ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe this is stating the obvious but..

the24fan

HR Heisman
Jul 30, 2007
this whole offensive sh!t show starts on the OL. Look Petras stinks as a QB, we all know it. But in all my years watching Hawk FB I’ve never seen an OL look this bad. Granted I’ve only been watching since the early 80s but this unit is the worst in power 5 FB. Barnett needs fired yesterday! The OL hasn’t shown any improvement over the course of nearly two seasons and that’s on coaching . Until they can get back to establishing the LOS and running the FB this offense is a lost cause.

this whole offensive sh!t show starts on the OL. Look Petras stinks as a QB, we all know it. But in all my years watching Hawk FB I’ve never seen an OL look this bad. Granted I’ve only been watching since the early 80s but this unit is the worst in power 5 FB. Barnett needs fired yesterday! The OL hasn’t shown any improvement over the course of nearly two seasons and that’s on coaching . Until they can get back to establishing the LOS and running the FB this offense is a lost cause.
Agree, they're awful. Physically bad and don't know what they're doing either. You would think a guy known as a line guru could at least get that right on his team. Kirk brings nothing to the table at this point as head coach. My kids highschool team can at least figure out who to block.

Listen, I know everyone is expecting all passes in the final Iowa drive, but that OLine was overwhelmed on every play.

A sieve, if you will. The lack of development falls squarely on the coaches. None, absolutely none, of those kids is a Division 1 athlete at this point.

The tackles are high school level right now.

Sometimes I picture posters like OP mashing on the keys… and here I imagined very daintily selecting “bold” annnnnnd post

Nothing against the OP I am known to mash it just made me laugh

the offensive line and the QB and the WRs and the play calling, and way the running backs are rotated, and the schemes all suck which is the responsibility of the OC. If the OC sucks it's the responsibility of the head coach to do something about it. If he can't fire the OC for some strange reason, it's the responsibility of the AD to either fire the HC or the OC.
Basically, we have an OC who is allowed to be INCOMPETENT because we have a HC who is allowed to be COMPROMISED because we have an AD who is DERELICT in his duties and most likely the president of the university doesn't care.

To be blunt, yes, it is stating the obvious. The line is nothing short of an embarrassment. For a head coach billed as some kind of Lineman Whisperer, what we have seen from the unit over the last few seasons has been criminal.
Also, winning the Joe Moore Award in '16 was more of a nostalgic gesture than any thing from his ol' buddy Joe....if memory serves, we def. did not deserve that trophy.

Last edited:
And these issues with the line fall directly on coaching. Whatever they’re teaching is not working. They look lost. Not just one of them either, the whole friggin’ line. That tells me, it’s a problem at the top.

Our lines have been mediocre for the most part since the mid 2000’s. This idea that we’ve had dominate o-lines is mostly imaginary. Sure we’ve had great lineman in that time period and there’s been a year or sprinkled in since then but for the most part our line has been less than stellar

Barnett has not shown to be a good hire, When an OL is struggling You make the scheme simpler , You man block and keep a back in to help and have the TE at least chip , This Group looks like a bunch of fatties lined up at the all You can eat buffet fighting over the last Croissant , Zone scheme is harder to get cohesive than man on man and it is evident this groups zone blocking is an epic fail, pass blocking has been ok at times but it is getting no help when Your QB auditions for the Mummy returns remake role on most downs .

To be blunt, yes, it is stating the obvious. The line is nothing short of an embarrassment. For a head coach billed as some kind of Lineman Whisperer, what we have seen from the unit over the last few seasons has been criminal.
The whisperer thingy was before Barta made him a multi millionaire who doesn't have to give a shit now

Reactions: MVPFAN
Barnett isn’t responsible for the horrible OL recruiting over the last several years. I mean, we had two former walk-ons starting last year and chose to not seek out anyone in the portal. We have a starting center that moved over from defense during spring ball. Think about that. Outside of two years ago when we had a very good OL class, our OL recruiting has been brutally bad. People like to say, “I trust our coaches.” You don’t build a solid OL getting three star recruits with 0-3 low level power five offers. Combine that with a statue of a qb who completes 54% of his passes and an offensive scheme that allows teams to create pressure and defend the run, this is what you get. Honest to God, Iowa would do much better putting in a sprint out package and Read option and letting Cooper DeJean run it. The offense would be much better.

Reactions: RomanHawk
the offensive line and the QB and the WRs and the play calling, and way the running backs are rotated, and the schemes all suck which is the responsibility of the OC.

Correct. Everything about the offense is offensive. It is the most poorly coached unit for Iowa I can ever remember seeing. You know what most programs would do if they were consistently the worst and showing no improvement?

NO. It starts and ends with the Offensive Coordinator in Brian Ferentz. If your Oline is bad then you work around it as best you can but he has no idea what he is doing so that is impossible.

It's fundamentals which is coaching or lack of.

we all now Iowa succeeds when we win the battle of the LOS and run the FB. I agree with the poster who said simplify the damn blocking scheme. Go straight up man and get 4 YAC. That’s the only way this offense can be even remotely serviceable. We all know if it’s 3rd and 8 we have basically no shot.
This team is dreadfully soft up front.

The OL is pathetic, so the OL coach needs to be fired. The QB is pathetic, so the QB coach needs to be fired. The offense play caling sucks, so the OC needs to be fired. Well, none of that will be done, because Kirk won't fire his son, and it would look bad to the team if he fired Barnett and NOT fire his son. Barta needs to fire Brian, which could result in Kirk resigning.....I can live with that, either way, problem solved.

it's the responsibility of the AD to either fire the HC or the OC.
Basically, we have an OC who is allowed to be INCOMPETENT because we have a HC who is allowed to be COMPROMISED because we have an AD who is DERELICT in his duties and most likely the president of the university doesn't care
Barbara Wilson might be the best hope for any meaningful change in the near future.....
2021_04_30-Wilson%2C%20Barbara%20-%20President%20jatorner%20-0134-medium.jpeg

I just don't see Gary Barta forcing a staff change or even issuing ultimatums which he would be willing to enforce. Barta is essentially compromised by the latest contract exension IMO. The AD and HC are both entrenched. A new AD is the best option to force meaningful change.

Also, winning the Joe Moore Award in '16 was more of a nostalgic gesture than any things from his ol' buddy Joe....if memory serves, we def. did not deserve that trophy.
Yeah, Beathard was the walking wounded that year because he was running for his life most of the season. That award was about cronyism which is appropriate for Kirk since he's as about as into that ism as he is nepotism

Barbara Wilson might be the best hope for any meaningful change in the near future.....
2021_04_30-Wilson%2C%20Barbara%20-%20President%20jatorner%20-0134-medium.jpeg

I just don't see Gary Barta forcing a staff change or even issuing ultimatums which he would be willing to enforce. Barta is essentially compromised by the latest contract exension IMO. The AD and HC are both entrenched. A new AD is the best option to force meaningful change.
Unlikely this person knows the difference between a quarterback and a cornerback (NTTAWWT). Unfortunately, the buck probably stops with the man sized vagina named Gary Barta

Barnett isn’t responsible for the horrible OL recruiting over the last several years. I mean, we had two former walk-ons starting last year and chose to not seek out anyone in the portal. We have a starting center that moved over from defense during spring ball. Think about that. Outside of two years ago when we had a very good OL class, our OL recruiting has been brutally bad. People like to say, “I trust our coaches.” You don’t build a solid OL getting three star recruits with 0-3 low level power five offers. Combine that with a statue of a qb who completes 54% of his passes and an offensive scheme that allows teams to create pressure and defend the run, this is what you get. Honest to God, Iowa would do much better putting in a sprint out package and Read option and letting Cooper DeJean run it. The offense would be much better.
The coaching must be horrendous. They have been recruiting 4 star lineman. We got the top lineman prospect this year.

Unlikely this person knows the difference between a quarterback and a cornerback (NTTAWWT). Unfortunately, the buck probably stops with the man sized vagina named Gary Barta
I don't know about that. The outcome of the former players vs. the University case may present an opportunity for remedial action. She may not know much about football but she is likely keenly aware of the University's public image.

The coaching must be horrendous. They have been recruiting 4 star lineman. We got the top lineman prospect this year.
No we have not been getting 4 star OL outside of 2021. Look at the OL recruiting classes of 18, 19, and 20. Only person seeing time is Elsburry. Look at the offers of those guys, also. Every other recruit didn’t pan out. .

The whisperer thingy was before Barta made him a multi millionaire who doesn't have to give a shit now
That’s not fair. I’m critical of KF and think he has outlived his prime. But I think he lives and dies with the team. The problem is he is a 67 year old man who is very stubborn and has let the game of football pass him by

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT