ADVERTISEMENT

McCrae Hagarty visiting 10/1

Apr 8, 2003
I spoke with Waverly-Shell Rock's McCrae Hagarty since he's taking an unofficial visit to Iowa for football this weekend. The Hawkeyes are showing interest as a fullback.

Hagarty told me he's also scheduled official visits for wrestling to Iowa State on 9/17 and Iowa on 10/1. Ohio State is also looking to schedule an official visit. Projects at 197 in college.

I suspect October 1 will be a big weekend for men’s wrestling recruiting. Any visitors besides Hagarty known to be lined up for October 1?

Fullback is the ultimate bad ass position …. you’re sent out there to be violent……that mindset translates to the mat well

guessing he’s a Hwy prospect if he’s big enough to play fullback?

Reactions: Grip220
Fullback is the ultimate bad ass position …. you’re sent out there to be violent……that mindset translates to the mat well

guessing he’s a Hwy prospect if he’s big enough to play fullback?
No, he is not big enough for heavyweight.

Reactions: natchrlman
Are we to believe Franklin might not be the long term guy?
I don't think they're dissimilar level recruits. That seems to be the current strategy at future 197, bringing in some solid but not can't miss guys and let them compete and hope the last man standing is leveled up.

Are we to believe Franklin might not be the long term guy?
I'm not personally sure we have a guy in house to be a title contending level 197 after Warner. Neither Hill or Franklin were that level of a recruit and l think Hill is too big and will be a heavy. Franklin seems a bit dicey to hold 197 too. I like Franklin's motor but it's been a long time since he has had meaningful folkstyle matches in the mid to high 190s weight range so I don't know what we got for sure. Hagarty is basically the same level of recruit as the other two, talented but not elite blue chip. I don't think you could honestly project any of them to be AA level 197 pounders based on known information. I was impressed with Jr to be Cody Merrill this summer.

Navarro Schunke was at the game yesterday, his brother wrestles at Arizona State. Willie has him #9 overall in the ‘24 class.
I think Willie also said he is likely to play football in college. Was he there for football or wrestling?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT