ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Gaetz Turns on Marjorie Taylor Greene Over McCarthy Endorsement

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz has turned on Marjorie Taylor Greene after she backed Republican leader Kevin McCarthy for House speaker.

With Republicans close to gaining control of the House, McCarthy has been maneuvering to shore up support to take Democrat Nancy Pelosi's job. He can do so if he manages to secure the 218 votes needed in an upcoming leadership vote, but he may be facing challenges following the GOP's disappointing performance in last week's midterm elections.

Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, announced on Monday that he will challenge McCarthy for speaker.

But Greene on Monday broke with her allies in the caucus and endorsed McCarthy.

Gaetz, a close ally of Greene's, has hit back, suggesting her support of McCarthy would backfire.

"Whatever Kevin has promised Marjorie Taylor Greene, I guarantee you this at the first opportunity, he will zap her faster than you can say Jewish space laser," he said on FrankSpeech.com, referring to a conspiracy theory the congresswoman has promoted and been criticized for.

Gaetz continued: "I wish that wasn't the case, but it is the conduct, and it is the pattern and practice of Kevin McCarthy over years that showcase this." McCarthy has said that Greene would be allowed back on committees if Republicans win back the House.

In an interview on The Charlie Kirk Show, Gaetz also dismissed the notion that McCarthy had a chance of becoming speaker.

"Right now, there are a lot of the establishment Republicans in denial, believing that Kevin McCarthy can somehow still become speaker," he said.

"What I'm here to tell you is there are definitely at least five people, actually a lot more than that, who would rather be waterboarded by Liz Cheney, than vote for Kevin McCarthy for Speaker of the House, and I'm one of them and so then you can kind of dispense with that."

Gaetz said that he believes there is "a real desire to have fresh faces, new leadership, new ideas, and to turn a new page so that we can get to the important work that we promised the American people we could get to."

Greene, during an appearance on Steve Bannon's podcast on Monday, urged Republicans to unite behind McCarthy or risk the speakership going to Cheney.

"There is no way in hell I'm going to vote to hand that gavel to Liz Cheney or anyone else Nancy Pelosi wants," she said.

In the same conversation, Greene also said she isn't afraid of a GOP civil war.

"We're going to fight it out. I'm telling you, I've always said I'm not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it," she said.

Spokespeople for Gaetz and Greene have been contacted for further comment.

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz has turned on Marjorie Taylor Greene after she backed Republican leader Kevin McCarthy for House speaker.

With Republicans close to gaining control of the House, McCarthy has been maneuvering to shore up support to take Democrat Nancy Pelosi's job. He can do so if he manages to secure the 218 votes needed in an upcoming leadership vote, but he may be facing challenges following the GOP's disappointing performance in last week's midterm elections.

Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, announced on Monday that he will challenge McCarthy for speaker.

But Greene on Monday broke with her allies in the caucus and endorsed McCarthy.

Gaetz, a close ally of Greene's, has hit back, suggesting her support of McCarthy would backfire.

"Whatever Kevin has promised Marjorie Taylor Greene, I guarantee you this at the first opportunity, he will zap her faster than you can say Jewish space laser," he said on FrankSpeech.com, referring to a conspiracy theory the congresswoman has promoted and been criticized for.

Gaetz continued: "I wish that wasn't the case, but it is the conduct, and it is the pattern and practice of Kevin McCarthy over years that showcase this." McCarthy has said that Greene would be allowed back on committees if Republicans win back the House.

In an interview on The Charlie Kirk Show, Gaetz also dismissed the notion that McCarthy had a chance of becoming speaker.

"Right now, there are a lot of the establishment Republicans in denial, believing that Kevin McCarthy can somehow still become speaker," he said.

"What I'm here to tell you is there are definitely at least five people, actually a lot more than that, who would rather be waterboarded by Liz Cheney, than vote for Kevin McCarthy for Speaker of the House, and I'm one of them and so then you can kind of dispense with that."

Gaetz said that he believes there is "a real desire to have fresh faces, new leadership, new ideas, and to turn a new page so that we can get to the important work that we promised the American people we could get to."

Greene, during an appearance on Steve Bannon's podcast on Monday, urged Republicans to unite behind McCarthy or risk the speakership going to Cheney.

"There is no way in hell I'm going to vote to hand that gavel to Liz Cheney or anyone else Nancy Pelosi wants," she said.

In the same conversation, Greene also said she isn't afraid of a GOP civil war.

"We're going to fight it out. I'm telling you, I've always said I'm not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it," she said.

Spokespeople for Gaetz and Greene have been contacted for further comment.

Didn't Cheney lose her seat?

Didn't Cheney lose her seat?

A majority can choose anyone to be speaker. For a while it was floated that a majority of MAGA types would elect TRUMP to be speaker. A coalition of democrats and republicans could, though it's unlikely, agree on Liz Cheney to be speaker. Any republican who participated in this would be ending their career.

Gaetz going with the ‘Jewish space laser’ insult, on the heels of the Kanye, Kyrie and Chappelle Jewish related controversy, seems like a bad idea.
Not that Gaetz ever seemed to be very politically savvy.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It’s weird, because there is a significant “Team Crazy” within the GOP right now, and these are a couple of the captains. It never occurred to me that they might disagree with each other about anything. It’s kind of like watching a nerd slap fight.
I’m not sure they agreed on much except the need to own Libs and to be in the spotlight. Lauren Boebert used to run with those two, also.

It’s weird, because there is a significant “Team Crazy” within the GOP right now, and these are a couple of the captains. It never occurred to me that they might disagree with each other about anything. It’s kind of like watching a nerd slap fight.

Meh disagreeing over who should be speaker is a relatively minor thing. What's weird to me is he went after her with the "jewish space laser" bit.

Meh disagreeing over who should be speaker is a relatively minor thing. What's weird to me is he went after her with the "jewish space laser" bit.

Yeah, I was surprised about the laser thing - it seemed surprising that he would point out her craziness. Partly because there is a pretty obvious pot/kettle comparison, partly because I assumed Team Crazy would be supportive of each other’s crazy.

Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

Two things really caught my attention.

1. “Whatever Kevin has promised Marjorie Taylor Greene, I guarantee you this at the first opportunity, he will zap her faster than you can say Jewish space laser," he said on FrankSpeech.com, referring to a conspiracy theory the congresswoman has promoted and been criticized for.”

- how casually they will turn on one another and ridicule their crazy conspiracy theories demonstrates just how “unserious” this party is. And I just had to lol at Gaetz’s later comment about being there (ie the Capitol) to work on the real issues facing the American people when he represents the group focused on addressing all of Trump’s grievances.

2. Where does the line begin for water boarding Matt Gaetz?

Contrary to all the news reports, I guess Liz won her election, and is popular with the Rs in the House.

I mean even MTG couldn't get that wrong, could she?

Good to know.

Contrary to all the news reports, I guess Liz won her election, and is popular with the Rs in the House.

I mean even MTG couldn't get that wrong, could she?

Good to know.

It's well established she is crazy.
It's well established she is also pretty dim.

She hasn't seen a committee in years, literally has no idea how to do her job. Why wouldn't she get confused on who is in congress vs not?

ADVERTISEMENT