ADVERTISEMENT

McSorley

Wat? They ran for 3.3 per rush. Threw for 4.9 per pass. Scored 17 points.

The defense was fine last night. The offense sucked. Same story.

PSU had their best RB going off for close to 5ypc, so you are ignoring that statistic. They did not score a lot, overall defense played pretty well, but got gashed a little in run game. The PSU QB was not anywhere close to McSorely level in pass game...and PSU didn't have Saquon Barkley...so the quality of the PSU offense wasn't that great vs past PSU teams that have come into Kinnick.
Inept Iowa Offense lost the game for Iowa and mostly because OL got dominated by PSU DL.

Wat? They ran for 3.3 per rush. Threw for 4.9 per pass. Scored 17 points.

The defense was fine last night. The offense sucked. Same story.
coulda easily been 24...just sayin.. WTF is up with these AARP refs My gawd..
9470986.jpg

PSU had their best RB going off for close to 5ypc, so you are ignoring that statistic.

No, I'm not.

PSU's best back averaged 4.6 per carry. Iowa's best back averaged 4.4 per carry.

Doesn't change the fact that PSU rushed for 3.3 per carry and Iowa rushed for 2.3 per carry.

"Their best RB did this" is a terrible argument in this game. You should remove "Logic" from your name.

It turns out it wasn't McSorley. Our defense will allow any QB that is mobile to run at will and beat us.
I'm so tired of watching 3rd and long and our defense letting the QB run for a first down. Our linebackers are not good.
Clearly you are challenged, so I'll just leave you be :)

I read on Twitter from Morehouse I believe that Iowa lost two games to teams who have better talent top to bottom then Iowa has. I would agree with that assessment. The defense is not the problem overall, however I was disappointed when they let Ped State run right up the gut to run the clock out and end the game. Iowa has always been the type of team that against top teams must play a complete clean game to win, and the past two games the offense was far from clean. However, who would have thought that as bad as the OL has looked the past two weeks, along with the turnovers Iowa still had a chance to win both games. So, either Michigan and Ped State are not very good, or Iowa isn't as bad as a lot of people here think. You can't give up 8 sacks and 4 turnovers to very many teams and have a chance to win like they did at Michigan, and give up the sacks, turn the ball over and not convert when you have the chance and beat many teams like they did against Ped State. Not making excuses, but Iowa beat themselves that past two weeks with mistakes which can be corrected, and not beat by superior teams. To me, it's not Iowa's scheme, but the execution. Erase the turnovers and at least half the sacks and the last two games have different outcomes. Sorry, I know most people don't want positive outlooks on things.

Reactions: steelrain
I read on Twitter from Morehouse I believe that Iowa lost two games to teams who have better talent top to bottom then Iowa has. I would agree with that assessment. The defense is not the problem overall, however I was disappointed when they let Ped State run right up the gut to run the clock out and end the game. Iowa has always been the type of team that against top teams must play a complete clean game to win, and the past two games the offense was far from clean. However, who would have thought that as bad as the OL has looked the past two weeks, along with the turnovers Iowa still had a chance to win both games. So, either Michigan and Ped State are not very good, or Iowa isn't as bad as a lot of people here think. You can't give up 8 sacks and 4 turnovers to very many teams and have a chance to win like they did at Michigan, and give up the sacks, turn the ball over and not convert when you have the chance and beat many teams like they did against Ped State. Not making excuses, but Iowa beat themselves that past two weeks with mistakes which can be corrected, and not beat by superior teams. To me, it's not Iowa's scheme, but the execution. Erase the turnovers and at least half the sacks and the last two games have different outcomes. Sorry, I know most people don't want positive outlooks on things.
some truth.. but you often make more mistakes vs better team.. being an OT facing Epensa or Gross-Matos/Toney would have you twitchy and nervous as hell. If your don't break down against Hamler it's six instead of 3 extra yards. The better the opponent the more sound you have to be. For whatever reason Iowa has not been as sound the past 5/6 years.. my guess is that new schemes in the BIG stress their Base D a lot more than the prior O's that PSU and OSU used to run.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
I agree up to scheme and execution.
Its a bad plan for a team to have to have near perfect execution in order to win the majority of the time.
That leaves schemes to improve execution.
I believe in and admire how KF teaches hard work, effort, strong mind. All very tangible things very important to success in anything.
But IMO always falling back to execution as the reasoning for losses tells you something else needs to change. Scheme to help create good matchups, open running lanes etc. etc.
IMO its the only thing KFs regime has lacked. And yes, I do think that adding that element wins 11/2 more games per year on average. Yes that means that they do have to execute those different schemes but I believe it creates more opportunities to with stand execution problems.

PSU had their best RB going off for close to 5ypc, so you are ignoring that statistic. They did not score a lot, overall defense played pretty well, but got gashed a little in run game. The PSU QB was not anywhere close to McSorely level in pass game...and PSU didn't have Saquon Barkley...so the quality of the PSU offense wasn't that great vs past PSU teams that have come into Kinnick.
Inept Iowa Offense lost the game for Iowa and mostly because OL got dominated by PSU DL.
PSU has a damm good defense. They are a legit Top Ten team. The loss to Michigan was more disappointing to me.

Reactions: steelrain
Dude, Northwestern QBs have been running all over Iowa for over a decade... Where have you been?

What gets me is anyone laying any blame on the defense whatsoever. They’ve easily played well enough to win the last 2 games. I guess they just need to be Wisconsin’s defense and score more points than the opponent’s offense.

Crush Purdue and find a way to beat NW and Iowa will be playing for the west at Wisco we are not losing at home to Minnesota and Illinois and NE will be cake walks. Have faith.

This is a free message board. People come on here and express their opinions about anything Hawkeye. 99% of us are lifelong Hawkeye fans.
What gets me is that some think it is their responsibility to defend anything that is perceived negative toward the Hawks. Why does everything need to be defended.
I started this thread because I am tired of seeing mobile QB's run through our defense through the years and it is still happenning. Wouldn't we all like to see our competition at 3rd and 6 and we stop them and force them to punt rather than seeing the QB run for 12 and move the chains and run out the clock.
Yes, statistically we have a really good defense. However, we still allow mobile QB's to run at will on us and have for a long time. I would think that against some teams it would be appropriate to have a person assigned on certain down and distance situations to the QB much like some teams put in the nickle back when it's a passing situation.
Now, you can respond by telling me how great Phil Parker is and so on and I shouldn't question anything.

This is a free message board. People come on here and express their opinions about anything Hawkeye. 99% of us are lifelong Hawkeye fans.
What gets me is that some think it is their responsibility to defend anything that is perceived negative toward the Hawks. Why does everything need to be defended.
I started this thread because I am tired of seeing mobile QB's run through our defense through the years and it is still happenning. Wouldn't we all like to see our competition at 3rd and 6 and we stop them and force them to punt rather than seeing the QB run for 12 and move the chains and run out the clock.
Yes, statistically we have a really good defense. However, we still allow mobile QB's to run at will on us and have for a long time. I would think that against some teams it would be appropriate to have a person assigned on certain down and distance situations to the QB much like some teams put in the nickle back when it's a passing situation.
Now, you can respond by telling me how great Phil Parker is and so on and I shouldn't question anything.
Question: What would the offense do after that? They may get a little better field position out of it, but the offense still needs to finish drives and score touchdowns. The defense can’t help them with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT