ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Big Ten Conference Opponents released

Apr 8, 2003
ROSEMONT, Ill. — The Big Ten Conference revealed a breakdown of all 14 schools’ conference opponents for the 2021-22 Big Ten men’s basketball season on Thursday. Conference teams will compete in a 20-game conference schedule, playing seven teams both home and away and six teams once (three home and three away).

Below is the breakdown of each team’s conference opponents. Dates, times and television information will be announced at a later date. The season will conclude with the 25th annual Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament (March 9-13) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

2021-22 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Opponents

ILLINOIS

Home & Away – Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers

Home Only – Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Away Only – Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska

INDIANA

Home & Away – Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Home Only – Illinois, Michigan, Rutgers

Away Only – Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern

IOWA

Home & Away – Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue

Home Only – Indiana, Michigan State, Northwestern

Away Only – Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin

MARYLAND

Home & Away – Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers

Home Only – Minnesota, Penn State, Wisconsin

Away Only – Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue

MICHIGAN

Home & Away – Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

Home Only – Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern

Away Only – Indiana, Penn State, Wisconsin

MICHIGAN STATE

Home & Away – Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State, Wisconsin

Home Only – Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue

Away Only – Iowa, Ohio State, Rutgers

MINNESOTA

Home & Away – Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Home Only – Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers

Away Only – Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska

NEBRASKA

Home & Away – Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Home Only – Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota

Away Only – Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue

NORTHWESTERN

Home & Away – Illinois, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue

Home Only – Indiana, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Away Only – Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State

OHIO STATE

Home & Away – Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin

Home Only – Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern

Away Only – Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers

PENN STATE

Home & Away – Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers

Home Only – Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue

Away Only – Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin

PURDUE

Home & Away – Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Home Only – Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State

Away Only – Michigan State, Minnesota, Penn State

RUTGERS

Home & Away – Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Home Only – Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State

Away Only – Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern

WISCONSIN

Home & Away – Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

Home Only – Iowa, Michigan, Penn State

Away Only – Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Play Wisconsin twice and we would be playing all of our conference rivals twice......wish they would have scheduled it that way.

If that happens, it will because half the team became ineligible due to grades....when was the last time more then one player flunked out of school during the 1st semester? Not going to happen....

What's your prediction?

10-10 is the best I can come up with.

Split with Illinois
Sweep PSU, Minnesota and Nebraska
Get swept by Maryland, Michigan and Purdue
Win 2 of 3 at home against Indiana, MSU and Northwestern
Lose 2 of 3 on the road against OSU, Rutgers and Wisconsin

10-10 is the best I can come up with.

Split with Illinois
Sweep PSU, Minnesota and Nebraska
Get swept by Maryland, Michigan and Purdue
Win 2 of 3 at home against Indiana, MSU and Northwestern
Lose 2 of 3 on the road against OSU, Rutgers and Wisconsin
Go 5-1 win a maddening loss vs. PSU, Minn, and Neb
Go 1-5 with a great win vs. Maryland, Mich, and Purdue
9-seed, win first round, get throttled by 1-seed in second round. BAU.

If that happens, it will because half the team became ineligible due to grades....when was the last time more then one player flunked out of school during the 1st semester? Not going to happen....
Do you honestly believe that we could lose half our team and still win eight games in the Big Ten? Really? LOL

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Do you honestly believe that we could lose half our team and still win eight games in the Big Ten? Really? LOL

I've been accused many times of having a lack of reading comprehension....glad there are others out there that have the same affliction.
You're the one that stated Iowa would only win 8 out of 20 games. lame!

Lose 3 starters, including the NPOTY and a 2nd team all conference guy, and finish one game worse in conference.

Makes sense.

We will be more athletic, and where is Luka and Weezy going to be drafted in the NBA....I'm sure they will both be high first round draft choices. And the 3rd starter averaged under 8 points a game and 1.5 - 3pointrs a game and gave up on the Hawks. Big deal.
Loved Luca, and he overcome a lot of disadvantages to attain all the accolades that he achieved, but he's not irreplaceable by any means. I'm sure it will be a team effort.
Everyone predicted Iowa would not be able to replace Tyler Cook when he turned pro, just ask Legend-12. Iowa indeed played better without him.
Weezy is a quality player that if he doesn't return will be a player missed for sure but Iowa has enough wing players to compensate for his departure, if he indeed doesn't return and there has been nothing official, just speculation.
When the season is complete and the final win and loss tally is added up, then and only then will the final results be known.
Until then, all us fearless predictors are just blowing smoke in the wind. Internet BS.

• Haha
Reactions: TrianglePlace
We will be more athletic, and where is Luka and Weezy going to be drafted in the NBA....I'm sure they will both be high first round draft choices. And the 3rd starter averaged under 8 points a game and 1.5 - 3pointrs a game and gave up on the Hawks. Big deal.
Loved Luca, and he overcome a lot of disadvantages to attain all the accolades that he achieved, but he's not irreplaceable by any means. I'm sure it will be a team effort.
Everyone predicted Iowa would not be able to replace Tyler Cook when he turned pro, just ask Legend-12. Iowa indeed played better without him.
Weezy is a quality player that if he doesn't return will be a player missed for sure but Iowa has enough wing players to compensate for his departure, if he indeed doesn't return and there has been nothing official, just speculation.
When the season is complete and the final win and loss tally is added up, then and only then will the final results be known.
Until then, all us fearless predictors are just blowing smoke in the wind. Internet BS.

