ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe our recruiting has been alittle better than some thought...

Numerous contributions by 2 star recruits, including 200 plus yards and 4TDs from our lightly recruited 3rd string running back.

We're playing our most favorable schedule ever, this season. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: gohawkz
We're playing our most favorable schedule ever, this season. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Sooooooo, those players aren't good? Is that upsetting to think we can't reasonably complain about the recruiting right now?

The rest of the schedule is a joke, but Iowa has played a pretty good schedule to date. Does anybody else in the country have two road wins over top 20 teams?

Reactions: IaHawk44
A joke? You say. At Nebraska. Big ten teams. A joke would be Dubuque, Luther, Simpson, ams community college.

Not a joke. Stop listening to "expert analysts"

I agree, we have recruited pretty well. Next year's Hawk recruits look promising also.

Wadley IS QUICK,!! Only a two,? Hmm??

Remember recruiting rankings is mostly based on two analytics. # of Scholarships from big time programs, and college ready they are based on an opinion of the scout in that region. Iowa rarely plays true freshman, so they develop players so no need to worry how college ready they are in high school. And secondly we don't win many battles against the big boys so we get the less recruited kids. I think recruiting services should take a 5 year snapshot of programs who consistently out perform their prior recruiting rankings and weigh their offers a little more than schools who don't outperform their recruiting rankings, ahem Nebraska, Texas.

Well, it proves that coaching is more important than raw talent. That doesn't mean everyone was wrong the last few years.

We've beaten 2 ranked teams on the road and currently ranked Pitt at home. I'd say we've had one of the harder schedules to date of the undefeateds

Numerous contributions by 2 star recruits, including 200 plus yards and 4TDs from our lightly recruited 3rd string running back.
Just remember 3 fairly high rated OL recruits are blocking and creating those holes. But your point is taken.

Definitely identifying talent has been a trademark of Ferentz. Iowa's contribution to the pro ranks is proof of that. Now, in addition to our current success, we have the new Iowa Football Palace, and that is going to attract more highly rated players, without a doubt. A.J. Epenesa would be a great addition to helping us go in that direction.

Reactions: Cougar63
Why be negative? Why not enjoy the ride? We are having a once I. A decade type year and still people want to shove negativity down peoples' throats

Come on people ... I listen to the media, Brian Griese, etc... Iowa has never actually won a game over a good team. Look it up. It was true in '09 and true today. In fact, Iowa should not be allowed to play in the College Football Playoff.

Any BIG Ten West team not named Wisconsin or Nebraska should automatically be disqualified from participating in any nationally relevant playoff or bowl game. It's just the fair and right thing to do. Elite media members should not be subjected to witnessing such blasphemy.

Reactions: keech33
I believe how a player develops between ages 16-19 is way more important than how many stars they have when they are 16. But, its hard to evaluate and recruit potential. This staff does a pretty good job at it most of the time.

Reactions: nu2u
Sooooooo, those players aren't good? Is that upsetting to think we can't reasonably complain about the recruiting right now?

The rest of the schedule is a joke, but Iowa has played a pretty good schedule to date. Does anybody else in the country have two road wins over top 20 teams?
Iowa has played and beat two top 25's on the road, beat a current top 25, top 5 FCS school, and a Big Ten team that stands 4-2.
Iowa will play Indiana, Purdue and Maryland, all schools that Michigan, MSU and OSU will play, but they those schools don't get knocked for playing them.

Everyone needs to settle down. History tells us every five years all the stars align and we have a year like this. Recruiting the way Iowa does isnt a good gameplan for consistent success. This is why KF avgs about 7 wins a season and not 8 or 9 or even 10. Look at Wisconsin they grab only a couple more 4 star recruits a year then Iowa and otherwise recruit much to the same as Iowa but have sustained success a lot better. The past 5 seasons at Iowa paint a very different story at Iowa with a 34-30 record along with a 1-3 bowl record and a poor record vs our rivals.

I think that you can look at 2013 and 2014 and say that Iowa has hit on a high percentage of 2* players in those two classes. 2013 hits--Josey Jewell, Akrum Wadley, Matt Vandeberg. 2013 possible--Jonathan Parker (has played, not a starter). 2013 miss--Anjeous Jones (left program). You would not expect a 60 to 80% success rate on your 2 star recruits.

