ADVERTISEMENT

McConnell says national abortion ban ‘possible’

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
"If the leaked opinion became the final opinion, legislative bodies — not only at the state level but at the federal level — certainly could legislate in that area," McConnell told USA Today when asked if a national abortion ban is "worthy of debate."
"And if this were the final decision, that was the point that it should be resolved one way or another in the legislative process. So yeah, it's possible," he concluded.

"With regard to the abortion issue, I think it's pretty clear where Senate Republicans stand," McConnell said. "And if and when the court makes a final decision, I expect everybody will be more definitive. But I don't think it's much secret where senator Republicans stand on that issue."

Reactions: HawkFan1298
It's almost like Republicans are telling us what they are going to do.
We should believe them. They want to impose Sharia Law upon the rest of us.
Again, extreme when the extreme is unnecessary.

Reactions: Hawk_82
That will be never. He can't get past the 60 votes to end debate, and if he did it would not pass the House. If that did happen, Biden would veto it. This is just fear mongering by Dems searching for something to rescue them in November.
He. Literally. Said. He. Wants. To. Do. It. Just admit it. Rs don't give two shits about states rights. Complete liars.

That will be never. He can't get past the 60 votes to end debate, and if he did it would not pass the House. If that did happen, Biden would veto it. This is just fear mongering by Dems searching for something to rescue them in November.
Yep. Excellent journalism. Ask him a technical question you already know the answer to and spin the wording to incite fear in the population.

Reactions: ICHerky
What happened to the roe v Wade will never be overturned when fat orange **** got his justice’s? Same thing. Sit here and say it’ll never happen, an outright ban, bullshit. Republicans are destroying this country. Just like Russia wants to be Nazi Germany, republicans want to live life like it’s the 1950s. Perfect for the white American Christian family.

I’m a little more pragmatic here. I think this is McConnell sending a warning shot about the filibuster rule. Both sides need to be careful here because getting rid of the filibuster for one thing is going to lead to policy that the other side abhors when the power shifts.

Abortion will be the reason he flips on the filibuster and gets rid of the 60 vote requirement.

I’m a little more pragmatic here. I think this is McConnell sending a warning shot about the filibuster rule. Both sides need to be careful here because getting rid of the filibuster for one thing is going to lead to policy that the other side abhors when the power shifts.
I think McConnell will remove the filibuster if it's standing in the way of national abortion legislation

We won't have a Republican president in 2 years. Jebus, you're so desperate you'll flat out lie.
Your posts in this thread make zero sense. First you were ignorant to the possibility that the Rs could remove the filibuster. Now you claim that the Rs taking the WH in two years is a lie. You seem completely oblivious to how any of this actually works.

It reads to me that the GOP temperature has been taken, a plan is being developed and that they will move forward when their voter base gives them the numbers. This is the same type of answer he gives anytime he doesn't want to telegraph the play. The GOP has been working a multi-level plan for over a decade, they will not abandon the goal no matter how much gaslighting randos on the internet want to produce.

It is interesting how the tenor of HORT conservatives changes based on whose ox is getting gored. With Trump and McConnell it's been an issue of "calm down, he didn't explicitly say that thing", but flip the script and all manner of imagination comes into play. It's like selective avoidance of being critical thinking.

Your posts in this thread make zero sense. First you were ignorant to the possibility that the Rs could remove the filibuster. Now you claim that the Rs taking the WH in two years is a lie. You seem completely oblivious to how any of this actually works.
Twist away, Red. I said removing the filibuster does no good as it would be vetoed. I also said there would be no R president in two years, and there will not. The next inauguration is in 2025.

What McConnell is doing is warning the Dems against trying to remove the filibuster. And what Dems are doing is a desperate attempt to create an issue for November.

• Haha
Reactions: IAHawk2011
Twist away, Red. I said removing the filibuster does no good as it would be vetoed. I also said there would be no R president in two years, and there will not. The next inauguration is in 2025.

What McConnell is doing is warning the Dems against trying to remove the filibuster. And what Dems are doing is a desperate attempt to create an issue for November.
Are you saying in 2025, if GOP has both houses and the presidency, Mitch won't remove the filibuster to pass anti abortion legislation if given the chance?

Reactions: Tom Paris

You and the Rs have zero credibility to claim this. First, Mitch crapped all over the court for a full year keeping a pick empty. Then Mitch went back on his no picks during an election year bullshit. And finally all three of Trump's picks lied about Roe during their confirmation hearings. Rs have lied every step of the way. They and you are here. GOP has zero credibility over abortion or the Supreme Court.

Are you saying in 2025, if GOP has both houses and the presidency, Mitch won't remove the filibuster to pass anti abortion legislation if given the chance?
That's not in the foreseeable future, its unlikely that will ever happen for several reasons. Trump will not be re-elected, so some Dem is probably the president. The House will probably be in Dem control, and even if the Rs control all three there will be sufficient opposition to removing the filibuster that it will not happen by Republican hands.

Regardless, It's not germane to the 2022 elections.

Shoot, if all that comes to pass, McConnell will remove the filibuster for much less than anti-abortion legislation. Mumble something about how voters have decided, opposition party committed to obstructing progress, boom. Gone.

You and the Rs have zero credibility to claim this. First, Mitch crapped all over the court for a full year keeping a pick empty. Then Mitch went back on his no picks during an election year bullshit. And finally all three of Trump's picks lied about Roe during their confirmation hearings. Rs have lied every step of the way. They and you are here. GOP has zero credibility over abortion or the Supreme Court.
Nice diatribe with a focus on ignoring current reality. Typical Red post.

The only person lying here is you. Quit putting words in his mouth.
You seem to have forgotten the SCOTUS justices lying during their confirmation hearings.

Seems like the GOP is about to accomplish their long term goal of destroying our democracy and its institutions. The SC has lost its independence and autonomy, the Senate has become a tool of the Federalist Society with its arbitrary rules of approving justices, our previous president has mounted an insurrectionist attack on the whole of Congress with the assistance of at least a dozen or so House members embedded in the planning, and, aided by a spineless House Speaker wannabe, and to cap it off, GOP led state legislatures have set in motion a series of laws that will aid in the overturning of any presidential election result they don't approve of.

All that's missing is GWB's Mission Accomplished banner.

That's not in the foreseeable future, its unlikely that will ever happen for several reasons. Trump will not be re-elected, so some Dem is probably the president. The House will probably be in Dem control, and even if the Rs control all three there will be sufficient opposition to removing the filibuster that it will not happen by Republican hands.

If my goal is to prevent radical Republicans from removing rights from my wife, then yes the 2022 elections are important.

I very much doubt this. The GOP is just as opportunistic about the value of precedence, if not more so, than the Dems have shown themselves to be.

You seem to have forgotten the SCOTUS justices lying during their confirmation hearings.

Seems like the GOP is about to accomplish their long term goal of destroying our democracy and its institutions. The SC has lost its independence and autonomy, the Senate has become a tool of the Federalist Society with its arbitrary rules of approving justices, our previous president has mounted an insurrectionist attack on the whole of Congress with the assistance of at least a dozen or so House members embedded in the planning, and, aided by a spineless House Speaker wannabe, and to cap it off, GOP led state legislatures have set in motion a series of laws that will aid in the overturning of any presidential election result they don't approve of.

Link to lies? Because the analyses I've read say they talked around it and did not lie. Prove they lied.

I very much doubt this. The GOP is just as opportunistic about the value of precedence, if not more so, than the Dems have shown themselves to be.
Nah, both parties removed one level of filibuster, with the Dems starting it. And this is the big one. Not gonna happen from either side, imo.

If Republicans have control of the House, Senate and Presidency in 2025, McConnell would absolutely get rid of the filibuster to pass national abortion legislation.

But like any true Republican, he will blame the Democrats for it, claiming that the Republicans had to get rid of the filibuster because the Democrats will do it first if given the chance.

Let’s try staying on topic please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT