ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Eberflus new Bears HC

Matt Eberflus will be the 17th head coach of the Chicago Bears, according to league sources.

In his first move as Bears general manager, Ryan Poles on Thursday hired Eberflus from a group of finalists that included Dan Quinn and Jim Caldwell. Eberflus, 51, was the Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator the last four seasons.

ADVERTISING

He replaces Matt Nagy, who along with GM Ryan Pace was fired Jan. 10 after a 6-11 finish in 2021 and 34-31 record in four seasons in his first stint as an NFL head coach.

Eberflus first interviewed with the Bears on Jan. 17 and had a second interview with Poles on Wednesday. He was one of at least 10 candidates who interviewed for the coaching vacancy.

Eberflus finished third in 2018 in the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year voting. This season, Eberflus oversaw a Colts defense that led the AFC in takeaways (33) while finishing in the top 10 in the league in points allowed (21.5 ppg).

‘Relentless.’ ‘A terrific teacher.’ The ‘it factor.’ Those who have coached with and played for Chicago Bears coaching candidate Matt Eberflus rave about his potential. »

Before his tenure with the Colts, Eberflus spent six years coaching linebackers for the Dallas Cowboys after a two-year stint in the same role with the Cleveland Browns. He also has 17 years of college coaching experience on his resume at Toledo (1992-2000) and Missouri (2001-08).

Players laud Eberflus for his communication skills and leadership style. He is known as a detail-oriented coach with a knack for connecting with players and fellow coaches. Eberflus has earned a reputation for being able to blend his strategic insight with the personnel he has to work with, loading his defense with only as much as players can handle.

The Bears hired Poles on Tuesday after an extensive search that included at least 12 other GM candidates. Poles, 36, was the Kansas City Chiefs executive director of player personnel and spent 13 years with the organization.

Reactions: win4jj and LuteHawk
CloseCostlyCrab-size_restricted.gif

Going defensive coach in an era of offense when your offense already sucks more than OP's mom.

Bold move Cotton.
If he makes a good OC hire that objection is moot. McDermott at Buffalo is a former DC coordinator, made good hires on offense. Same with Quinn initially at Atlanta. At least we won’t have any questions about who is actually calling the plays.

Reactions: Bro D
Well as a Bears fan….yuck.

hopefully I’m wrong, but my expectations are not high. I do like the Poles hire though, so glad he did his own thing I guess.

I like it. very interested in who he brings in for the OC. The back and forth with Nagy and Lazor bothered me.

Reactions: win4jj
So if they hire an awesome OC and turns the offense around where does that leave them when the OC leaves to become an HC?

the league is offense, you can always pick up a good DC via the stupid teams that keep trying DC’s as the HC and fire their ass. See Dan Quinn.
First sentence is a good problem.

Nagy was an offensive "guru". You need an adult who can manage and run a team. I don't know if Eberflus is that guy, but assigning an "offensive" or "defensive" term to a guy to coach a team doesn't make sense to me. imo

FWIW, Daboll started on defensive side of ball

So if they hire an awesome OC and turns the offense around where does that leave them when the OC leaves to become an HC?

the league is offense, you can always pick up a good DC via the stupid teams that keep trying DC’s as the HC and fire their ass. See Dan Quinn.
That would be a good problem to have with the OC. I actually kind of hope Desai gets brought back. Did a decent job in his first year despite all the injuries on defense

Reactions: Tom Paris
Curious what you know about Eberflus to say yuck?
He’s just not an exciting hire. The colts have been solid on defense, but not championship level….and we have an awful offense, but a potential franchise QB and we go out and hire this guy?

He’s just not an exciting hire. The colts have been solid on defense, but not championship level….and we have an awful offense, but a potential franchise QB and we go out and hire this guy?
Have read this guy is well-liked. The key part is hiring right guys for offense. Nagy never managed that.

I'm not sure how it works but I think its probably a compensatory pick and not a Bears draft pick

I was being sarcastic that the Bears again passed over more qualified coaches that filled a larger need for someone no one else really wanted. I can only assume they overpaid, and giving out draft picks like candy is pretty much their style.

Reactions: Bro D
Eberflus runs a 4-3, right? Bears are going to be switching from a 3-4. How will that affect the lineup? Is Mack a 4-3 DE? Is Roquan in the middle or WILL? Do we have enough D-linemen?

as a bears fan this certainly doesn't get me fired up

I like the fact he sounds like a solid young leader and I'm hopeful he's willing to change, unlike Nagy

I'm keeping an open mind but it was the big name I was hoping for

ADVERTISEMENT