ADVERTISEMENT

McDonough

D1 coaches, and particular assistants, spend a lot of time on recruiting. Matt can settle in at Cornell and concentrate on coaching. I'm sure he had (and will have) many D1 opportunities. It's no accident he went this direction.
Good call Pablow, nothing but the best for Matt.

D1 coaches, and particular assistants, spend a lot of time on recruiting. Matt can settle in at Cornell and concentrate on coaching. I'm sure he had (and will have) many D1 opportunities. It's no accident he went this direction.

I'm sure it being 15 miles from where he went to high school didn't hurt, especially if he has family nearby that can help with his young kids...

That's the best he can do?
Is that the best comment you have to offer?
How about "Welcome back to the area, Matt!" or "It's good to see a national champ coaching at an Iowa college with a great wrestling history" or "There's another national champ who could easily drop into the Hawkeye wrestling room."

There's lots of reasons why a Hawkeye national champ would want to relocate back to Eastern Iowa, and coaching openings in wrestling at any level are far and few between anywhere, particularly right now. I'd say this is much better position in the long run than an assistant job at Sacred Heart or the Citadel, etc., D1 colleges with no wrestling pedigree, and little chance to ever have one.

Great hire for my alma mater and coach Brett Hamm. Not only was highly respected Mike Duroe a former coach but my old coach (former Hawkeye) Steve Devries was pretty highly regarded as well. I hope they can continue to improve recruiting and performance with this hire.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Great for Matt and Cornell! Very happy for him! Also, didn't Terry cut his teeth in coaching at Montana State-Northern (which is NAIA)?

Reactions: nwiowahawkeye
Word on the street was he applied at several places, interviewed at a few and was not offered any positions. Possibly he just wants to be in the area. Heck, he should start a club. Those club coaches can make a bunch of money and don't work very hard......okay, maybe they do work hard but the amount of time they put in is much less than most jobs.

Should we do the math? Easy numbers. 100 kids per month. $100 per kid. $10,000 per month. Overhead? Not a lot unless you are paying other coaches and buying/leasing a facility. Lets go high here. $4000 per month in overhead. $6000 per month gross pay. $72,000 per year to coach kids wrestling.

Word on the street was he applied at several places, interviewed at a few and was not offered any positions. Possibly he just wants to be in the area. Heck, he should start a club. Those club coaches can make a bunch of money and don't work very hard......okay, maybe they do work hard but the amount of time they put in is much less than most jobs.

Should we do the math? Easy numbers. 100 kids per month. $100 per kid. $10,000 per month. Overhead? Not a lot unless you are paying other coaches and buying/leasing a facility. Lets go high here. $4000 per month in overhead. $6000 per month gross pay. $72,000 per year to coach kids wrestling.
Word on the street is better than I heard.

ADVERTISEMENT