Who gives a shit where they will be drafted? That says nothing about how good they were in college. They were 2 of the best 8-10 players in a really good league.

I am excited about the team next year because its always fun to see new guys get a chance. Just like I was excited for 16-17 after Woodbury/Gesell/Clemmons/Uthoff all moved on. Just like that year though, NIT seems likely for next years squad.

Who gives a shit where they will be drafted? That says nothing about how good they were in college. They were 2 of the best 8-10 players in a really good league.

I am excited about the team next year because its always fun to see new guys get a chance. Just like I was excited for 16-17 after Woodbury/Gesell/Clemmons/Uthoff all moved on. Just like that year though, NIT seems likely for next years squad.
And you may be right....who knows. Me, I'll err on the plus side until I see this team on the court playing someone with a heartbeat. Love the potential though.

Reactions: BBHawk
.500... maybe 9-11, and squarely on the bubble depending on how non-con goes. Win some games they aren’t favored in and lose some they are. I think the team could take a bit to gel, and especially figure out who the go-to guy(s) will be when we need a big shot

I've been accused many times of having a lack of reading comprehension....glad there are others out there that have the same affliction.
You're the one that stated Iowa would only win 8 out of 20 games. lame!
Dummy.... you’re the one who said “if that (8-12) happens it will be because half of our team is academically ineligible”

WTF are you even taking about? 😂

I think we’ll be 8-12 at full strength.

I’ll go with 15-5 in the B1G but until I see how they mesh I’ll go with optimism as opposed to something else like 12-8
15-5 (1 win better than last year) will likely put us in the 2/3 seed category again — i.e., a top ten team nationally.

Do you honestly believe this current roster is a national top ten team if they “mesh”? Lol

Do you watch any college basketball other than Iowa games?

I predict that a lot of casual fans are going to be shocked by how big the step back will be for us.

Last edited:
Whoa. That’s like... profound, brah.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I replied to your prediction of 8-12.
My feeling is team is much more athletic and skilled and will have a better record then what you're predicting. We can insult each other until the season starts and nothing is going to change our opinions until we see the product on the court....may the best man win. Until then, it's not worth the time or effort to continue this conversation...

Are you kidding?!? If there was ever a Hawkeye player that is irreplaceable, it's Garza!
We are going to put a team on the court that is nothing but question marks. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised or maybe it will be a disastrous first real year for many of them. I don't even know how to make a prediction for a team under those circumstances, but anything over .500 would make me excited for the 22-23 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Are you kidding?!? If there was ever a Hawkeye player that is irreplaceable, it's Garza!
We are going to put a team on the court that is nothing but question marks. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised or maybe it will be a disastrous first real year for many of them. I don't even know how to make a prediction for a team under those circumstances, but anything over .500 would make me excited for the 22-23 season.
I would have thought that BUT the Murray twins and PMac are really going to make a great impact next year. It's JMHO but I think the team will be highly competitive.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
I would have thought that BUT the Murray twins and PMac are really going to make a great impact next year. It's JMHO but I think the team will be highly competitive.
Yea....agree. Why not have a better attitude about this upcoming season?

I certainly do and here's why. There are way too many examples in basketball where you just need a few good young men to be a good BB team.....maybe a bit of a learning curve but this roster has very good young talent, length and size. I don't think anyone is predicting a Top 20 team (maybe in my view?) but a team that can make the tourny,.... of course, this team has an opportunity. Why not?

Jbo's coming back with his balls from beyond the 3 or at the FT line is good for a few wins that other teams don't have a player like this. His presence will help stabilize the guard play. The talent, length and size of the front court are young but very talented. Like BB is saying the length, talent and attitude of the Murray twins and PMac, and the new transfer with JO and the young 7 footer who is talented is very exciting.

The guards with JT, JBo, Connor, Ulis and Perkins will be tough as nails as a swing player and this backcourt will get after you, play with an attitude, cover a lot of ground on the floor and will go get the ball defensively or offensively.......the whole roster will have the skills and athleticism to beat teams to the ball. Even JBo is a good rebounder.....on the glass or on the floor...and the team will protect the rim better too.

Kris blocks shots as well as Keegan and Pmac and then you have the 7 footer Mulvey who gets after the ball and seem to have good timing on the ball.......

Yea, I get it......lot's we don't know yet but that never stops BB teams from having a good/great season and I've seen enough of the talent already on the roster to be excited......I am very excited.

Last edited:
I really don't think anyone on here has really looked at the other Big Ten teams and what they lost as far as roster players. The only team that returns a significant amount of returning players is Purdue.
Almost every other team in the Big is starting over again with losses of key players . Minnesota, Penn St, and Indiana have new coaches and all these teams had major turnover in roster. No one can predict what they will bring to the table with all new players. Michigan, Illinois, Ohio St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Maryland, and of coarse Iowa also had significant losses. Then there's Northwestern and Nebraska that are still struggling to finish out of the basement of the Big.
I still feel better with Iowa's returning talent, the 2 freshman, and the portal get to make a run at the upper division of the Big despite losing the NPOTY.

It was not a really good league. The NCAA tournament proved that loud and clear.

I will preface this remark with the acknowledgment that I did indeed watch 95% of the NCAA Tournament and realize that the conference, as a whole, shit the bed. That said, my eyes, which have watched decades of college basketball, still tell me that there were a lot of excellent basketball teams in the B1G last season. Perhaps it's just stubbornness (some would say ignorance), but I won't be convinced otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT