ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy + Pelosi

seam

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2002
Kevin McCarthy had allegedly implored Nancy Pelosi to partner with him as he hopes to lead the majority Republicans in the US House Of Representatives.
When issuing the invitation to Pelosi, McCarthy admitted that since his election to the US House in 2007, his party has never initiated any significant legislation, and he would be very appreciative if Pelosi would help to patiently guide him through a process that he has no mental paradigm for. Pelosi is still considering the offer.

Kevin McCarthy had allegedly implored Nancy Pelosi to partner with him as he hopes to lead the majority Republicans in the US House Of Representatives.
When issuing the invitation to Pelosi, McCarthy admitted that since his election to the US House in 2007, his party has never initiated any significant legislation, and he would be very appreciative if Pelosi would help to patiently guide him through a process that he has no mental paradigm for. Pelosi is still considering the offer.
I would need to be a fly on that wall to give the story any credence. Pelosi can afford to sit back and, perhaps, pick off moderate R's to partner with to pass substantive legislation - it would require a handful and the wackos in the R caucus may drive some her way. She has no need to play with McCarthy.

giphy.gif
tenor.gif
tumblr_mf3cquf6Gc1qzjuf9o1_400.gif
giphy.gif

I would need to be a fly on that wall to give the story any credence. Pelosi can afford to sit back and, perhaps, pick off moderate R's to partner with to pass substantive legislation - it would require a handful and the wackos in the R caucus may drive some her way. She has no need to play with McCarthy.
So the Speaker has no control on what legislation (deemed ‘substantive’ or not) comes to the floor?

I don’t think you’ll find Republicans working with Pelosi to pass a discharge petition and bypass the committees or Speaker.
In fact, I’ll offer that bet for the next Congress if anyone will take it.

Pelosi has announced that she will not be the House Minority Leader anyway. She plans to stay in the House but step back from being the Democratic leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIXERS24
So the Speaker has no control on what legislation (deemed ‘substantive’ or not) comes to the floor?

I don’t think you’ll find Republicans working with Pelosi to pass a discharge petition and bypass the committees or Speaker.
You could be right. But the House GOP is going to be Wacky Town and there's no doubt about that. There might be a few folks looking back at their purple districts who would rather not be tied to that in two years. It would sure be nice to see a few Republicans interested in actually governing - realizing that's a tall order. Nothing passed by the nutty GQPer's has a chance of going anywhere.

What will be fun will be watching those morans running their "investigations", issuing subpoenas, and seeing...

images

Reactions: sober_teacher

Yeah, I think nothing will happen. There will be no cooperation or reaching across the aisle.

And from another thread:

As House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy struggles in his bid to become the next House speaker, Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., said that he would be willing to reach across the aisle to elect a speaker if necessary.

Bacon plans to support McCarthy, but he said on Monday that he would work with Democrats to find a new candidate if McCarthy doesn't get enough votes, in order to keep Congress from becoming gridlocked and ineffective.

"If we have total gridlock, I'm going to work with like-minded people across the aisle to find someone agreeable for speaker," Bacon said. "We have to govern. We can't afford to let our country be stuck in neutral."

It’s not right, but yeah, both Speaker and Senate majority leader can effectively block (and shield their members from difficult votes), any legislation they don’t like.

It’s rare to have enough votes for force their hands.

Reactions: franklinman
Who made this story up?

McCarthy doesn't have a chance in hell and knows it. You know damned well he'd do anything to survive. Boehner tucked tail and ran to get away from the shithead Freedom Caucus and Ken will end up under the covers crying like a baby if he is elected Speaker.

Pelosi had the balls to keep the House in order. Good luck Rs.

It’s amazing how convinced republicans are that all these investigations are good for them - that’s only true imo if theres stuff they can use to convince enough americans in the center they’re right.

odds are, there isn’t.
And the prime time 1/6 hearings and investigation that’s been going on forever? Good or bad for Dems?

And the prime time 1/6 hearings and investigation that’s been going on forever? Good or bad for Dems?
You seriously think investigating 1/6 is equivalent to the Hunter Biden laptop?

not to mention, democrats actually passed legislation at the same time. In their first press conference after winning the house, republicans promised multiple investigations, but somehow, failed to mention any legislative priorities.

You seriously think investigating 1/6 is equivalent to the Hunter Biden laptop?

not to mention, democrats actually passed legislation at the same time. In their first press conference after winning the house, republicans promised multiple investigations, but somehow, failed to mention any legislative priorities.
You said investigations were going to hurt republicans with voters. You think the subject of them is that big of a difference to the electorate? You have more faith in them than me.

You said investigations were going to hurt republicans with voters. You think the subject of them is that big of a difference to the electorate? You have more faith in them than me.

Depends on the subject. I’d argue 1/6 had some weight. Hunter is raw meat for their base but unless they find something it won’t matter to the general public.

There's no way the Republicans can author, produce and legislate complicated legislation, such as The Clean Air Act, or Affordable Care Act. They don't have the intelligence; skill sets or ability to even access outsources.

It's a vacuum of incapability operating in a national historical treasure.

ADVERTISEMENT