ADVERTISEMENT

McConnell Warns Against ‘Radical’ Supreme Court Pick

I'd like to think you're right about it not meaning much, but with the Garland nomination and then the Trump nominees it seems that playing games with Justices is now going to be super-political.
Oh it will be a circus more than likely. It's what we've come to expect unfortunately.

I think this is going to be a pretty calm confirmation compared to the last 2....that's my bet. Cons still have a 6-3 majority so it's really not worth going nuts over and they'll be more concerned with the mid-terms...don't want to go off the rails and give the Dems any ammo.

Joe already gave them their talking point on this for the mid-terms anyway.

Dem president with rep senate majority is different circumstance than rep president and senate.
Why waste the time in the senate to turn garland down?

SC Justices have been confirmed many times in the past when the Senate was controlled by the other party. Don’t pretend what Mitch did was normal.

7 months before an election. Garland deserved his up or down vote. McConnell and Chuck created a new rule in order to keep Republicans from having to publicly vote down a qualified candidate for the SCOTUS. He also did it in a naked power play.
The result of McConnell's machinations is a public that increasingly sees the SCOTUS as political, a court that is eager to overturn settled law, and a court that is increasingly at odds with the opinions of the citizens.

Worse than that. Scalia died in February.
I don't understand why Mitch is making a big deal here. We all know he's going to vote to confirm no matter who it is. It will be one radical to replace another radical. The make up of the court won't change. This is really a big nothing burger. If anything it could give BiteMe a little momentum going into the midterms.

You know that Breyer was considered moderate, if liberal leaning Justice right? To call him a radical is laughable.
So you think he would have been confirmed?
Wow

Well he’d previously been easily confirmed to the District Court (DC?) and last year was comfortably confirmed as AG, so yeah. Especially since several of the GOP Senators were on record as publicly complimenting him.

So the opposition party hasn’t previously refused to hold hearings when that’s happened before, thanks for confirming.
Now research when those seats came open. How many times a seat was held open for a year?

Mitch admitted as much after the fact that he was playing politics.
Yes he was playing politics. What's wrong with that? It's allowed. What he did was not unprecedented. Mitch was not obligated to get a nominee through before the election.

Ummm....only one time in 10 did the president get a nominee through. Obama knew he wasn't getting Garland through. Cry about it all you want. It happened. Deal with it.

What are you more butt hurt about? That Garland didn't get appointed or that the Dimocrats got played by the Turtle?

I'm starting to wonder if Sinema isn't going to create another problem for the confirmation as she is likely bitter about being censured by the AZ Dem Party?

That said, it should put the spotlight on some GOP Senators up for reelection in contested States.
Around 5 cons will confirm the dem pick.

Reactions: cigaretteman
That would be very good. Republicans win on this topic almost every time. No one wants more radical members of the courts whether it's appeals or the Supreme Court. We've seen the disastrous situations in court settings where a majority of judges have been appointed by democrat governors and Presidents.
Names of said democratic appointees?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yes he was playing politics. What's wrong with that? It's allowed. What he did was not unprecedented. Mitch was not obligated to get a nominee through before the election.

Ummm....only one time in 10 did the president get a nominee through. Obama knew he wasn't getting Garland through. Cry about it all you want. It happened. Deal with it.

What are you more butt hurt about? That Garland didn't get appointed or that the Dimocrats got played by the Turtle?
No, refusing to so much as hold a confirmation hearing was very much unprecedented. I’d have understood had this happened in late summer or fall, but Scalia died in February. blocking a nomination for an entire year WAS unprecedented.

Reactions: RileyHawk
No, refusing to so much as hold a confirmation hearing was very much unprecedented. I’d have understood had this happened in late summer or fall, but Scalia died in February. blocking a nomination for an entire year WAS unprecedented.
Remind me which Article in the Constitution spells out the time table that the Senate has to use to hold confirmation hearings. There has to be something in there that states when a SC seat comes up before a certain date in an election year the Senate must hold confirmation hearings in a timely manner.

Your answer is b) to my question btw, butt hurt because the Turtle outmaneuvered the Dumocrats on this one.

#separationofpowers

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Remind me which Article in the Constitution spells out the time table that the Senate has to use to hold confirmation hearings. There has to be something in there that states when a SC seat comes up before a certain date in an election year the Senate must hold confirmation hearings in a timely manner.

Your answer is b) to my question btw, butt hurt because the Turtle outmaneuvered the Dumocrats on this one.

#separationofpowers

Quit dodging the issue. The role of the Senate when presented with a judicial nominee is to “advice and consent”. They did neither in 2016.

And please, there was no maneuvering here. Mitch just refused to hold hearings, rolling the dice that a republican would win in November. Had Hillary won, Garland would have been confirmed by thanksgiving.

Reactions: mstp1992

McConnell warns to stay away from food dish; prepared to fight other turtles for last piece of celery​

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Quit dodging the issue. The role of the Senate when presented with a judicial nominee is to “advice and consent”. They did neither in 2016.

And please, there was no maneuvering here. Mitch just refused to hold hearings, rolling the dice that a republican would win in November. Had Hillary won, Garland would have been confirmed by thanksgiving.
Advise and consent is exactly what the Turtle did. He advised the President not to submit a nomination before the general election because he would not consent until after. Maybe Hillary should've brought her A game that election instead of phoning it in.

Advise and consent is exactly what the Turtle did. He advised the President not to submit a nomination before the general election because he would not consent until after. Maybe Hillary should've brought her A game that election instead of phoning it in.
So one man is allowed to torpedo a judicial nomination? That’s not how it’s supposed to work.

Pretty sure the President only has to "consult" congress (someone more educated than me can expand). Why can't Biden simply send the name over and if Republicans refuse to give them a hearing say "ok, well you had your chance. This is the Justice now" ????
Because that’s not how it works. If it was, Garland would be on SCOTUS and one of Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Coney-Barrett wouldn’t be.

I will say this for McConnell - it was a hell of a gamble. At the time Garland was nominated, Trump was strong, but not yet the candidate and most still expected him to lose to HRC. If that had panned out, I’m quite certain the next justice nominated would have been more left than Garland. It worked out, but it’s not like at the point Garland was nominated that Trump was a guarantee.

Because that’s not how it works. If it was, Garland would be on SCOTUS and one of Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Coney-Barrett wouldn’t be.
No that's what it says...I'm curious if it could be pulled off.

You ask your consultant to give an opinion and they decline to hear you. At what point is that operating in bad faith?

No that's what it says...I'm curious if it could be pulled off.

You ask your consultant to give an opinion and they decline to hear you. At what point is that operating in bad faith?
I guess it could be pursued, but I can’t imagine that it would fly to give a lifetime appointment on the nation’s highest court via basically exec order.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I guess it could be pursued, but I can’t imagine that it would fly to give a lifetime appointment on the nation’s highest court via basically exec order.
Right but that's not what it would be. The nomination would be presented. If there is a refusal to consider and vote.... Anyway silly thought experiment. What do our local lawer say?

I think this is going to be a pretty calm confirmation compared to the last 2....that's my bet. Cons still have a 6-3 majority so it's really not worth going nuts over and they'll be more concerned with the mid-terms...don't want to go off the rails and give the Dems any ammo.

Joe already gave them their talking point on this for the mid-terms anyway.
I hope you're right. But I suspect the Rs will manufacture all kinds of excuses to not even hold a vote. They will paint the next justice as the worst nominee ever. I hope I am wrong on this account.

Right but that's not what it would be. The nomination would be presented. If there is a refusal to consider and vote.... Anyway silly thought experiment. What do our local lawer say?
Yeah it wouldn't work. The senate has every ability to do exactly what Mitch did. The senate doesn't work for the president and that move by Mitch is the separation of powers working exactly the way it is supposed.to work

Sort of like the democrats in a hearing getting a crazy woman to make an unsubstantiated claim of rape and sexual abuse at a high school party decades ago to sink a nomination. Yes it is allowed but it sure as hell didn't work out for them

I hope you're right. But I suspect the Rs will manufacture all kinds of excuses to not even hold a vote. They will paint the next justice as the worst nominee ever. I hope I am wrong on this account.
Doesn’t make political sense with this nomination……but we’ll see.

Yeah Moscow Mitch can take a hike on this one.
After the Garland and Trump fiascos I’m of the opinion the court should be elected, or term limits.

If they want to rule politically….fine….but then you’re subject to the will of the people….

Yeah it wouldn't work. The senate has every ability to do exactly what Mitch did. The senate doesn't work for the president and that move by Mitch is the separation of powers working exactly the way it is supposed.to work

Sort of like the democrats in a hearing getting a crazy woman to make an unsubstantiated claim of rape and sexual abuse at a high school party decades ago to sink a nomination. Yes it is allowed but it sure as hell didn't work out for them
Kavanaugh is a drunken sexual pervert, and you know it. It’s why Trump nominated him.

So one man is allowed to torpedo a judicial nomination? That’s not how it’s supposed to work.
If I may quote Obama. "Elections have consequences." Mitch was the majority Senate leader. That position carries a little bit of weight. There are rules the Senate adopts for parliamentary procedures. If what the Turtle did was so egregious the Chuckster should change them. But guess what, Schumer won't because he'd do the same thing if he were in the same position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT