ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Eberflus new Bears HC

Hopefully this is a good move.

The HC is the leader, face of the team, makes the big hard decision, hopefully has a lot of input into personnel decisions. The HC coaches the coaches.

The coordinators and their staffs do the design stuff, the bulk of the game planning and coach the players.

So, it doesn't mean much to be that this guy was a DC. Let's see the staff he builds.

Reactions: win4jj
Kind of blah so will probably work great. It's not like the division won't be winnable for the next 5 years. Double dork hopefully leaves and green bay aside from hall of fame qbs is just ultra pedestrian, Minnesota is a never was in the NFL, and then there's Detroit.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Kind of blah so will probably work great. It's not like the division won't be winnable for the next 5 years. Double dork hopefully leaves and green bay aside from hall of fame qbs is just ultra pedestrian, Minnesota is a never was in the NFL, and then there's Detroit.

poles has the tougher job in the short term. Lots of holes in the roster and not a ton of draft picks to work with this year.

I doubt any of the division rivals are too concerned with this hire.
Who cares? Aside from whether or not Eberflus knows what he’s doing himself, this hire on its own means nothing unless it is combined with a good staff and the right personnel moves.

matt LaFleur didn’t have people shaking in his boots when hired either.

I doubt any of the division rivals are too concerned with this hire.
Vikings fan here, and I like the hire for the Bears. Definitely would want a hire like this over some old retread like Dan Quinn if I was them.

Bears might actually be somewhat competent in the future with him and Poles, has me worried a little bit.

Have been listening to the radio today and an Indy beat writer was giving glowing reviews about his leadership. Hope it works out! God knows we're due

I was confused as a Colts fan as to how Nick Sirianni got a head coaching job before Matt Eberflus.

And I mean that as no disrespect to Sirianni. In fact I think losing him hurt a bit this year. But Eberflus was clearly the better of the two coordinators.

Can't say how he will do as a HC. So much of that depends on getting the right staff and even more depends on if your GM can get you good players.

If he makes a good OC hire that objection is moot. McDermott at Buffalo is a former DC coordinator, made good hires on offense. Same with Quinn initially at Atlanta. At least we won’t have any questions about who is actually calling the plays.
This is a really good point. If you can get an elite offensive head coach, awesome, but there aren’t many of those guys around. Worst case scenario is an offensive-based HC that meddles and limits the bounds for his OC.

Reactions: sober_teacher
That would be a good problem to have with the OC. I actually kind of hope Desai gets brought back. Did a decent job in his first year despite all the injuries on defense
No. The defense blew at least two games in the final minute in 2021. Often undisciplined and prone to stupid penalties as well.

Reactions: Aleister_Crowley
I dont know who that is.
He and his mom, and OP's mom:
Cliff_Clavin_in_Jeopardy.png

Reactions: DooBii
No. The defense blew at least two games in the final minute in 2021. Often undisciplined and prone to stupid penalties as well.
I won’t be heartbroken if Desai is gone. Would add that considering the anemic offense, the defensive stats I think were pretty good all things considered. Health impacted a lot, and as far as the penalties…that’s the sort of thing I tend to put in Nagy over him, simply because we saw the same stupid penalties for four years and 3 different DCs, so I’m not sure how much to put on him specifically.

i dont expect him to be back in the same role, but hopefully Eberflus instills a more disciplined and accountable locker room mentality overall.

Reactions: Bro D
I won’t be heartbroken if Desai is gone. Would add that considering the anemic offense, the defensive stats I think were pretty good all things considered. Health impacted a lot, and as far as the penalties…that’s the sort of thing I tend to put in Nagy over him, simply because we saw the same stupid penalties for four years and 3 different DCs, so I’m not sure how much to put on him specifically.

i dont expect him to be back in the same role, but hopefully Eberflus instills a more disciplined and accountable locker room mentality overall.
Good points.

Good points.
Other question will be if Eberflus returns to the 4-3 which he ran in Indy or if he chooses to be flexible. Not sure it matters a ton with seemingly most every defense relying more on various sub packages than a true base defense.

You think Matt LaFleur is a good coach?
Of course he is. Just saying that when he was initially hired, it wasn’t considered the home run hire. I give him full credit in making it work so far with Aaron, despite all the off-field migraines he’s no doubt supplied him with.

I know you’re kidding, but honestly if they’re smart should be trying to trade back and acquire picks. Only 5 this year.
I’m not sure they have much capital to garner too many more picks of value. I guess they could trade their 2nd Rd pick for a late 2nd and maybe pick up a 3rd or 4th.

Knowing my bears they will trade Roquan to move up into the 1st and take a linebacker….

If they got a couple firsts I wouldn’t completely hate that idea.
No way man. Roquan is an absolute monster and is going to kill it with Eberflus. Hope he's here his entire career

Definitely wouldn't surprise me to see Hicks, Mack, Trevathan, Goldman, Quinn, etc. go elsewhere. Will be an interesting offseason for sure. Roster is a mess and cap space is minimal. Could be worse though.. we could be in Green Bay's position.

No way man. Roquan is an absolute monster and is going to kill it with Eberflus. Hope he's here his entire career

Definitely wouldn't surprise me to see Hicks, Mack, Trevathan, Goldman, Quinn, etc. go elsewhere. Will be an interesting offseason for sure. Roster is a mess and cap space is minimal. Could be worse though.. we could be in Green Bay's position.

I'd be on board with cutting ties with older players, acquiring draft picks, and getting the team in a better cap situation. Even if that means tanking next year as Fields is developing.

If Eberflus insists on going with the 4-3, might be time to trade Mack for some draft picks? I know nothing about his contract or the Bears’ cap situation.

Yeah I love Roquan and definitely want to keep him. Mack and Quinn are likely sticking around because it would be a huge cap hit with their contracts.

Reactions: Bro D
If Eberflus insists on going with the 4-3, might be time to trade Mack for some draft picks? I know nothing about his contract or the Bears’ cap situation.
Yeah, loved him but they should have moved Mack last year. There is no place on this team in this situation for aging stars.

Pretty sure he played in a 4-3 in Oakland (could be wrong)

Just found this.. its pretty good. Looks like there could be a lot of work to do but should be intereting

ADVERTISEMENT