ADVERTISEMENT

McNamara and Iowa's Offense: Consider the Rust Busted

Eliot Clough

HB Heisman
Staff
Jan 11, 2023
iowa.rivals.com
All things considered, Cade McNamara and the other offensive players we talked to today sound confident that things are moving in the right direction.

Kirk wouldn't quite go that far, but he sounded encouraged.

STORY:

Lots of season to go this year but I really see a lot of potential. Injuries can turn it upside down (but I think), the current Iowa running backs may be the best group ( most talented)Iowa has had since the 1958 team….that team ended up as the school’s only #1 end of season national ranking. There are 3-4 really talented RBs this season. The ‘58 team had 6-8 strong runners…but those guys played both sides of the ball then.

I’m not saying this IS fact… but I really see a lot it potential there this season. Jeter and Fleming could break it from any where… and Iowa used the screen pass with those two very effectively.
Even that team ended up 8-1-1… and was tied at home by Air Force….and lost at home to Bob White (aka tOSU).

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
We can throw the heck out of 5yd passes. We need to stretch the field, not sure what KB is in the doghouse for, but he needs to in the game.
I can give you an instance I observed at half time this last week. You know how the players come out of locker room and do some warm ups before kickoff? Well receivers and QBs are throwing and catching like 10 yard or 15 yard balls. Marco was throwing to a single receiver doing some footwork in the back of the end zone. KB was messing around with them and catching the return balls from the WR and flipping them to Marco. Well KB was having himself some fun and trying to do wild ass flips to Marco and hardly ever got the ball straight to him and Marco had to walk to pick the balls up off the turf. Maybe just a simple deal and usually serious as heck, but after that first half against Troy and you come out and F around warming up?? I didn't see any other WRs doing that.

I can give you an instance I observed at half time this last week. You know how the players come out of locker room and do some warm ups before kickoff? Well receivers and QBs are throwing and catching like 10 yard or 15 yard balls. Marco was throwing to a single receiver doing some footwork in the back of the end zone. KB was messing around with them and catching the return balls from the WR and flipping them to Marco. Well KB was having himself some fun and trying to do wild ass flips to Marco and hardly ever got the ball straight to him and Marco had to walk to pick the balls up off the turf. Maybe just a simple deal and usually serious as heck, but after that first half against Troy and you come out and F around warming up?? I didn't see any other WRs doing that.
There are reasons he's no longer at OSU...believing his road to the NFL goes through Iowa City, is not one of them.........

I read the article.

I am glad that Cade feels healthy.

I still have no confidence in the offense against Big Ten competition. And by confidence, I mean believing they are capable of average productivity.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Send Wetjen straight down the field at least once each half.
Until Iowa shows any desire let alone ability to stretch the field, teams are going to continue to stack the box and try to shut down the run game.

Good defenses will be able to easily.

Players expressing confidence is not a bad thing.
Results on the field against conference competition is what matters.
If the O puts up 300+ yds and scores at least 3 TDs (meaning not gifted by the D getting them the ball inside the red zone or an outright D acore) themselves then they will have shown something.

that's an article for a Fr QB. He's shot. and he is the best they have apparently. look at the plays they are calling for a 6th year million dollar NIL P5 QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT