ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Pete needs to come clean about his time at McKinsey Consulting

Meh. If he signed an NDA he should abide by it. And, unless someone comes up with proof he personally designed programs to lock up kids in cages or something nefarious he was being gainfully employed and making money for himself.
Totally agree. He could, however, make a general blanket disclaimer about not working on things that harmed anyone. I’ve worked with McKinsey consultants and they would talk one-on-one about things they learned at a prior client but the name of that client was sacrosanct and never disclosed.

The other thing I could say about McKinsey consultants is they were people of high integrity. Several on our team were high achieving military academy grads/officers, like Pete. Great people, but working with them on a project was stressful as hell with long hours.

did somebody say something about kinsey?

112474_0063b-1014x570.jpg

I'm a consultant. This story amounts to nothing. Come clean? For what?
Exactly. He was one of 30,000 employees for a global organization a decade ago and now needs to answer for the company with respect to a project it has completed in the last two years? And after he asked to be released from his NDA and the company declined, folks think he should just breach the NDA? Really?

What a lame effort to manufacture a scandal.

Without going through the whole thread. Why does he need to answer for work he did for them years before Trump even became president.

He left the company in 2010. By my calculations that's about 6 years before Trump even became president. So how could he hold any responsibility for what the company did 6 years after he left?

Without going through the whole thread. Why does he need to answer for work he did for them years before Trump even became president.

He left the company in 2010. By my calculations that's about 6 years before Trump even became president. So how could he hold any responsibility for what the company did 6 years after he left?
why does trump get impeached for warning Ukraine about biden before biden became president? dems like to go back and retroactively re-write history.

or this is has the chance of blowing up in his face. His time there may have been completely innocuous. Or, perhaps not. But he needs to explain it.

McKinsey has done a ton of work with Trump's ICE. And the narrative is not good.

ICE quickly redirected McKinsey toward helping the agency figure out how to execute the White House’s clampdown on illegal immigration.

But the money-saving recommendations the consultants came up with made some career ICE workers uncomfortable. They proposed cuts in spending on food for migrants, as well as on medical care and supervision of detainees, according to interviews with people who worked on the project for both ICE and McKinsey and 1,500 pages of documents obtained from the agency after ProPublica filed a lawsuit under the Freedom of Information Act.

McKinsey’s team also looked for ways to accelerate the deportation process, provoking worries among some ICE staff members that the recommendations risked short-circuiting due-process protections for migrants fighting removal from the United States. The consultants, three people who worked on the project said, seemed focused solely on cutting costs and speeding up deportations — actions whose success could be measured in numbers — with little acknowledgment that these policies affected thousands of human beings.

Like I said, his time there may be a non-subject. But apparently he is the biggest recipient of McKinsey Consulting employee's campaign donations and hosted a fundraiser for them last month.

There is a lot more to read here at ProPublica.

And here is a story at HuffPo that talks about Buttigieg's time there his refusal to answer questions.
McKinsey is a widely respected firm that doesn't filter its customers based on party lines. They do what they're paid to do as best they can (and they're effing expensive too).

This should be no cause for concern nor should it reflect poorly on him. Even if he worked on some project you, or he has an ideological issue with, so what?

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
I am a Republican. I kind of like Pete, he is more of a Centrist than some of the Whackos running. That said, he will not sell with the Bible Belt. Southern Iowa included. So he does not have enough positives to offset. The only person I see who can beat Trump is Biden, and Trump is going to paint him as a crook. Will be a dog fight.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
I am a Republican. I kind of like Pete, he is more of a Centrist than some of the Whackos running. That said, he will not sell with the Bible Belt. Southern Iowa included. So he does not have enough positives to offset. The only person I see who can beat Trump is Biden, and Trump is going to paint him as a crook. Will be a dog fight.
I actually like pete as a person and he was a vet. he has zero chance, though. not because he's gay but because of experience. biden is totally losing it and I am not sure if he makes it mentally to the debates with trump but those are going to be great fun if and when they happen!! I think pete would do great in southeast iowa as in Ottumwa. probably not in SW iowa

There's no point in the Democratic Party selling anything in the Bible Belt. They wont vote for Biden either.

Reactions: naturalmwa

My Time at McKinsey

Pete Buttigieg

Dec 6 · 4 min read
I give authorization to McKinsey to release the full list of clients I was assigned to serve.

After completing my higher education in 2007, I worked at the consulting firm McKinsey & Company. I held this job for roughly two and a half years, leaving in early 2010 to pursue my passion for public service. As an Associate, I was assigned to months-long stints on ‘teams’ of typically three or four people working on a study for a client. The bulk of my work on these teams consisted of doing mathematical analysis, conducting research, and preparing presentations. I never worked on a project inconsistent with my values, and if asked to do so, I would have left the firm rather than participate.

Much of my work at McKinsey, including the names of clients served, is covered under a confidentiality agreement that I signed when I joined the firm. In June, my campaign inquired about the scope of this confidentiality agreement. Last month, my campaign reached out again, not only about the scope of the agreement, but also with a request to be released from the confidentiality agreement in full, given the importance of transparency for presidential candidates. To date, the company has not agreed.

I believe transparency is particularly important under the present circumstances in our country, which is one of the reasons why I have released all tax returns from my time in the private sector and since. I am today reiterating my request that McKinsey release me from this agreement, and I again make clear that I authorize them to release the full list of clients I was assigned to serve. This company must recognize the importance of transparency in the exceptional case of a former employee becoming a competitive candidate for the U.S. presidency.

I understand why some are calling on me to break the agreement. But, it’s important to me to keep my word and commitments. I know the American people also want a president who they can trust to do the same. Now more than ever, however, I also understand the American people deserve to know these kinds of details about their president’s background in order to gain and hold that trust. So, I am asking McKinsey to do the right thing in the name of transparency. In the meantime, to add as much clarity as possible to my record, I am providing the following summary of the work that I performed while at the firm.

Timeline of McKinsey Work
  • Working in Michigan for my first study, I served a nonprofit health insurance provider for approximately three months, undertaking on-the-job training and performing analytical work as part of a team identifying savings in administration and overhead costs.
  • Working in the Toronto area, I served a grocery and retail chain for approximately six months, analyzing the effects of price cuts on various combinations of items across their hundreds of stores.
  • Working in Chicago, I briefly served a division of a consumer goods retail chain on a project to investigate opportunities for selling more energy-efficient home products in their stores.
  • I stepped away from the firm during the late summer and fall of 2008 to help full-time with a Democratic campaign for governor in Indiana, returning after the election.
2008–2009
  • Working mostly in California, I served an environmental nonprofit group on a study to research opportunities in energy efficiency and renewable energy.
  • Working in Washington with visits to Iraq and Afghanistan, I served a U.S. Government department in a project focused on increasing employment and entrepreneurship in those countries’ economies.
2009–2010
  • Working in Washington, I served a logistics and shipping provider working to identify and analyze potential new sources of revenue. This was my last study while at McKinsey.
To the best of my recollection, these are all of my client engagements during my time with the firm, but a full release from McKinsey will allow the American public to see the full scope of my work.

giphy.gif

^^^^
So, what do you think Hawk It Up? Does that suffice?

Say what you want about his relative inexperience, but Mayor Pete is probably the best presidential candidate in this field. And it’s a fvcking shame that his sexual preference will be what prevents him from holding office.

I just wish these groups would have the courage to “come out” and openly admit that they just can’t bring themselves to vote for a homosexual. Instead these cowards look for something, anything, that they can point to as an alternate explanation as to why they can’t vote for him.

There's no point in the Democratic Party selling anything in the Bible Belt. They wont vote for Biden either.
I don't think many people in America are going to vote for biden if he keeps saying he gets in the pool with kids to let them pet his hairy legs

^^^^
So, what do you think Hawk It Up? Does that suffice?

Say what you want about his relative inexperience, but Mayor Pete is probably the best presidential candidate in this field. And it’s a fvcking shame that his sexual preference will be what prevents him from holding office.

I just wish these groups would have the courage to “come out” and openly admit that they just can’t bring themselves to vote for a homosexual. Instead these cowards look for something, anything, that they can point to as an alternate explanation as to why they can’t vote for him.
Pete cannot win the South. Even Southern Iowa. Blacks will not force themselves to get out to vote for him either. I went and saw him last night in Davenport. Eh.....Not a world-beater, he advocates getting rid of the electoral college at the same time claiming he is a champion of the Republic. **** that, too much hypocrisy. Small in stature, he would look very small on stage next to Trump. IMHO, Trump will kill him in the debates.

All he has to do is answer the questions. He is using an NDA as a shield. While he is hosting fundraisers and taking donations from their employees.

Look, the story is just breaking in the last day or so. Nobody, particularly myself, has had time to digest all of it. As well, Pete won't talk about it. As I said, it could be a complete nothingburger. We don't know. He does, though.

Using a legal document as a shield...weird.

I actually said the other day I'd quickly support a Biden/Pete ticket. I said it would be quite formidable.

But I am a realist. He has close to zero support in an extremely important and supportive demographic of the Democratic Party. And a lot, hell virtually all of it is his own doing.

Now this.

Why do you hate the gays? They’re okay as long as they’re second in command?

Stop raking the gay guy over the coals.

Btw, he’s my front runner at the moment. And they fact that you hate him because he’s gay is just gravy

Who you trying to fool? My 13 yo daughter would crush trump in a debate. Besides, I think it’s very low odds that trump will even agree to any debates, assuming he makes it to the general as the GOP nominee.
I guess somebody didn't watch trump destroy hills in the debates last time

I'm not running for POTUS. And no company I've ever worked with has advocated denying immigrants food and care.

Nor have I hosted a fundraiser for employees of a company that has advocated those things.[/QUO

calm down Gloria, they crossed the border illegally

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT