I suspect Pollard is updating his resume' for another P5 program as we speak.

he has trouble getting the kids ready for September.

I know it gets over shadowed because of KF contract extensions but people sometimes forget of the blunder Pollard pulled with Rhoads. Giving him a 10 year $20+ million contract after they upset Oklahoma St which ended up with a Nebraska like buy out when they fired him.

ISU fans love it when you remind them Nate Stanley went undefeated against them.

Clown fans hate it when you say Stanley won more genes as a starter than any 3 year stretch in isu history. CyTwins loves to say the only reason was SOS and talks about isu having the #5 SOS on Sagarin. The thing with Sagarin though is they have a predictor value for each team and according to that isu would have gone 7-6 last year playing Iowa’s schedule and Iowa would have gone 10-3 playing isu’s schedule.

YIKES.

Watched Iowa State a lot last year and Saturday. I think Campbell is a decent coach but a bit overrated. Campbell wants to control the ball and let the defense win. Which is why they can stay in games and beat good teams once in a while. They’re a worse version of Iowa. Saturday the special teams was was atrocious so that strategy killed them. Bottom line: Campbell has very similar results as Rhoads but the conference isn’t as good and he cannot beat Iowa. Pollard is one hell of a salesman though and the Des Moines media loves to drink the koolaide

A PR team definitely concerned me more than MC team. The B12 was better then when Baylor, TCU, Texas, and to some degree, TT were pretty good. This version of the B12 is Oklahoma and not much else.

This. From 2010 - 2014, the Big 12 was clearly the second best conference in the nation behind the SEC. Coupled with the round robin schedule, and ISU had some of the nation's toughest schedules during the Paul Rhoads era.

I believe that Campbell is a good coach, but his recruiting is terrible. It has been very surprising to me that he is not landing any of the top Iowa kids. What is Kirk's record against him head-to-head in the last few recruiting cycles?

Watched Iowa State a lot last year and Saturday. I think Campbell is a decent coach but a bit overrated. Campbell wants to control the ball and let the defense win. Which is why they can stay in games and beat good teams once in a while. They’re a worse version of Iowa. Saturday the special teams was was atrocious so that strategy killed them. Bottom line: Campbell has very similar results as Rhoads but the conference isn’t as good and he cannot beat Iowa. Pollard is one hell of a salesman though and the Des Moines media loves to drink the koolaide

Yours and post above make a lot of solid points I agree with. I think Campbell is better than Rhoads but maybe a little over hyped. I think Campbell's D coordinator is very good and as you've said kept games close they've pulled off. Another thing MC has going from him is QB play has been lot more consistent compared to Rhoads who seemed like he never had one start the year and finish it. And as other post has said Big 12 being down has been a big benefactor for Campbell. End of Rhoads tenure Baylor was rolling under Briles, TCU had some big years and OSU was having its peak years under Gundy. All have been down of late but OSU should be very good this year.

One thing I see in common and interesting to see how it plays out is both early in their tenures had that one big upset a year. Rhoads beat Nebraska his first year when they turned it over 8x, followed it up with wins vs ranked TCU & Texas following year and then pinnacle with the OSU upset. But after 11' he seemed to be lacking for that signature big win and things spiraled downward after receiving his massive 10 year deal. Campbell got his huge upset of OU followed up with TCU in his 2nd year. 3rd year beat WVU when they were top 10. But he didn't have any last year. Some opportunities this year but when you lose to Sun Belt teams prior takes some of the luster off of them.

Reactions: Fran_Man
This. From 2010 - 2014, the Big 12 was clearly the second best conference in the nation behind the SEC. Coupled with the round robin schedule, and ISU had some of the nation's toughest schedules during the Paul Rhoads era.

I believe that Campbell is a good coach, but his recruiting is terrible. It has been very surprising to me that he is not landing any of the top Iowa kids. What is Kirk's record against him head-to-head in the last few recruiting cycles?

Since Campbell has been in Ames, the only instate kids that he has landed that Iowa also offered:

Zach Petersen
Trevor Downing

Here are the instate kids that KF has landed that ISU also offered in the same time period:

Josh Volk
Logan Jones
Gavin Williams
Jack Campbell
Tyler Endres
Ezra Miller
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs
Coy Kirkpatrick
Jacob Coons

Hopefully in December, you can add these names to the list:

Brody Brecht
Arland Bruce
Connor Colby
Griffin Liddle
Jeff Bowie
Zach Twedt
Max Llewellyn

It isn't a giant blunder. You can't do much better than he has done at ISU.

It isn't a giant blunder. You can't do much better than he has done at ISU.
The blunder is the contract for a guy that has never won more than eight games. At least I don't think he's won nine yet.

Looking back at the history of Cyclone football... Matty's trajectory was predictable. Have a signature win, here and there, then be pretty average.

Last edited:
Triangle - that recruiting disparity is absolutely startling. And they got Downing specifically because ISU offers a major Iowa does not. He even said he chose ISU for that reason. Regardless, that is just shocking.

You sure about that? Campball won early with Rhoad's players. Matt's been there five years and I'm not seeing many NFL caliber players.
I would say he does recruit slightly better. Specifically on the defensive side of the ball. He also recruited Purdy and Montgomery, their best players at those positions in some time and Kolar as well. But I think last year and this year his recruiting has started dropping off to Rhoads level.

Reactions: MitchLL
I think MC is recruiting marginally better but man when you look at what Triangle posted that is really bad for ISU. And this year is unbelievably bad for ISU. The top 10 in staters who are all going D1 P5, ISU got zero and Iowa got 8. And everybody knows who ISU did get if Iowa offered they would flip. Hell they are losing recruits to not only Northern Arizona but Bucknell, Hofstra and Georgetown. And this isn’t basketball. So maybe better than PR I guess but not exactly tearing it up. PJ Fleck (douche) is so much better not only on the field coaching and motivating but also recruiting.

Reactions: David1979
Campball has set himself up, financially, for a good period of time. When you have that security, you can get complacent. He's also shown to be unwilling to part ways with some assts that might be good friends, but below average coaches. Manning has sure seen the wrath of fans, and the refusal to address hiring a coach to specifically work with the special teams is confusing.

ISU needs to accept the fact that "good" for Clone Nation is "below average" for most P5 programs.

Campball has set himself up, financially, for a good period of time. When you have that security, you can get complacent. He's also shown to be unwilling to part ways with some assts that might be good friends, but below average coaches. Manning has sure seen the wrath of fans, and the refusal to address hiring a coach to specifically work with the special teams is confusing.

ISU needs to accept the fact that "good" for Clone Nation is "below average" for most P5 programs.

The offense will improve once they start playing conference games. For some reason, they really start to click when Big 12 play starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT