ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Mooney- potential grad transfer

Tom, you are closer to the program than any of us. What is the problem with the runs Iowa gives up? That was my earlier point. Games are won or lost based on runs and the ability to answer runs (assuming it's not a mismatch). Every team is going to experience cold shooting nights or stretches when shots don't fall, but this was a recurring theme for this team. When offense matters, this team relied almost exclusively on Bohannon and Cook. Later Garza emerged, but what happens to the offense (in your POV) when it looks like they are totally discombobulated?

It is my opinion that this is where the lack of a dribble drive threat manifests itself. Jok used to get to the line to stop runs. Bohannon and Moss are great FT shooters, but neither looks to drive.

My point is and has been, all things sort of equal out over the course of a season. You are who you are and you are what your record and stats say you are as a team. I get that you are a frustrated fan and as such, tend to try to find flaws in anything and everything when a season goes bad. You don't want to give them credit for something. Fact is, last year's team was pretty good offensively when compared to other Iowa teams under Fran. They were also good when compared to other teams in college basketball, again based on the stats and analytics that are used in the game today by everyone.

You can't dismiss them on one end of the floor, but cite them on the other.

They were poor defensively. I wrote that basically all season long and based it on the numbers. It's about getting stops. It's about effort and desire. They weren't good defensively because of a number of reasons. Struggle to stop dribble penetration. Lack of help defense. Lack of rotations, which leaves shooters open. It's never one thing. It's usually a combination of things. Then when things would go back defensively for a stretch, there were times where they would quick shoot. Sometimes guys would resort to hero ball. Poor passes or lack of ball movement. Again, a combination of things in a stretch where if you had a couple of poor defensive positions and compound it with poor offensive possessions at the same time. If you watch college basketball, or really any basketball, every team has a stretch or two like this in just about every game. Opposing teams throws up a quick 10-0 run on you. That isn't unique to Iowa basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT