ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Post NW thoughts (shorter)

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Not much to add, but:

• When teams are doubling I think Garza should reverse pivot to face the hoop even when close (he typically does this if pushed out to the mid-post or anything outside of 8-10 feet) to the block area. This would allow him to see the weak side which is where his options are to make the defense pay for doubling (Connor cutting to the rim or FT line, or the weak side baseline 3). If they don't double, he can still pivot into his crab position to do his normal post and counter move that he likes. He can also just shoot it from the high ball position he takes when using the Sikma move further out.
  • Connor needs to get to the FT line more off the dribble - he can do a lot of things there, whereas he can only post or reverse the ball when on the perimeter. He's a good passer in traffic but is spending most of his time outside the arc.
  • Bohannon's best attribute is his ability to shoot to 28 feet or so. This not only extends the defense (although he personally doesn't exploit the bigger gaps with penetration) but bails us out when our half court is stalled. However, it's still only worth 3 points and it's unclear how consistently we can rely on him to shoot 40% game in and game out. He definitely was the difference last night, however.
  • Garza was exploited on defense last night and not just in the pick and roll. He really struggled guarding Nance, and that NW file is a case study for anyone who thinks he can't stick on an NBA roster. I personally think he can mainly because of his determination to succeed and offensive skill set, but that was hard to watch at times last night. Nance is what I think people wanted Xavier Foster to be like on offense, but not sure he'll ever get there.
  • Still some very obvious issues on defense - seems like once every 5 posesssions someone makes a glaring mistake on rotation or just fundamentals. We are doing a good job in the other 4 however, and it's shown up in a few games. Consistency is key. Our zone rotations normally are bad until mid-January :).
  • Nunge is shooting shots he hits in practice at a high rate I assume. I can't wait for them to start going in! (Sooner rather than later hopefully).
  • Keegan is SOOOOO good. When he does make mistakes I think it is the few times he picks up his dribble on the move and has to make a decision mid air, like his baseline pass turnover. If he came to a jumpstop he'd be in much better shape. I do think the one thing he needs is another option to score when posting up against a defender who is 6'9 or 6'10". He's tended to kick out a lot early this year, although did hit a simple turn and shoot last night. He'll need a stronger move going forward. He's great though, and he always seems to be in the right spot and getting hands on the ball.
  • CJF reminds me of Bobby Hansen on his jump shot because no matter whether his lower body is still moving from a side step or off the catch, the top of his shot always looks stable and perfect.

Sikma options, in case anyone is bored and likes old film:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News