ADVERTISEMENT

*****May 1 Spring Practice Thread. Visitors include Kadyn Proctor & Xavier Nwankpa*****

@webcentrick captured this post practice pic as Kaitlin Clark & the women's basketball team was honored

E0VPu4rXoAA-a3_

After watching all this video that available I have not seen anything that makes my wildcat prediction of Joey Labas as the starter before the season is over any crazier than when I made it. The QBs do not look good.

But there's months to go and they don't look terrible either. It does seem that the rest of the offense is pretty talented. Poor QB play will be maddening because Iowa is about 5 deep at receiver and at least two deep at tight with guys that can catch and run, and a talented multi-threat running back.

Last edited:
looks like a done deal to me :cool:

Brody is on to something. Those two kids could be part of truly moving Iowa up a notch in the football nobility.

A lot riding on this next season. I hope our existing Iowa recruits from Iowa are selling that message hard to the two in state boys. "We can be the guys that take that next step..." "Iowa HS players take Iowa to No. 1"

Reactions: CarmelHawki
Sucks to have Black, Lee and Jones out. They need reps to prep for the season. It will be harder to get those come fall....
There are injuries but it seems every year during the public practice I wonder if some players are actually hurt or being kept a secrete

There are injuries but it seems every year during the public practice I wonder if some players are actually hurt or being kept a secrete
Black has missed both scrimmages and will be counted on heavily come the season, so I highly doubt there hiding him. This time is crucial for the young guys especially. Some young pups like Colby are gaining valuable experience while others like Davidkov are losing a shot to work into the two deeps.....

I was in attendance again today. My thoughts:

1. Petras is clearly our best QB. Padilla is clearly the 2nd best right now, but I can't rule out Hogan passing him in the next 12 months.
2. With Tracy and Ragaini out, Keegan Johnson was clearly the most polished looking receiver when they were running uncontested routes. Charlie Jones looked better in the scrimmage. Hutson had some moments running contested routes, but overall didn't stand out. Arland Bruce looked solid overall, but his best moments were in the scrimmage. He definitely has big YAC potential.
3. Tyler Goodson is going to be all big ten this year, at least. Gavin Williams also looked really good. The other Williams looked way better today than at the last practice.
4. The secondary still looks really good.
5. We had a ton of injuries at DL, WR and OL. We had so many people out I almost don't know how much to even take away from OL, DL and RB performances. But, some of the young DL looked good.
6. Kadyn Proctor and Xavier Nwankpa were seated not far from me. Proctor looks like Tristan Wirfs. Like, he could be a stunt double. That probably doesn't mean much, but it was striking.
7. Oh, and our starting kicker and punter are really good.
I have to disagree with Petras clearly being the best QB. Throughout the entire practice Padilla looked better IMO. Petras had some really bad passes in passing drills. Padilla’s accuracy was much better. Have to practice the entire practice like it’s a game.

dbrocket said that Petrus looked much better as the season wore on.

So, db... Illinois was our 2nd to last game. Watch that first half for me. High school QB’s can make the throws that he completely failed. Look at the body language of the WR’s, backs and TE’s when he missed them BADLY. Most of the throws were so awful that the receiver didn’t even try for them.

He was in the pocket, and there was no pressure.

dbrocket said that Petrus looked much better as the season wore on.

So, db... Illinois was our 2nd to last game. Watch that first half for me. High school QB’s can make the throws that he completely failed. Look at the body language of the WR’s, backs and TE’s when he missed them BADLY. Most of the throws were so awful that the receiver didn’t even try for them.

He was in the pocket, and there was no pressure.
Wow...so how'd the whole game turn out?

The "better" thing is all projection. Petras has the better arm and runs through the motions in practice great. From what I heard he still has lapses. However if he can translate his practice form into in game production he will be the Iowa starter until he graduates. That will be his obstacle. Like last year he looked great in practice. Last year he was an entirely different QB in games and looked frantic at times. That is where Padilla comes in.

Padilla lacks the big arm capabilities Petras has. However Padilla has taken big strides this year and has proven in practice he can move the 1st team offense down the field. His narrowimg the gap is the fact he is B1G game ready this year as compared to last year. Where Padilla could jump Petras is if Petras falls flat again in games and Padilla proves to be a better in game QB. Iowa can't afford to drop a game or two in conference because of QB play and still expect to be in the hunt to claim the West. Something Iowa needs to win this year.

Hogan has a ton of talent and potential. He likely won't be ready this year to lead a B1G offense. Both Hogan and Padilla want to lead a team multiple years and not just be a 1 year starter. Question will be will both transfer at the end of the year if Petras has a solid year and claims the spot?

Good analysis of where we are at with QB. I am one that believes you shouldn't set your QB at the beginning of the year and roll with it no matter what...which seems to be the way Iowa FB handles that position. I don't see competition and the #2 getting some meaningful game reps as a bad thing.

I get the feeling that Petras is all world in practice type guy but gets nervous in games. Padilla strikes me as the opposite from what I see so far during live scrimmage situations but hard to tell.

Over all, it's pretty rare for an Iowa starting QB to be replaced once they become number one. As others have stated... I think it's pretty safe to expect at least one departure from the current group.

Reactions: hawkosx
Who knows? But I'm excited about another walkon rb coming in this fall. Look out for Zach Brand.
Again, what are we “looking out” for? A guy cracking the two deeps or a kid wearing his letterman’s jacket in the student section that doesn’t even dress for home games? Goodson, IKM, and both Williams guys seem to have the position locked down.

Again, what are we “looking out” for? A guy cracking the two deeps or a kid wearing his letterman’s jacket in the student section that doesn’t even dress for home games? Goodson, IKM, and both Williams guys seem to have the position locked down.

Not rocket science "look out" is often and could be interpreted as football vernacular for possibly a sleeper type recruit that I believe could be special. Where did I say he was going to crack the two deeps this year? He will need time of course...just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT