ADVERTISEMENT

Matthews

cheerscoach

HR MVP
Mar 4, 2010
Wow, Matthews just whiffed in the flat pretty much just like Gervase did. Matthews sucks and is unathletic. :)

For someone who’s of retirement age, you sure have some thin skin.
When have I acted personally insulted and who criticized me? I wasn't aware anyone insulted me. Were you speaking in a literal sense? You've seen my skin? The aging process does literally make it thinner, but I'm not aware of anyone criticizing me. My pointing out bias and hypocrisy doesn't equate to thin skin that I'm aware of by my understanding of the definition, so I'm not sure what you are referring to, but thanks for sharing your totally random thought.

So, Mr. Gervase,in what round are you predicting your son to be drafted in 2019? If he is the best safety on the team, he will surely be drafted earlier than Hooker will when he is done at Iowa, right?

Matthews is old and should have been traded a year or two ago.

Long-time Packers fan and Matthews will always be remembered fondly, but he is a shell of his former Pro Bowl self at this point in his career. Plays hard but gets next to nothing done on the field at this point. The Packers defense is no better under Pettine than it was under Capers, which tells me it's all about the players (or lack thereof).

So, Mr. Gervase,in what round are you predicting your son to be drafted in 2019? If he is the best safety on the team, he will surely be drafted earlier than Hooker will when he is done at Iowa, right?
I've been trying to make a point about the bias shown by some towards players they don't perceive to be as athletic as others and are quick to criticize those players while giving others a pass. We went through 3 yrs. of that with Bower (among others over the years). Some will understand my point, while others, like yourself, will not seek understanding and choose to ridicule the message and attempt to marginalize the messenger. Nothing new or original. Doesn't bother me any. I do know Steve Gervase though. Heck of a guy.

So are you going to start a thread this week about how we overrate Gervase because he botched a handful of plays Saturday?
What is a handful? Let's be specific. I saw him miss twice one on one in the open field while attacking the LOS, which I have pointed out, happens to everyone. Some just choose not to remember when the players they are biased towards do it. I think you're trying to be clever, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone overrate Gervase like I feel they have about Hooker 'at times'. You seem to be another one who missed the point of my thread on Hooker. It was gauged against 'fanatics', not Hooker. Hooker is a versatile player who has really helped this team starting at 3 different positions now. For fanatics to proclaim that he's leaving after this year based on their unsophisticated observations of roughly a half dozen games that he saw significant time in last year is pretty brazen. Sorry you missed my point.

Sorry you missed my point that my mocking you has everything to do with you having some weird obsession with getting validation for your opinion on the internet and nothing to do with actual player observations.

Gervase got beat badly multiple times on Saturday, including for the last TD. I'm sure your son is a good kid, but he probably doesn't appreciate you posting on the internet trying to make his teammates look bad so that us fans will think more highly of him.

Hope you're enjoying all your free time in retirement and doing something actually productive, but it doesn't really seem like it.

Sorry you missed my point that my mocking you has everything to do with you having some weird obsession with getting validation for your opinion on the internet and nothing to do with actual player observations.

Gervase got beat badly multiple times on Saturday, including for the last TD. I'm sure your son is a good kid, but he probably doesn't appreciate you posting on the internet trying to make his teammates look bad so that us fans will think more highly of him.

Hope you're enjoying all your free time in retirement and doing something actually productive, but it doesn't really seem like it.
My weird obsession? What is your purpose of being in a football fan site chat room? Lol. You're just trolling now buddy. Nice try. I'm not going to feed you. If you'd like to get specific, like I asked about his 'multiple' times, we have something to talk about, otherwise, I shall bid you good day.

Long-time Packers fan and Matthews will always be remembered fondly, but he is a shell of his former Pro Bowl self at this point in his career. Plays hard but gets next to nothing done on the field at this point. The Packers defense is no better under Pettine than it was under Capers, which tells me it's all about the players (or lack thereof).
It doesn't help he isn't juicing anymore.

Don't have time to watch the whole game right now, so just the glaring plays I recall...

1st Quarter
1st drive
3rd play of the game with 14:10 left
Pass to the WR in the flat, Gervase runs up and WR makes a simple cut inside, Gervase freezes or expects the RB to run straight at him, results in 9-10 yard gain.

1st Quarter
1st drive
6th play of the game with 13:36 left
QB read/handoff to the RB out of shotgun, Gervase runs up to the LOS 2-3 yards in front of the RB, freezes, RB runs outside for about 13 yards.

3rd Quarter
2nd or 3rd drive
11th(?) play right after the PI on OJ, with 6:01 left
QB read/keeps and runs outside, Gervase comes up for the stop at the LOS between the right hash and 10 yard number, QB fakes inside puts Gervase on his heels, beats him outside easily, Gervase dives from about 1 yard behind the QB at the 3 forcing the QB to dive in for the TD.

Those are just the plays I remember, and all three Gervase had a player dead to rights and froze or was beat while it looked like he was standing still. All three plays should have been made, regardless of who it was defending.

I don't think Gervase played a bad game, but he had a number of bad plays that should have been made that directly led to points (3 on the first drive, 7 at the end of the game). Just pointing out how ridiculous it is to single out a player over a few plays as the "weak link of the defense".

And before you claim how I completely missed the point, I'm not someone who thought Hooker was all conference or NFL caliber going into this season. This all started because you started a thread on Hooker and randomly felt the need to tell everyone that Gervase was more consistent and imply he was better. I asked you to breakdown Gervase's bad plays and you got all defensive and told us we "missed the point".

I'm open to discussing football but threads like this don't help your cause when they just make you seem childish because you can't take any criticism/anyone disagreeing with you.

I've been trying to make a point about the bias shown by some towards players they don't perceive to be as athletic as others and are quick to criticize those players while giving others a pass. We went through 3 yrs. of that with Bower (among others over the years). Some will understand my point, while others, like yourself, will not seek understanding and choose to ridicule the message and attempt to marginalize the messenger. Nothing new or original. Doesn't bother me any. I do know Steve Gervase though. Heck of a guy.

And I have never said Gervase shouldn't be starting. He, like most players, has things he does well and things he isn't as good at. Tackling in space is his kryptonite. I think he and Hooker compliment one another in that backfield. But Gervase is not the better player between the two.

Don't have time to watch the whole game right now, so just the glaring plays I recall...

1st Quarter
1st drive
3rd play of the game with 14:10 left
Pass to the WR in the flat, Gervase runs up and WR makes a simple cut inside, Gervase freezes or expects the RB to run straight at him, results in 9-10 yard gain.

1st Quarter
1st drive
6th play of the game with 13:36 left
QB read/handoff to the RB out of shotgun, Gervase runs up to the LOS 2-3 yards in front of the RB, freezes, RB runs outside for about 13 yards.

3rd Quarter
2nd or 3rd drive
11th(?) play right after the PI on OJ, with 6:01 left
QB read/keeps and runs outside, Gervase comes up for the stop at the LOS between the right hash and 10 yard number, QB fakes inside puts Gervase on his heels, beats him outside easily, Gervase dives from about 1 yard behind the QB at the 3 forcing the QB to dive in for the TD.

Those are just the plays I remember, and all three Gervase had a player dead to rights and froze or was beat while it looked like he was standing still. All three plays should have been made, regardless of who it was defending.

I don't think Gervase played a bad game, but he had a number of bad plays that should have been made that directly led to points (3 on the first drive, 7 at the end of the game). Just pointing out how ridiculous it is to single out a player over a few plays as the "weak link of the defense".

And before you claim how I completely missed the point, I'm not someone who thought Hooker was all conference or NFL caliber going into this season. This all started because you started a thread on Hooker and randomly felt the need to tell everyone that Gervase was more consistent and imply he was better. I asked you to breakdown Gervase's bad plays and you got all defensive and told us we "missed the point".

I'm open to discussing football but threads like this don't help your cause when they just make you seem childish because you can't take any criticism/anyone disagreeing with you.
If you somehow derived that I thought or said that Gervase was better, than yes, you did miss the point and apparently injected your own bias into it. When did the sharing of thoughts and information become 'defensive' in this country/world? I've talked on a couple occasions about Gervase's bad plays, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say 'any criticism'. I don't think people have really criticized me, I've mainly seen people make personal insults like calling people 'childish'.
I believe I was the first to mention two of the plays you listed above, but I don't have a tape of the game (and can't find one online), so I am not aware of the 2nd play you mentioned and don't remember it during the game. I would have to see it to evaluate it.

ADVERTISEMENT