2014 hits--Ben Niemann, Parker Hesse, Josh Jackson. 2014 possible--Terence Harris, Ross Reynolds. I do not count kickers/punters as normal 2 star recruits, so I do not include Mick Ellis or Dillon Kidd in this analysis. But of the 2014 2 stars, right now that is a 60% success rate.

My point is not to try to prove the merits of recruiting 2 star players. But when Iowa hits on 2 star players, that typically does mean good things for the overall talent and depth of Iowa's roster (conversely, when Iowa misses on 2 star players, as it did in 2008 and 2009, that means bad things for Iowa's overall talent and depth).

Reactions: TankHawk
Another explanation would be coaching.
Iowa has played and beat two top 25's on the road, beat a current top 25, top 5 FCS school, and a Big Ten team that stands 4-2.
Iowa will play Indiana, Purdue and Maryland, all schools that Michigan, MSU and OSU will play, but they those schools don't get knocked for playing them.

I think that's because Michigan, MSU and Ohio State play each other. I think Pitt has a very good chance to be the best win we have to show when it's over. They are like the ACC equivalent of the Hawks in that they don't play Florida State or Clemson until the CCG and should be at worst probably 10-2 by then. Wisconsin will also be 10-2 and ranked around 15 by the end of the year but they will have only played 2 decent teams, lost to one at home and got hammered by the other (Bama) in Dallas. Regardless, the computers are not going to like Iowa, and probably neither will the committee, but go 13-0 and they're in.

I think that you can look at 2013 and 2014 and say that Iowa has hit on a high percentage of 2* players in those two classes. 2013 hits--Josey Jewell, Akrum Wadley, Matt Vandeberg. 2013 possible--Jonathan Parker (has played, not a starter). 2013 miss--Anjeous Jones (left program). You would not expect a 60 to 80% success rate on your 2 star recruits.

2014 hits--Ben Niemann, Parker Hesse, Josh Jackson. 2014 possible--Terence Harris, Ross Reynolds. I do not count kickers/punters as normal 2 star recruits, so I do not include Mick Ellis or Dillon Kidd in this analysis. But of the 2014 2 stars, right now that is a 60% success rate.

My point is not to try to prove the merits of recruiting 2 star players. But when Iowa hits on 2 star players, that typically does mean good things for the overall talent and depth of Iowa's roster (conversely, when Iowa misses on 2 star players, as it did in 2008 and 2009, that means bad things for Iowa's overall talent and depth).

KF doesn't know that he's ever recruited a 2* athlete. He doesn't look at recruiting rankings, so how would he? And which ranking should he look at? The one that donates the most money to the program?
Pretty strong cases have been made on this site and by national writers over the last year that the biggest 'problem' Iowa and KF has faced over the last 4-5 years was ATTRITION! But the folks on here that aren't capable of deductive reasoning and want to believe what they want to believe, will just continue to talk about recruiting rankings. It's and obsession for a lot of folks, and almost an illness.

EDIT: I accidently responded to the wrong post. This was in response to the infamous Auger, who I can't believe even shows his face on this site anymore.

KF doesn't know that he's ever recruited a 2* athlete. He doesn't look at recruiting rankings, so how would he? And which ranking should he look at? The one that donates the most money to the program?
Pretty strong cases have been made on this site and by national writers over the last year that the biggest 'problem' Iowa and KF has faced over the last 4-5 years was ATTRITION! But the folks on here that aren't capable of deductive reasoning and want to believe what they want to believe, will just continue to talk about recruiting rankings. It's and obsession for a lot of folks, and almost an illness.

EDIT: I accidently responded to the wrong post. This was in response to the infamous Auger, who I can't believe even shows his face on this site anymore.

What have I done or said that would cause me not to show my face on here anymore? Last year I posted an in depth look at Iowa's recruiting during the KF years. The conclusion was that in the past Iowa has had large success when Iowa has a mix of highly rated guys and low rated guys that have excelled. Iowa has hard years when we don't have highly rated guys and low rated guys don't pan out and many leave the program. If Iowa is going to have a good year they need many two star recruits and low rated three star guys to pan out. Overall Iowa has been lucky to have half of its lower rated guys pan out which is why Iowa avg's only 7 wins a season.
If youre mad at me because I have been critical of KF in the past Im not going to run and hide from that. Iowa was 34-30 over the past 5 seasons along with poor records against ISU, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Minnesota. Iowa also had a 1-3 bowl record during that time with a couple blowout games. Games were boring with a very boring style of play. Any football fan would be critical.

What have I done or said that would cause me not to show my face on here anymore? Last year I posted an in depth look at Iowa's recruiting during the KF years. The conclusion was that in the past Iowa has had large success when Iowa has a mix of highly rated guys and low rated guys that have excelled. Iowa has hard years when we don't have highly rated guys and low rated guys don't pan out and many leave the program. If Iowa is going to have a good year they need many two star recruits and low rated three star guys to pan out. Overall Iowa has been lucky to have half of its lower rated guys pan out which is why Iowa avg's only 7 wins a season.
If youre mad at me because I have been critical of KF in the past Im not going to run and hide from that. Iowa was 34-30 over the past 5 seasons along with poor records against ISU, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Minnesota. Iowa also had a 1-3 bowl record during that time with a couple blowout games. Games were boring with a very boring style of play. Any football fan would be critical.
Although critical, I do ever remember your criticism being unwarranted and out of line.....I am a huge KF supporter and will not run from that fact....but even I knew that we had to have a good season this year or things might get ugly....I also think that much of the criticism (especially last year) was too focused on offensive problems and not special team and defense.

Reactions: Vallholl
The Iowa coaching staff has been very good at finding talent that's not developed enough to play right away in college. After they redshirt them and put them in the strength and conditioning program, they're ready to contribute.

Although critical, I do ever remember your criticism being unwarranted and out of line.....I am a huge KF supporter and will not run from that fact....but even I knew that we had to have a good season this year or things might get ugly....I also think that much of the criticism (especially last year) was too focused on offensive problems and not special team and defense.

Agree. Our defensive problems came from poor recruiting that unfortunately put some very young kids into an unwinnable situation. Much of my criticisim of KF and recruiting comes from this. Why Wisconsin and MSU have been able to sustain success for longer periods of time than Iowa despite recruiting only slightly better is they do a better job of filling needs and allow players to grow into positions rater than having to throw them in to early. Iowa has struggled at this and most years have holes in the lineup that opposing teams expose like the LB's last year. This year the staff has done a great job of coaching up the O-line. Of course a lot of credit goes to the type of QB we have in the backfield now as well.

I will add this I have always been a fan of KF and I am very very happy he has turned the program around again. My dream would be to have KF coach his way off into the sunset and then have Brian take over and take the program further. I think what people get confused over is the same thing with politics. They like a guys character so much they can't see any wrongs in him and only see good. However you can't look at a guys character and rate how he is doing at his job.

Reactions: milehighhawkeye24
I will add this I have always been a fan of KF and I am very very happy he has turned the program around again. My dream would be to have KF coach his way off into the sunset and then have Brian take over and take the program further. I think what people get confused over is the same thing with politics. They like a guys character so much they can't see any wrongs in him and only see good. However you can't look at a guys character and rate how he is doing at his job.
I couldn't agree more and I admit that I often times put a ton of emphasis on his character (but in today's sporting world I think that is undervalued and I really do appreciate him in that regard) but I also do believe he is a hell of a coach and also think he deserves more loyality from the fan base because of the loyalty he has shown to the program, university, and community. KF does many things behind the scenes that most coaches would bring a camera crew in if they were doing it. KF often visits young children with special needs at their schools without an media coverage or any fanfare....maybe 3rd time is a charm for him to be able to sustain some success before riding out into the sunset....do not want to get to far ahead here but next years team excites me too (and yes I have said that many times LOL)

Reactions: Auger
We are on a magical season. Two very fortunate fumble recoveries, a 57 yard FG, and starting a damn good QB has kept us from a 5-2 record.

Agree. Our defensive problems came from poor recruiting that unfortunately put some very young kids into an unwinnable situation. Much of my criticisim of KF and recruiting comes from this. Why Wisconsin and MSU have been able to sustain success for longer periods of time than Iowa despite recruiting only slightly better is they do a better job of filling needs and allow players to grow into positions rater than having to throw them in to early. Iowa has struggled at this and most years have holes in the lineup that opposing teams expose like the LB's last year. This year the staff has done a great job of coaching up the O-line. Of course a lot of credit goes to the type of QB we have in the backfield now as well.

Wrong, wrong, wrong

We are on a magical season. Two very fortunate fumble recoveries, a 57 yard FG, and starting a damn good QB has kept us from a 5-2 record.
There have been numerous close loses over the years that kept us from 9 or 10 wins. That's football, ball bounces your way some times. It can bounce the other way, just as fast.

One thing you can't measure in a player, is heart!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT