ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy downplays prospect of impeaching Biden if GOP wins House

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is downplaying the prospect of impeaching President Biden if Republicans take control of the House next year, throwing cold water on the efforts of some in the GOP who have been clamoring to impeach the president and others in the Biden administration.

“I think the country doesn’t like impeachment used for political purposes at all,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) told Punchbowl News in an interview published Wednesday. “If anyone ever rises to that occasion, you have to, but I think the country wants to heal and … start to see the system that actually works.”

Asked whether anyone in the Biden administration has risen to a level that would prompt him to consider impeachment proceedings, McCarthy told Punchbowl, “I don’t see it before me right now.”

“You watch what the Democrats did,” he added. “They all came out and said they would impeach before Trump was ever sworn in. There wasn’t a purpose for it. If you spent all that time arguing against using impeachment for political purposes, you gotta be able to sustain exactly what you said.”

In fact, while a handful of Democrats called for impeaching Donald Trump after the 2016 election, the leadership, most notably House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), did not endorse such a step until late in 2019 after Trump held up aid to Ukraine unless it investigated the Bidens.
GOP lawmakers have introduced more than a dozen impeachment resolutions targeting Biden, Vice President Harris and some high-profile Cabinet members, including Attorney General Merrick Garland, Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Those efforts have been anemic, however, and are unlikely to gain momentum without the support of the GOP House leader. Of the nine impeachment resolutions introduced against Biden since he took office, none have more than seven co-sponsors, and three have zero.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has introduced five of those articles of impeachment against Biden, including for “dereliction of duty in Afghanistan,” for “causing a national security crisis on our Southern border” and for his administration’s extension of the eviction moratorium during the coronavirus pandemic. None of Greene’s moves to impeach Biden have advanced.
Still, the issue has come up in midterm campaigns, particularly for GOP candidates who align themselves with Trump and say the two impeachment trials against the former president as lacked merit. Trump was impeached twice by the House — once in 2019 on charges that he abused his office and obstructed Congress in his actions with Ukraine and a second time in 2021 over accusations that he incited the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 of that year.

Both times Trump was acquitted by the Senate, and both trials sparked talk of political retribution from Republican lawmakers.

“I believe there’s a lot of pressure on Republicans to have that vote, to put that legislation forward and to have that vote,” Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” last month. “I think that is something that some folks are considering.”
In January, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said on his podcast that he thought Republicans would impeach Biden “whether it’s justified or not.”
“That’s not how impeachment is meant to work, but I think the Democrats crossed that line,” Cruz said. “I think there’ll be enormous pressure on a Republican House to begin impeachment proceedings.”

Efforts to impeach senior Biden administration officials have gained slightly more support from GOP lawmakers: A resolution targeting Mayorkas, over alleged mismanagement of the U.S.-Mexico border, has 31 co-sponsors. Another aimed at Blinken, over his role in the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, has 14 co-sponsors.
According to an analysis by Axios, Republicans have introduced impeachment resolutions against Biden and his administration at a far faster pace than Democrats did during Trump’s term in office.

Reactions: nu2u
IF the Republicans win a House majority and IF their majority is a slim margin, McCarthy will be at the mercy of the MAGA caucus to accomplish anything of substance/importance. At that point, they just as wel have Trump himself set the agenda.

Reactions: lucas80
Why would Republicans want to waste any time on impeaching Joe? He is already likely to be a lame duck after the midterms when Newsome and probably a couple others put their hat in the ring to primary him.

Reactions: ihhawk
Why would Republicans want to waste any time on impeaching Joe? He is already likely to be a lame duck after the midterms when Newsome and probably a couple others put their hat in the ring to primary him.
Rs sure as shit don't want a black woman in office either.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Rs sure as shit don't want a black woman in office either.
Certainly not Kamala ... I hear Ds saying that also. She could not muster up one D delegate in 2020.

I bet you might be surprised how popular Condi Rice would be if she ran for the Rs. Great background and can think on her feet. No word salad with her.

Need a high crime or misdemeanor. Being incompetent or an asshole is neither.

Also, what would it accomplish? We would end up with Harris, who would probably be even more dangerous than whomever is pulling the strings now.

Also, what would it accomplish? We would end up with Harris, who would probably be even more dangerous than whomever is pulling the strings now.

I am happy with him. Just getting a transportation bill is a big deal. The Republicans cant even pass basic legislation for regular governmental function.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is downplaying the prospect of impeaching President Biden if Republicans take control of the House next year, throwing cold water on the efforts of some in the GOP who have been clamoring to impeach the president and others in the Biden administration.

“I think the country doesn’t like impeachment used for political purposes at all,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) told Punchbowl News in an interview published Wednesday. “If anyone ever rises to that occasion, you have to, but I think the country wants to heal and … start to see the system that actually works.”

Asked whether anyone in the Biden administration has risen to a level that would prompt him to consider impeachment proceedings, McCarthy told Punchbowl, “I don’t see it before me right now.”

“You watch what the Democrats did,” he added. “They all came out and said they would impeach before Trump was ever sworn in. There wasn’t a purpose for it. If you spent all that time arguing against using impeachment for political purposes, you gotta be able to sustain exactly what you said.”

In fact, while a handful of Democrats called for impeaching Donald Trump after the 2016 election, the leadership, most notably House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), did not endorse such a step until late in 2019 after Trump held up aid to Ukraine unless it investigated the Bidens.
GOP lawmakers have introduced more than a dozen impeachment resolutions targeting Biden, Vice President Harris and some high-profile Cabinet members, including Attorney General Merrick Garland, Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Those efforts have been anemic, however, and are unlikely to gain momentum without the support of the GOP House leader. Of the nine impeachment resolutions introduced against Biden since he took office, none have more than seven co-sponsors, and three have zero.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has introduced five of those articles of impeachment against Biden, including for “dereliction of duty in Afghanistan,” for “causing a national security crisis on our Southern border” and for his administration’s extension of the eviction moratorium during the coronavirus pandemic. None of Greene’s moves to impeach Biden have advanced.
Still, the issue has come up in midterm campaigns, particularly for GOP candidates who align themselves with Trump and say the two impeachment trials against the former president as lacked merit. Trump was impeached twice by the House — once in 2019 on charges that he abused his office and obstructed Congress in his actions with Ukraine and a second time in 2021 over accusations that he incited the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 of that year.

Both times Trump was acquitted by the Senate, and both trials sparked talk of political retribution from Republican lawmakers.

“I believe there’s a lot of pressure on Republicans to have that vote, to put that legislation forward and to have that vote,” Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” last month. “I think that is something that some folks are considering.”
In January, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said on his podcast that he thought Republicans would impeach Biden “whether it’s justified or not.”
“That’s not how impeachment is meant to work, but I think the Democrats crossed that line,” Cruz said. “I think there’ll be enormous pressure on a Republican House to begin impeachment proceedings.”

Efforts to impeach senior Biden administration officials have gained slightly more support from GOP lawmakers: A resolution targeting Mayorkas, over alleged mismanagement of the U.S.-Mexico border, has 31 co-sponsors. Another aimed at Blinken, over his role in the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, has 14 co-sponsors.
According to an analysis by Axios, Republicans have introduced impeachment resolutions against Biden and his administration at a far faster pace than Democrats did during Trump’s term in office.

I've said this before, MTG is going to peg McCarthy if he doesn't do as she says. I doubt he even gets to be Speaker, and if he does it will be for 2 years, or less. Nothing will show the middle of America just how worthless the GQP is if they impeach Biden, and how they deserve to be run out in 2024 if this is their focus.

I've said this before, MTG is going to peg McCarthy if he doesn't do as she says. I doubt he even gets to be Speaker, and if he does it will be for 2 years, or less. Nothing will show the middle of America just how worthless the GQP is if they impeach Biden, and how they deserve to be run out in 2024 if this is their focus.

That is some visual.

We just went through this with the 2020 election! Someone needs to tell Rs they can't impeached based on their feelings. They need actual proof crimes.

Reactions: Ree4
Too bad the dems aren't as thoughtful. They loved the idea of impeachment for political reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I am happy with him. Just getting a transportation bill is a big deal. The Republicans cant even pass basic legislation for regular governmental function.
Their healthcare bill to replace ObamaCare is really close to being completed. Any day now......any day. It's really a terrific bill too! Everyone included...and cheaper, too! A perfect bill....

Certainly not Kamala ... I hear Ds saying that also. She could not muster up one D delegate in 2020.

I bet you might be surprised how popular Condi Rice would be if she ran for the Rs. Great background and can think on her feet. No word salad with her.
Word salad??? Holy shit that woman can lie. NO THANKS voting for a person who got thousands of service members killed because of her lies on a BS war. I despise her.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Too bad the dems aren't as thoughtful. They loved the idea of impeachment for political reasons.
Yeah, Trump was really on the up and up. You believe him over members of our military and intelligence communities. Again, you completely dismiss the fact that the attack on the Capitol was 100% because of him. How does NONE of this register with you guys??

You lost me with "restoring decency and competency to the WH". I had high hopes for that when Biden was elected. It hasn't happened and is arguably just as bad or worse.
That's a you problem, then. It is refreshing to wake up in the morning and see that Joe Biden hasn't rage tweeted about Rosie O'Donnell. It's refreshing that no cabinet members or top aides have resigned in scandal or are facing investigations. It's nice that Biden hasn't monetized the WH. It's nice that he hasn't skipped out on remembrance ceremonies for our war dead because it was sprinkling. Its nice that Biden hasn't tied aid to an ally to them digging up dirt on a rival... It goes on and on.

I think when he told the afgan president (guy receiving billions of aid) to lie about it's status it was worthy of impeachment.
Not sure if it's worth going after as he is a lame duck..

Your understanding of how impeachment works is off. Ask yourself: Did we end up with Pence after Trump was impeached twice?

Disregard if you were attempting humor.

That's a you problem, then. It is refreshing to wake up in the morning and see that Joe Biden hasn't rage tweeted about Rosie O'Donnell. It's refreshing that no cabinet members or top aides have resigned in scandal or are facing investigations. It's nice that Biden hasn't monetized the WH. It's nice that he hasn't skipped out on remembrance ceremonies for our war dead because it was sprinkling. Its nice that Biden hasn't tied aid to an ally to them digging up dirt on a rival... It goes on and on.
Joe's issues aren't tweeting, but has his own issues, even if they aren't daily. We could get into tit for tat, but I don't measure Joe based on the low bar set by Trump. Joe is an embarrassment. His anger issues are becoming more apparent, even though they are largely ignored by the media.

You lost me with "restoring decency and competency to the WH". I had high hopes for that when Biden was elected. It hasn't happened and is arguably just as bad or worse.

Thats ridiculous. He properly staffs the administrative branch. The last Republican did not and had constant turnover of the staff he did have.

Thats ridiculous. He properly staffs the administrative branch. The last Republican did not and had constant turnover of the staff he did have.
IF you think Joe Biden is doing the staffing, you are delusional. Reportedly Jill Biden is participating more than Joe.

I will agree that administration staffing is way better than what we had under Trump, but I keep wondering why Trump is the standard. Can't Dems do better than that?

Oh, and you apparently misinterpreted the competency and decency reference. I'm not sure why, but I'll spell it out for you. That was in reference to Joe Biden. He's not competent, and his anger issues and behavior around young girls aren't really all that Presidential.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
IF you think Joe Biden is doing the staffing, you are delusional. Reportedly Jill Biden is participating more than Joe.

I will agree that administration staffing is way better than what we had under Trump, but I keep wondering why Trump is the standard. Can't Dems do better than that?

Oh, and you apparently misinterpreted the competency and decency reference. I'm not sure why, but I'll spell it out for you. That was in reference to Joe Biden. He's not competent, and his anger issues and behavior around young girls aren't really all that Presidential.

Weak sauce. You have no idea, you are projecting. Dems are doing better than that BTW. We have a transportation bill. You know, basic functioning of government. Trump is the Republican standard now. Like it or not. That bill will impact a lot of people. Awkward public events impact no one.

Link to Jill Biden running the show and these anger issues you speak of? If you think he's inappropriate around young girls you've been reading too much of Biggrey's drivel.

Weak sauce. You have no idea, you are projecting. Dems are doing better than that BTW. We have a transportation bill. You know, basic functioning of government. Trump is the Republican standard now. Like it or not. That bill will impact a lot of people. Awkward public events impact no one.
I'm not projecting. It's all observable for anyone who is objective.

I'd like to point to a pretty good political operative, James Carville, and use his famous (and true) words to dispute your premise. The economy isn't well. Energy policy is deeply flawed. Foreign leaders have no respect for Biden. Heck, there really aren't all that many Dems in Congress that want Biden to campaign with them or on their behalf.

You can deflect if you want, but it's all the same package when it comes to Biden.

I'm not projecting. It's all observable for anyone who is objective.

I'd like to point to a pretty good political operative, James Carville, and use his famous (and true) words to dispute your premise. The economy isn't well. Energy policy is deeply flawed. Foreign leaders have no respect for Biden. Heck, there really aren't all that many Dems in Congress that want Biden to campaign with them or on their behalf.

You can deflect if you want, but it's all the same package when it comes to Biden.

So if the economy was booming, Biden would somehow not be old, etc. in your mind?

ADVERTISEMENT