ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Ryan to Iowa ??

OsceolaNole

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2002
Listening to a national sports podcast that I frequent. Had Matt Ryan on telling stories about his college recruitment. It was between Iowa and Boston College and he chose BC because it was closer to home and easier to get to. He said he was a 3-star recruit and that was generous considering his athleticism and the fact they ran a triple option in high school.

What could have been? Probably not much different cause he wouldn’t have been able to sling it around in Iowa City. Who did you end up with back then?

Drew Tate x 3 plus Jake Christiansen statistically > Matt Ryan at Boston College in total yards, TDs and QB rating...
yes+but.gif

Drew Tate and Matt Ryan were both 2003 recruits. Iowa really wanted Chris Leak who went to Florida.

Funny. Ryan said his dream school growing up was UF, playing in that offense. Alas, no offer from Gainesville while he was a recruit.

Isn't Drew Brees story similar? He wanted to go to Iowa and his HS coaches even sent some highlights and film to Iowa but they passed on an offer and he went to Purdue. I think it was something like that. Might not to totally accurate but close

Here is one of the ones we let get away.

Aaron Rodgers simply wanted to play for Bobby Bowden at Florida State. He was turned away from Tallahassee. No other division 1 teams made an offer to Rodgers either.

Drew Tate and Matt Ryan were both 2003 recruits. Iowa really wanted Chris Leak who went to Florida.

Funny. Ryan said his dream school growing up was UF, playing in that offense. Alas, no offer from Gainesville while he was a recruit.
I believe Leak was down to Florida and Iowa as his final two.

I believe Leak was down to Florida and Iowa as his final two.
And Tom Zbikowski who ended up going to Notre Dame. Both were featured in a series by ESPN when recruiting coverage on the internet was starting to become a big deal. Forgot what it was called so I looked it up. 'Blue Chip Diaries.'. Its been 20 years now but I remember following them because Iowa was a front runner for both. But of course ultimately got neither...

• Sad
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
And Tom Zbikowski who ended up going to Notre Dame. Both were featured in a series by ESPN when recruiting coverage on the internet was starting to become a big deal. Forgot what it was called so I looked it up. 'Blue Chip Diaries.'. Its been 20 years now but I remember following them because Iowa was a front runner for both. But of course ultimately got neither...
Myron Rolle was another that was down to Iowa and FSU.

I’m not a big college FB guy but what’s the issue for iowa recruiting QBs?

Every year, it feels like 3/5 of your lineman go to play on Sunday’s and the other two are more than capable college players. I would guess that over the last 20 years Iowa’s had one of the top 5 blocking lines in football. Isn’t that a QBs dream?

I’m not a big college FB guy but what’s the issue for iowa recruiting QBs?

Every year, it feels like 3/5 of your lineman go to play on Sunday’s and the other two are more than capable college players. I would guess that over the last 20 years Iowa’s had one of the top 5 blocking lines in football. Isn’t that a QBs dream?
Offensive scheme is probably the biggest factor. It's just not attractive for guys that want to put up big passing numbers. Likewise quarterbacks aren't exactly attracted to a place that lacks standout receivers as they generally don't come here to block and run 4 yard routes. An offense that's slow and methodical by design isn't going to attract offensive talent. The guys mentioned in this thread were available two coordinators ago when Iowa's offense wasn't explosive but leaps and bounds ahead of where it is now.

Another factor I think is incumbency. Iowa is generally a starter for life program, and would likely never play a true freshman. So you're guaranteed to sit a year or two before actually listed on the depth chart, and depending who's at the helm you're then stuck behind them until they graduate. Barring transfers you can usually tell a few years ahead who's likely to be the successor at quarterback. Recruits see that too.

ADVERTISEMENT